SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Appropriate use of the ER
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Appropriate use of the ER Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
Coming to the ER and demanding to be tested for Corona Virus because you got your dinner from a drive-thru window and one of the kitchen workers sneezed, is not an appropriate use of the ER.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
I hope you kicked their ass out!

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Where is this comet already!

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Mrs.BurtonRW works in an Urgent Care facility. I couldn't begin to tell you the stories from the last few weeks.

Recently, they posted big signs on the doors advising everyone that they can't test for COVID-19, so go away if that's why you're here. They also won't see you if you've been out of the country, a handful of specific locations here, or otherwise have a known exposure. Doesn't stop people from LYING about their exposure to get in the door and then telling doc they wanted to be checked out because they've been out of the country, in one of the hot spots, or otherwise exposed. All this, knowing full well that they CAN'T be tested there.

IDIOTS & ASSHOLES.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Coming to the ER and demanding to be tested for Corona Virus ...

What action, if any, is taken? Do you turn them away? Or do you take them in and use up whatever test kits you may have, or have left, to test them?

quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:

They also won't see you if you've been out of the country, a handful of specific locations here, or otherwise have a known exposure.

By "here," do you mean the country? Your state? City? I imagine some neighborhoods in, for example, Baltimore, are a breeding ground.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of our local hospitals has set up a fever and cough clinic where people can be seen. It has been helpful keeping nonemergent patients out of the ER and also helped with the Urgent Care Clinics. There are also numbers to call where you can speak with a nurse to be screened without leaving the house. Of course not everyone is prudent and follows these guidelines.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Should’ve told them the new Wuhan Flu test requires an enema, stat.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Should’ve told them the new Wuhan Flu test requires an enema, stat.

To some people, that might be encouragement, not a deterrent. Just saying.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
I sneeze if I tickle the hair of my right eyebrow on the upper, outer edge just right.
Strange, isn't it. (Rhetorical question.) I've known this (both) for years.
You'll be glad to know I've never felt a need to go to the ER for these conditions. Smile

ETA: This could be handy as a people repellent. "I don't need a gun; I've got a sneeze." Crocodile Dundee

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
What action, if any, is taken? Do you turn them away? Or do you take them in and use up whatever test kits you may have, or have left, to test them?

We can't turn them away, we have to treat everyone who comes into the ER, for now. That will be changing if the situation worsens. It's now the doc's discretion on testing. Used to be approval had to come from the state/CDC. That said, sniffles are not getting tested, unless they just got off a plane from Wuhan.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Coming to the ER and demanding to be tested for Corona Virus ...

quote:

They also won't see you if you've been out of the country, a handful of specific locations here, or otherwise have a known exposure.

By "here," do you mean the country? Your state? City? I imagine some neighborhoods in, for example, Baltimore, are a breeding ground.

I mean certain states in CONUS, like Washington. There’s a short list which doesn’t make particular sense (more based on wherever the current national press coverage has focused) and wasn’t being updated as other hot spots started to appear. The chain she works for is pretty much a clusterfuck of incompetence in terms of executive leadership and overall management on a good day, so the fact that they’re winging this completely isn’t particularly surprising.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mrs.BurtonRW works in an Urgent Care facility. I couldn't begin to tell you the stories from the last few weeks.

Recently, they posted big signs on the doors advising everyone that they can't test for COVID-19, so go away if that's why you're here. They also won't see you if you've been out of the country, a handful of specific locations here, or otherwise have a known exposure. Doesn't stop people from LYING about their exposure to get in the door and then telling doc they wanted to be checked out because they've been out of the country, in one of the hot spots, or otherwise exposed. All this, knowing full well that they CAN'T be tested there.

IDIOTS & ASSHOLES.

-Rob

I have been to the "hotspots" and out of the country, a lot.

I'll have to be bleeding to death or suffocating before I'll drag myself to an ER or urgent care: that's most likely where I'll get infected.

I haven't been tested. I won't be getting tested, either. If I'm not showing symptoms, it doesn't matter: I'm not interacting. If I am showing symptoms, then I'll ride it out until I can't, at which time I'll be tested for everything but the virus, and eventually tested for that if nothing else plays out. Otherwise, beyond a few necessities that need to get done, it's home, then back to the "hot spots."

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
The disgusting part of this is how much many supplies have been stolen from the hospital over the past week. Last week, 7 cases of face masks were stolen. Disinfectant wipes are no longer kept in patient areas, estimated that over 150 of them went out the door over the last week. Earlier this week I had a patient steal 4 boxes of gloves out of a room.

posted Hide Post
The last place I want to be right now is an ER. Maybe if I get shot or sever a limb. They're cesspits of infection and lunacy.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am greatly relieved to have left working urgent care medicine last month. My new non ER/ urgent care job starts next week. I will be happy to tell people I only do bones and joints now- cough and fever not my lane anymore

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I have to admit that made me laugh out loud.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
I worked the Boo Boo Bus Sunday. Every patient we transported was ALS. ER was pretty deserted. It's a PITA to get in now. Hospital did set up a drive through testing site about half a mile from the hospital. That was probably a decoy to keep them away from the ER.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:

Every patient we transported was ALS.
ALS? Confused

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Advanced Life Support

Posts: 1057 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Where is this comet already!

It's here, but it's very small:

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post