SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Wayne National Forest trail riding sshhh!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wayne National Forest trail riding sshhh! Login/Join 
posted
We have gone ATV/UTV riding to Wayne National Forest a couple times before.

It seemed kinda expensive to buy a pass to ride your own vehicle on the trails there in other years.

The first time we had to pay for a sticker from the State of Ohio for 7$/3 yr sticker.
Then I think it was about 9$ for each person riding and that sticker was placed on the helmet, which you could switch out with each rider.

Last year you had to have a regular Ohio license plate which is About 26$/3 years and it was 17$/person and you had to keep the permit on you and it is written for a specific person, no switching, though you only use one vehicle.

This year, same license plate for ATV or UTV but the new price is 20$/person.

The trails have really eroded since last year and one trail was so flooded by a beaver dam, you had to turn around as you did not know where the trail was. Trees were down across the trail, some were cut out barely enough to squeeze thru, other smaller you had to go over.
Some of the trail was eroded on one side so bad it would almost tip you over sideways to ride it.
Some large branches were over the trail so that if you or your passenger was not attentive, you could get decapitated.

I was not looking for a walk in the park but, heck is it against the law to drain off SOME of the dammed up water? To cut off a few branches and to move a couple rocks?
And then you make the move to increase the price by 3 bucks a head?
Fines for riding without permits include 250$ and or impounding the vehicle.
I ranted long enough...feel a little better thanks.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guess I'll keep looking for a place to ride then. Sad as Wayne is a short drive from me.

I've heard good things about the Hatfield-McCoy trails from coworkers, if you're open to a bit more of a drive. Especially nice for the UTV crowd as they seem to be set up to allow you to basically ride everywhere (gas, food, camping, etc.).

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, If you have a UTV, Wayne is probably not for you.
Last year I ran into a man and woman from Cleveland, riding a Polaris X2. I have one of those, a couple years older than his.
He said the Ranger started to write him a ticket for riding two up(double).
He had to show him his owners manual, where it stated that the Polaris X2 was specifically made to ride double. That is what the X2(times 2)stands for.
We thought we are gonna check out North western Michigan. The problem is that there are not many places to stay up there.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has been a long time since I've been to Wayne. Are all the trails still 50" or do they allowed wider now?

Posts: 759 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
We ride Waynes in the spring, not long after opening weekend and the trails have always been in good shape. These last couple years they have made big strides in improving the trials. 10 years ago the trails were in pretty poor shape and we stopped going for a couple years. I keep a 24" bow saw in my pack so if I come across any limbs in the way, I can cut them down. Doesn't work for downed trees though.

It is my understanding that the DNR got rid of the day pass and now it 3-Day and seasonal passes. Wen we go down for the weekend, we typically boondock in the parking lot so the trail pass (outside of the ATV registration) is all we pay for.

An interesting thing this speing, we met a couple guys that were open carrying while riding and another open carry guy while he was looking for Morel mushrooms. I haven't carried while riding down there but thinking it may not be a bad ides 'justin'. I have to say that I don't get a good nights rest while sleeping in the parking lot since the area is not very populated.

If you want to ride some really rutted out trails, go over to Mines and Meadows by Pittsburgh. The trails over there have really gone downhill since the old man died.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post