SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I now own cowboy boots for some reason.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I now own cowboy boots for some reason. Login/Join 
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
You moved to Texas, I get that. Like cowboy boots, hats? I get it.

What I never understood is feeling like you have to "be in style" or whatever you want to call it.

Just maybe don't get the chaps?

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
I can't understand how anyone can get the things on an off. I use a shoe horn on a lot of my foot-ware.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2401 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was always told they come in handy for stomping bugs in tight corners.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I was always told they come in handy for stomping bugs in tight corners.

And for quickly climbing up chain link fences Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
I have lived in TX my whole life. Cowboy boots are definitely not a requirement. IN the cities few wear them. They are big in Ft. Worth, San Antonio and out in the country. You don't need a cowboy hat either and nobody commutes to work on a horse.

What!?!? I just bought a horse, I figured it would be quicker than 121 at 0800 Big Grin

Guess I am the odd ball, I grew up in WPA and have been wearing boots since I was 15 and bought my first pair with my own money.

I just bought a pair of Anderson Bean with a crepe sole....very nice
https://andersonbean.com/

And since my normal hat was looking worst for wear I recently picked up a nicer cheapy cowboy hat...since as my wife says "You would sunburn at midnight" it's nice for picnics and such

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Hiking boots and boonie hats way more practical and you don't look like an extra in a John Wayne movie.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I'm up to three pair. I'm entertaining the idea of buying a pair of these, come fall: Tecovas The Cartwright

I recently bought a pair of them and like them a lot.

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10353 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yanici:
I can't understand how anyone can get the things on an off. I use a shoe horn on a lot of my foot-ware.

You use a Boot Jack.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Hiking boots and boonie hats way more practical and you don't look like an extra in a John Wayne movie.

I've never received complements on my hiking boots or my boonie hat, but I sure have received more than my fair share on my cowboy boots and hats.

Yeah, I'm happily married and well out of "the market," but it's still gratifying to have an attractive woman half your age, or less, up and say "I like your hat" or "nice boots." It's not a question of being vain. It's a question of liking to look good. Yeah, I know: Outmoded concept. A throwback to an earlier place and time, I guess I am. Back to a time when people cared about their appearance.

Btw: I you like cowboy boots, but want something with traction, that's waterproof: Dan Post Men's 69681 Waterproof Boot

I wear those essentially all winter long. In addition to the lugged sole, they have roper boot heel, which is much lower than a typical cowboy boot. I've found them to be very stable on all surfaces.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Word of advice from someone who's been fitting running shoes on folks for years: Make sure you get fit properly.

I had a pair of Nocona snakeskin boots I bought in Albuquerque years ago. They were comfortable after I got used to them.

But my feet didn't like them. I developed Morton's Neuroma, a pinched nerve in the metatarsals. The likely culprit: shoes that were too tight in the toe area. This is one reason high heels are horrible for women: they cause the foot to be jammed into a pointy toe with weight pushing on them.

Trust me, you don't want Morton's Neuroma.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A good fit is imperative! Nothing worse than boots that start to hurt in the middle of the day. Sales guy’s question was prob directed towards wheather you’d be better suited with a walking boot (lower heel) like a Roper or a higher heal. I prefer a more rounded toe as I don’t try to chase roaches into corners for the kill enabled by pointy toes. I have wide feet and fit is hard to find. Good heel fit is important to much vertical movement makes for blisters. Still need enogh grip in body of boot to keep foot from sliding forward into narrow toe thereby jammong toes together. Get an experienced salesperson.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post

Yeah. That is a good looking boot.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxdog:
Good heel fit is important to much vertical movement makes for blisters. Still need enogh grip in body of boot to keep foot from sliding forward into narrow toe thereby jammong toes together.

Unfortunately, these two requirements make for a boot that can take a degree of effort to remove.

Hint: If it takes an unusual amount of effort to get a boot on, may be best to find other footwear that day. If it was difficult to get on, it'll be hell to get off.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I like boots, for the most part, but find that I don't like my own appearance in them when I'm overweight/portly/fat. Look like a pig on stilts. I therefore am not currently wearing mine, but when I do I prefer the square toed and low heeled version to roach stompers.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
A couple thoughts:

Breaking in boots: While in the army our standard practice to break in a new pair of boots was to wash the oil out of them by throwing them in the washing machine and run a wash cycle. Put the on wet and walk them dry. Of course, that required a new treatment to replace the color (black) washed out. But they were comfortable, and after drying were easy to re-color and spit shine. Quit buying issue boots in favor of Corcorans.

May not want to do that with an expensive pair of western/cowboy boots.

I have very sensitive feet due to getting them frozen when I was 14.

Heel selection on cowboy boots is also a consideration.

I have a pair of Luchese (sp?) that I bought down in the SW quite a while ago. Have to check and see if they still fit.

A couple years ago, I was in town, wearing the boots and the expensive "cowboy" hat. Several people commented (favorably) and wondered where I live in Texas. Smile

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grew up with western boots. We didn't call them "cowboy boots." Just boots. Or maybe work boots. Everyone wore them. When I was a kid I was taxiing a piper cub and as I made a turn onto the gravel runway, the heel of my boot stuck under the rudder pedal. The cub uses heel brakes, and I sat there in the back seat going in circles, around and around. I stopped the airplane, pried the boot out of the rudder pedal, took the other off, and threw them out the door. I never wore them again, and still won't to this day.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
They do make slim rubber stick on for the soles.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
First thing you do when you buy your first set of boots is beat the hell out of them, roll them around in cowshit and mud, maybe run them over a few times with your truck and buff them up with a rock.

Then, clean them up and wear them. They'll be some of the most comfortable footwear you've ever worn (if sized correctly).

Otherwise, you'll look like Jim Carrey in Dumb & Dumber. A look we see around here quite often with people moving here and trying to "fit in with the locals". Roll Eyes

I once worked with a doc who had moved up here from FL I believe. Black fella, which is out of place in these parts to begin with. We had a department get together at a local sports bar one night and he walks in decked out in brand new boots, skin tight Wranglers, a southwestern patterned jacket, and a cowboy hat.

I felt bad for the guy and pulled him aside. Big Grin

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Speaking as a CA transplant, welcome to Texas Cool

I'm also looking into my first pair, custom made pair by JL Mercer, recommended by friends. But damn, the price and waiting time (up to one year) is daunting Smile. Met one of the guys there, really friendly folk.

Congrats on your escape.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
If you don't know why you need boots, you really can't be helped.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post