SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Illegible Handwriting
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Illegible Handwriting Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Illegible Handwriting

Some of the worst offenders, people whose handwriting, I would think, must be clear and legible, are doctors. Ever see a doctor's handwriting on a prescription? Pharmacists must have a fun time.

It’s a daily struggle to play “Guess what drug”.

GW.

Posts: 642 | Location: Auburn, AL | Registered: August 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I have notoriously horrific handwriting. Always have.

Hindsight being 20/20, I'm pretty sure it's got something to do with being a genetic freak and having an extra muscle compressing the ulnar nerves in both elbows. After getting it corrected, I can barely write 2 pages legibly. Any more than that and I'm tempting fate.

In college I was introduced to block lettering (my instructor called it single stroke gothic). Changed my life. Now my handwriting, while still bad, is legible.

For what it's worth, I was taught cursive in school, but was summarily banned from using it from high school on because I can't write legibly to save my life.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
My handwriting has always not been that great. When I am writing something for someone else to read I take my time and it is very easy to read just not neat.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Technology has much to blame, theres little need to actually hand write things in schools, voice to text translating software allows you to speak your paper into type, save as a pdf and email your teacher.

Recall in my High School days, not many guys would take the typewriting class, a few of us did, pushed by me as I figured out that typing out my essays got me extra points since the teachers/prof's could actually ready what my thoughts were. I had the luxury of access to a IBM Selectric and some of the first home PC's.

Isn't the point was to show that we know the subject, not simply that we know it and had handwriting that was legible, to this date I still have decent but not great handwriting, I know what was written, well, generally can read my own, but still have problems with hand cramps when writing for extensive periods,

That skill translated to the ability to use my Uncles Trash 80 over the old IBM Selectric to create reports all during my college years.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
my handwriting is illegible even to myself, to the point where I ended up getting allowed to provide my own laptop and type all my notes in school.

I can however type faster than anyone else I've ever met.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I am a left-handed doctor. Need I say more?
Best course I took in high school was typing.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I protect myself from forgery - if you can read it, I most certainly didn't write it.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
I’ll trade my writing skills for your shirt buttoning skills on my starched shirts. Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Having been retired for a decade now, my need to hand write has diminished. That said I still favor my fountain pens with bold broad nibs. Just last week I had a bank official comment on my handwriting. I appreciated that. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
It isn't because I wasn't taught script/cursive in school because I was but mine is at times nearly illegible and at best it's readable.

Like bald1 though I have always liked fountain pens, which I do not have any of at present.

My maternal Grandmother used a fountain pen all her life (Grandfather bought her a ball point once) she refused to use it. She had several daughters that were in their married life at varying distances from her and she would write them letters (in cursive) several days a week. She had a beautiful hand. I just wish some of it had rubbed off on me.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post

It could be worse.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

At our local clinic and hospital, prescriptions are printed by a printer (off the computer), and signed by the Dr. And that's only if the scrip needs to be a hard copy (scheduled drugs). Otherwise, the Dr. can fax it directly to my pharmacy from his little notebook computer he brings to the examining room. Another benefit of electronic records, I suppose.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
I protect myself from forgery - if you can read it, I most certainly didn't write it.

And if you try to copy it, I can tell its not mine by the fact the little squiggles are wrong.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post