SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I now own cowboy boots for some reason.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I now own cowboy boots for some reason. Login/Join 
Picture of jack32586
posted
Retiring and moving to Texas this weekend. Lots of people talking about cowboy boots. I always reply- You ever seen me on a horse? Then the wife chimes in with "Babe, you should get some boots" Well shit. So off to Boot Barn I go. Whats the big deal, I'll get some boots and if the need to kick some shit comes up, bam I'm there.

I saunter in the Barn, and am greeted by an old guy. Wearing a cowboy hat. Ok, I get it, its part of the costume. He asks if he can help, and I say I need some boots. What do you need them for? How do I answer this? Shit kicking, sheep wrastling, cattle rustling, boot scooting- hell I don't know. I tell him I just need some casual boots that are good for general purpose. He looks at my feet, and asks "have you ever worn boots before"? OK, here we go. I'm wearing Asolo heavy hiking boots. I guess these don't count. I also have a pair of Whites. I tell him, just these and Whites.

Obviously none of this counts. he shows me 7000 pairs of boots. They all pretty much have slick soles. Can I get these re-soled with a Vibram lugged sole? Why would you want to do that, he wants to know. I want to shout- because I'll break my damn neck walking up carpeted stairs on these skis, and I'll never need them to slide into a stirrup. Do you wax the bottom? And hour and a half later I leave with some
Caiman boots. I kinda like them. Probably wont wear them alot. I'm considering taking a file to the bottom. Now, about that hat......

Posts: 203 | Location: S/W Florida | Registered: October 10, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Rough the bottom up a bit on a curb just like new dress shoes with leather soles. You'll be fine. Smile

If you got Mexican pointy boots, I can't help. Big Grin

Posts: 3571 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
You can get cowboy-style boots with textured rubber soles. Usually sold as "Western work boots".

You just don't want to go riding in them.

The slick soles on most cowboy boots allows your foot to slide in and out of the stirrups on your horse. With a textured sole, if you fall or get thrown/bucked off the horse, your boot will stick in the stirrup, and you'll get dragged and trampled until the horse gets tired of running. Likely to your death.

Posts: 32416 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
The soles aren't really a problem, 'cept on really slick surfaces such as ice.

I've worn j-toe boots for years. Never crashed wearin' 'em yet Smile.

Warning: Depending on a variety of factors, break-in can be both lengthy and... uncomfortable. My most comfortable boots took months to break in. But now, even after years, they're still nearly as comfortable as a pair of sneakers.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26003 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jack32586
posted Hide Post
If I'm ever in danger of getting bucked off a horse- you all have my permission to unplug it!

I had to look up Jtoe. I got square toe, but not wide square. Maybe clip toe. Hell I don't know. Toe style never came up.

Posts: 203 | Location: S/W Florida | Registered: October 10, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
You’ll grow to love them. I wore boots to work every day for about 15 years and I’m not sure I even owned a pair of shoes. I was a agricultural banker in a small cattle town. When in Rome.

I eventually wore them out and don’t own a pair today.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4212 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of lucchese goatskin ropers that are about the most comfortable shoes/boots I have. Boots are great - minus the crazy pointy ones.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I hadn't worn boots since I was a kid. Bought a pair of Ariat earlier this year.
Didn't expect to, but wear them all the time.

Good boot socks are my recommendation, I still need a get a few more pairs.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15143 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I buy and sell old cowboy boots all the time. 7,000 pair in the store wouldn't be an exaggeration. Never had a problem with the smooth sole. A file wouldn't be necessary as they will wear just fine over time. Some boot makers will manufacture boots with a rubber insert in the leather sole. Most just have the rubber heel pads.

Do I have a horse? No. A good pair of boots can last for many years and you may not want to wear anything else.

Congrats on your retirement.

Posts: 9109 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Word of advice. Boots and shorts don't mix. (Unless you're a woman.) Don't be that guy.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the fraternity. I've got Justin Calf, Lucchese Caiman, and Caborca Crocodile.

Love a good pair of boots.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
“for some reason.”

Posts: 13163 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Just tuck your pant legs inside the boots and walk around town till comfortably broken in.

"You'll be fine," they said as he was sent along his way. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Pictures, cowpoke.

In the word's of Klein's favorite son, Lyle Lovett:

"So won't you let me help you mister
Just pull your hat down the way I do
And buy your pants just a little longer
And next time somebody laughs at you."

Make sure your pants are long enough for boots. Go up two inches from your pants for regular shoes.

And in the same song, Lyle also sings:

"That's right, you're not from Texas
But Texas wants you anyway."

Welcome to the Lone Star State.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'm up to three pair. I'm entertaining the idea of buying a pair of these, come fall: Tecovas The Cartwright

Now... hats... Good luck with that. I'm up to about a dozen: Felt, beaver (I think), oilskin, straw. Some with stampede straps, some not. One or two closer to a fedora than a cowboy hat, most unmistakably cowboy hats. Which one I wear depends upon what else I'm wearing and the weather.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26003 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
You are escaping CA to a welcoming TX.

Maybe it's time to just go with the flow? Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I have lived in TX my whole life. Cowboy boots are definitely not a requirement. IN the cities few wear them. They are big in Ft. Worth, San Antonio and out in the country. You don't need a cowboy hat either and nobody commutes to work on a horse.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12565 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lucchese

These will ruin you for life.
Not in a bad way.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12347 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
... and nobody commutes to work on a horse.

I bet somebody, somewhere, does Smile

quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Lucchese

These will ruin you for life.
Not in a bad way.

'Cept for your pocketbook.

posted Hide Post
I was in the same camp as you when a buddy talked me into buying a pair. After I got used to them I loved them, so much so that I bought a second pair that I could wear with a suit

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post