SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Maybe I lack sympathy, empathy or whatever, but a bereavement gift for my boss's boss's boss?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maybe I lack sympathy, empathy or whatever, but a bereavement gift for my boss's boss's boss? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Oh now that's great!

Sorry your dad died, here's a great big basket of heart disease and diabetes for you!

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Totally inappropriate in my book, the gift basket and asking for money

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Sorry your dad died, here are some pretzels.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
The fact that it's presumably a request a) by a manager several levels "upstream" for you and b) FOR a manager one or more levels upstream from THAT?

"Good morning, General. The birthday party for President-for-Life Duvalier is tomorrow. You will be contributing to the gift, of course? All of the other generals have already given generously and we'd hate to have to report that you were the only one NOT contributing."

Bullshit on that.

I see nothing wrong with an appropriate "memorial" gift between close friends (for example, a few of us managed to track down & reprint a photo of a friend and his dad that one of us took at a BBQ thirty years ago. Buddy had few pics of his dad and almost none of the two of them together.)

But shakedowns at work? Nah, bruh. Unprofessional and reeks of leg-riding extortion. Add in baby shower "collections," wedding "collections," "They're quitting and their last day is xxx" collection, and you've identified better than 3/4 of the requests I get at work for money from people who--as already noted in this thread-- are co-workers, not friends. The last 1/4 are the kids-selling-stuff ones, which are a whole different rant.

Posts: 2459 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
I never heard of a bereavement gift before this thread.

Same.

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I am confused. The thread title says boss's boss's boss. Did the guy that died work for your company, or was it the father of someone who worked for the company? If the guy that died did not work for the company, I don't see how this is even remotely appropriate.

ETA: I re-read it, sounds like it's the boss's boss's boss's father, lol. Isn't that like someone's boss's father three times removed? LOL.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Yeah it’s the father of someone that works for the company. The person that works for the company is 3 levels higher than me. I know him. I’m in meetings with him and he interacts with us all somewhat regularly. But certainly not enough for this type of thing. Especially since the flowers the company pays for would state it was from his entire organization. I see no reason to do more. Consider also that there are now 4 other departments that likely didn’t send something separate. It’s just not the appropriate thing to do.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12423 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Instead of cookies, how about an urn? Or a cake with no candles?

Just no.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't send or contribute shit.

The Army always tries to shake people down for retirement or PCS awards. It wasn't my fucking idea to spend money on a plaque or whatever, don't ask me for money.

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I work in a union shop and it’s customary for all to sign a card and buck up for flowers if a coworker has a death in the family. The company does the same and if the funeral is local they allow anyone to attend briefly.

Posts: 74 | Location: Delco and LBI | Registered: April 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post