SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Amazon.com screwed up a simple shirt order THREE TIMES
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon.com screwed up a simple shirt order THREE TIMES Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
I ordered a nice VertX shirt from Amazon.com several days ago. (Shipped and sold by Amazon, not a third party seller.) First package arrived last weekend, and the shirt they sent me was a Large, whereas I had ordered a XL. I did an automated exchange and sent it back, with an XL replacement being shipped to me.

Second shirt arrived Thursday. This second shirt was also a Large. This time I got on Customer Service chat, explained the situation, and let them know there was something wrong with their inventory. The chat guy assured me that it wouldn't happen again, and sent out a third replacement XL shirt.

Third package showed up this morning. And, you guessed it, it was a Large again. I hopped back on chat, and this time, after they requested that I send them photos of the third incorrectly sized shirt, I was told by two different chat reps that there was no way for them to just send me the right size, and my only option was to send the shirts back, get a refund, and order it from somewhere else other than Amazon.

The problem is that Amazon.com sold it for $21, but it's $85 everywhere else. So if I were to try to get it elsewhere, I'd have to pay 4x as much. No thanks; I don't want it that badly. Guess I'll just do without.

With as big of an operation as Amazon runs, I'm really surprised that they shipped me the wrong size three times, especially once the error had been specifically pointed out to a human CS rep, and that they eventually just gave up rather than trying to get me the correct size after all.

Amazon used to really be on top of their game, especially when it came to customer service. Now it seems like they've grown too large to really give a shit, or to rapidly correct errors. Like the old adage about turning a large ship.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Jeezy Petes that is a lot of error in the face of reasonable expectation. As a saying goes "...three times is enemy action."

Sometimes I think about buying clothing online and then I read posts like yours.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Amazon used to really be on top of their game, especially when it came to customer service. Now it seems like they've grown too large to really give a shit, or to rapidly correct errors. Like the old adage about turning a large ship.

^^^^^^^^^^
I ordered the Sordin earmuffs. Took five tries to get it right even when reading the SKU number to them. Wrong muffs, opened packages, missing batteries. Same trouble with exorbitant pricing elsewhere. The large ship seems to have run aground.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But I saw on their television commercial that they provide a supportive work environment for transgenders, so they've got that going for them, even if they can't get a shirt order right.

Posts: 780 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was told by two different chat reps that there was no way for them to just send me the right size
Jeff@Amazon.com

Of course he won't see it, but he has a small army of people to deal with problems sent to this email address.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I recently was burned by fleabay similar to your experience. I liked two printed tee's so I purchased two of each for a total of four. The guy only sent two shirts. I contacted him and he replied but hardly any recognizable form of english. He said he sent them. I replied that I purchased TWO of each and left it at that. I'm not a hard-nose so I just told him that it would be my last contact and no feedback would be left, negative or otherwise.I understand that may be doing a disservice to others but honestly, I just don't have the patience or mental energy to go back and forth with somebody these days, and with his broken english as is, the energy is best served just moving on and be done with it. First time in over almost 17yrs that I've ever been burned on fleabay but lesson learned about any future purchases. He had many purchases with good feedback but his english desperately needs some help.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Amazon is definitely on a downhill slide from a quality-of-service perspective, in all respects: Order fulfilment, shipping and customer service. I've taken to trying more and more to acquire things locally, even if I have to pay more, and resort to Amazon only if that's not practical.

just1tym, the eBay dispute process is about as painless as can be. I've had to use it twice. But beware: If you foul up any part of initiating it, there's no way to undo it, go back, and do it over. And eBay CS is about as worthless as teats on a boar hog getting dispute snafus straightened out. So I now avoid eBay, except for things that simply aren't available anywhere else, to the extent possible.

We did this to ourselves. These guys came along, offering more for less, and we bit. Now they've put most local merchants out of business, essentially establishing a stranglehold on us, and they're cutting quality.

I saw it coming from a mile off. I'm sure many of the rest of you did, too. And we bit, anyway.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This has worked for me so far with Amazon:
I go over every possible detail for whatever I am ordering before I add it to my cart.
I often find that the same item is listed multiple times at different colors, sizes and prices. Different shippers too.
A big red flag is when the reviews talk about an entirely different item than what is advertised.
This keep the errors down for me. So far, anyway.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The size on the order was correct, and it has nothing to do with different third party shippers since this was sold directly by Amazon.com.

