SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    People let their lawn mower sit out in the snow all winter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

People let their lawn mower sit out in the snow all winter Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
with last year's gas in it, then can't figure out why it won't start.

I guess I shouldn't bitch, they pay me to drain all the water out of it and clean the carb, but damn...Stupid is rampant.

Daughter couldn't get her old one to start (and it's REALLY old and had the shit beat out of it...) so she went and bought a new one. Which also wouldn't start.

Per my usual procedure, the first thing I did was pull the plug to check for spark. Gap was bridged with what looked like Never Seize. Cleaned that, had spark, still no start.

Apparently, she'd put "gas" in it from a can that sat out in the snow all winter...

Sigh.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15211 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Dad owned some rental properties when I was a kid and in the summer it was my job to cut the grass...He was able to have a lawnmower at each property so I could ride my bike all courtesy of the town dump...He would pick up stuff people would trash thinking they were broken/not worth fixing and a plug, some points and fresh gas was usually all it took to get them running. As added value I learned to fix/rebuild a Briggs and Stratton at a pretty young age

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a neighbor that is on his 3rd riding mower in 12 years . That's a lot of money . This latest one has been stored in the garage . The previous one stayed out in the weather year round . It lasted about three years . Crazy .

Posts: 4051 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Best thing for your lawnmower is to use non-ethanol gasoline. That ethanol eats carburetors for breakfast.

Posts: 9035 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
after he retired , my brother started picking stuff off the curb.

two string trimmers , a hedge clipper and a
mower all started working after 90 minutes of cleaning

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54612 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
Best thing for your lawnmower is to use non-ethanol gasoline. That ethanol eats carburetors for breakfast.

That goes for all lawn equipment. I used to have to replace the fuel lines in my string trimmer and blower every 3ish years. After switching to non-ethanol gas for my mower and premix, the latest lines have lasted 5+ years so far.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:

Absolutely!
I left a 1/4 tank full in my mower last winter and it fired right up after sitting for four months on the first pull. I try to use non-ethanol in my vehicles too if I'm around my usual stations that have it available.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Have been known to go out of my way to find the NON_ethenol fuel. after repairing the weedeater several times and rebuilding carb on the riding mower. Have not used the ethenol fuel in over 4 years and no problems to date. ........now I know my winter climates are not as cold and long lasting as some of you but do nothing to winterize my stuff except maybe a touch of Stabil or Seafoam....................drill sgt.

Posts: 2002 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Its what you get for voting wrong. The idiots in the EPA mandated it because will slow down global warming. Except it hasn't. Its all politics, and we're on the wrong side.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After winter this year, an older friend of mine called me and asked for help.
I went over to his house. He had bought a brand new JD garden tractor. It would not start. He said they delivered it and it started to get it off the trailer. But when he tried to start it NO.

I asked if he put gas in it and he said yeah, the tank was almost empty.
I went home and got my homemade electric fuel transfer unit. I pulled some fuel out and told him it looked and smelled like diesel fuel.
I emptied the tank and he poured some other gas in. Still would not start. He with my trailer took it back. He still had his Cub tractor which would not start. We drained that fuel out and took off his fuel line and drained that. We removed the plug and eventually it started.
I told him the GREEN PUMP handle is for diesel.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
Its what you get for voting wrong. The idiots in the EPA mandated it because will slow down global warming. Except it hasn't. Its all politics, and we're on the wrong side.

How should we be voting? The EPA was created by a Republican president. Ethanol in fuel has been supported by every Republican administration and Republican controlled Congress. Show me who to vote for to eliminate ethanol in my fuel and I will.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I honestly don't know how voting can stop the stuff because it stays during every Democratic president and congress as well. How can a handful of Midwest corn states have this much influence over both parties? Hell if they want to subsidize corn at least do it for food.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7085 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post