SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Idiots who should know better
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Idiots who should know better Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
We could all probably do a thread a week and not run out, but here is my humble submission for the past week:

Veteran officer, walking around with no magazines in his pouches. I ask him where his mags are, and he says he keeps them in his car, because he won't need them, and if he does, he will get them when he gets out of the car. I suggest this isn't a dependable plan of action, but he doubles down on his position.

WTF? You can't make this shit up. This aint' exactly Mayberry...

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I hope you are not partnered with Barney, or one of six.

Stay safe.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Stay safe.

Hell, we talk about Officers who are fighters, and Officers who are ammo carriers...what's that make this dummy?

At least I know what to expect when he shows up...

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Hot Lead Interceptor.

God, forbid.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
if he does, he will get them when he gets out of the car.

Wait, this guy knows how his calls will end before he even gets out of the cruiser?

He needs to buy a lottery ticket and retire yesterday!

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
"I am a dumbass and either don't know where my mags are, or know where they are but don't have them, and I think this explanation makes me look LESS like a dumbass."

Posts: 2452 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Guess he prays his God get to him before Murphy and Darwin do...

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Doesn't sound too experienced for a "veteran officer". Hopefully, he won't have to learn the hard way.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Is that sort of thing allowed by department policy? Can you point out what he is doing to a supervisor?

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
He may be a "veteran" officer but he is not an "experienced" officer.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
We do not rise to the level of our expectations.
We fall to the level of our training. --Archilochus, Greek Soldier, 650 BC

In this case, the lowest level of his readiness.

This reminds me of the people who carry but never train or practice. They think in the heat of the moment they're going to smoothly pull that pistol & deliver a center-mass double-tap in .8 seconds.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

time for a wake up call

Mas Ayoob must have at least a half a dozen stories about people who ran out of ammo,
he would do good to read them

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hot Lead Interceptor.

God, forbid.

Bullet catcher

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
quote:

WTF? You can't make this shit up. This aint' exactly Mayberry...

And there, folks, is the understatement of the week!

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Veteran officer, walking around with no magazines in his pouches. I ask him where his mags are, and he says he keeps them in his car, because he won't need them, and if he does, he will get them when he gets out of the car. I suggest this isn't a dependable plan of action, but he doubles down on his position.

Regular F'n Genius!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8320 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
We do not rise to the level of our expectations.
We fall to the level of our training. --Archilochus, Greek Soldier, 650 BC

In this case, the lowest level of his readiness.

This reminds me of the people who carry but never train or practice. They think in the heat of the moment they're going to smoothly pull that pistol & deliver a center-mass double-tap in .8 seconds.

Hell, I resurrected an original Nintendo NES. Using the light gun from a holster (yes...I'm serious lol...) I can't consistently hit targets under .8 seconds playing Hogan's Alley.

That's serious training; )

-JALLEN

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Stay safe.

Hell, we talk about Officers who are fighters, and Officers who are ammo carriers...what's that make this dummy?

At least I know what to expect when he shows up...

A prospective human shield, a two legged diversionary device, future organ donor, wanna be morgue meat?

Posts: 4546 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Junior: "When I put bullets in it Daddy it gets too heavy."

Sombitch

Posts: 2504 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wallacemf
posted Hide Post
My wife used to be an LEO- she's not anymore but she still carries at least two extra mags out of habit. Well, ok she usually carries an extra gun as well Eek

Posts: 377 | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the old revolver days, I would see guys with bullet loops on their duty belts.
This was bad enough, but the bullets were showing green mold.
Well.... it was a simpler time. Eek

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post