This is a warehouse inventory error on Amazon's part. The shirts have an Amazon barcode label attached that reads Extra Large, whereas the Vertx hang tags and the size label inside the shirts both state Large.

Amazon has apparently mislabeled their entire stock of Large shirts, at least in that color.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
We did this to ourselves. These guys came along, offering more for less, and we bit. Now they've put most local merchants out of business, essentially establishing a stranglehold on us, and they're cutting quality.

Not much different than the government.

You give up your freedom and choices in exchange for a promise to take care of you. And once they're in charge, they'll do whatever they want and there's nothing you can do about it.

Support local businesses.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15692 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not much different than the government.

You give up your freedom and choices in exchange for a promise to take care of you. And once they're in charge, they'll do whatever they want and there's nothing you can do about it.

If I lived in Saint Louis, I would patronize you. You seem honest,forthright, and clearly know your business. I use the internet when I cannot find stuff here or am too lazy to do otherwise. I am a small business and support the local guys. I will post back as to my success with computer data and program transfer. The big box guys overpromised and underdelivered but I got a 25 dollar gift card out of it. It was not worth the hassle and frustration.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Rogue, are you sure it wasn't the very same shirt three times?

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:

I always do--when I can. But when the local businesses simply do not carry the product I want, or their markup is prohibitively high, an Internet business gets my money.

In fact I always try to go with the smallest, most local business I can. Then chain/big-box stores with a local presence. Then the Internet.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eponym:
Rogue, are you sure it wasn't the very same shirt three times?

Yep. The first one I sent back hadn't been received by Amazon by the time I received the second and the third was shipped out to me, and I still had the second one in my possession when I got the third.

Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
Did you try ordering a Large to see what you get?

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tk13:
Did you try ordering a Large to see what you get?

Nope. I did briefly consider ordering an XXL in hopes of getting an XL. Big Grin But the $21 sale price at Amazon has now jumped to $85 for all sizes, just like everywhere else, so it's not worth it. I'll just do without.

Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I ordered a nice VertX shirt from Amazon.com several days ago. (Shipped and sold by Amazon, not a third party seller.) First package arrived last weekend, and the shirt they sent me was a Large, whereas I had ordered a XL. I did an automated exchange and sent it back, with an XL replacement being shipped to me.

Second shirt arrived Thursday. This second shirt was also a Large. This time I got on Customer Service chat, explained the situation, and let them know there was something wrong with their inventory. The chat guy assured me that it wouldn't happen again, and sent out a third replacement XL shirt.

Third package showed up this morning. And, you guessed it, it was a Large again. I hopped back on chat, and this time, after they requested that I send them photos of the third incorrectly sized shirt, I was told by two different chat reps that there was no way for them to just send me the right size, and my only option was to send the shirts back, get a refund, and order it from somewhere else other than Amazon.

The problem is that Amazon.com sold it for $21, but it's $85 everywhere else. So if I were to try to get it elsewhere, I'd have to pay 4x as much. No thanks; I don't want it that badly. Guess I'll just do without.

With as big of an operation as Amazon runs, I'm really surprised that they shipped me the wrong size three times, especially once the error had been specifically pointed out to a human CS rep, and that they eventually just gave up rather than trying to get me the correct size after all.

I haven’t read all the replies, but being in SCS/warehousing for the last 20 years, I would be willing to wager that the shirts were mis-received.
The receiver scanned them in as size XL, when in fact they are a L. Being that you have bought and returned the same item three times, I would be willing to bet that it flagged the item for a cycle count by the inventory team.
They will find it and fix it, but in a warehouse with 50k items or more, it’ll take some time. I’m sure there are quite a few other counts in the queue before these shirts. Each time it is returned, it goes back through the receiving and distribution process.
Not sure if there are color options, but if you chose a different color, you would most likely get the right size.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also work in warehousing and understand mistakes happen (three times is pushing it). But damn, Amazon CS basically telling you to bugger off and buy it elsewhere (on top of that screwing you out of a killer deal) is some weapons grade bullshit.

Jeff needs to get out of the office and have a coming to Jesus meeting with everyone.

I would be beyond pissed someone representing me and my organization did that.

Come on Bezos. Put those new muscles to work and put some boots in asses.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post