SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Call Offs!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Call Offs! Login/Join 
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted
I work part time, usually a shift a week for a large EMS agency. I was scheduled to start a 12 hour shift at 18:00 tonight. It's a 50 minute drive in and I like to be there a half hour before my shift starts so I can get our equipment around, do my truck check and re supply so we can can call on the air and in service as soon as our shift starts.

At 16:00 I see the road sup has texted out that they need someone for my shift due to a call off. I'm already in my uniform and collecting my stuff to be ready to walk out the door at 16:30. Of course it's a beautiful fall day and I could be doing winter prep work around the house but the EMS gig feeds my pistol/flashlight/custom knife habits. So I text the sup and he tells me they are trying to find someone to work but could I call in before I leave as they may just cancel my shift. So at 17:00 he asks if I can "stand by" at home for a while. Of course I can't do much as I'm dressed for work. Wife didn't plan on me for dinner so if I don't go in she has to figure out something to make as she was just going to make a sammich for her and watch chick flicks.

So it's 19:30 and no word. Looks like I'm out of a shift for this week. Still sitting here in my uniform. Arggggg! If my partner had called of earlier in the day, I could have gone and worked a MICU unit with a medic I really like. Slot was filled by the time my partner called in. Crap! Going to tell them at 20:00 that I'm out for the night and have a bourbon.

And that's my bitch.

Posts: 11223 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looking at it from another perspective, who knows what could have happened to you if you had gone out. Might be the multiverse trying to keep you safe.

That being said, enjoy your evening, Sir.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
been there done that...nothing like sleeping all day in anticipation of a 12hr night shift and then at 6pm get called off for low census, and then you can burn PTO or tske it without pay....stinks. So glad to be done with that nonsense

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Man that sucks. Nothing like getting jerked around about your shift

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post