SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The nifty names some give their special children are not good ideas.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The nifty names some give their special children are not good ideas. Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Insurance adjuster I dealt with:
Tijuana Hooker

Kid on opposing football team:
Yourhighness Morgan

If I was reading resumes for a job candidate and ran across the stupid names out there now, they would go in the trash.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regarding 20 yr. old Atom Molecule M-----, I just read in the local paper that he is headed to prison here in Az. Seems that while out of the pokey for transporting illegals pending court, he was nabbed peddling ganja to the high school kids. With the enhancement that he was selling in a school zone. Oops.
Got 4+ years in the penitentiary. They will have fun with his name there.
BTW, Otto Pilot, I think you nailed it, haha

Posts: 403 | Registered: November 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the 1950s I went to elementary school with a kid who’s father had named his 4 children Alpha, Beta, Chi etc. in that order. Not sure how many kids in total. “Delta” might be awlward for a boy although I suppose “Del” would work.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
It occurs to me we need to pay tribute to the show with a staff chock full of nifty names: https://www.cartalk.com/content/staff-credits

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 715 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
golfed with a guy named Richard Head.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really dislike stripper names for girls, or cute names for boys. Do these moronic parents really understand the kid has to live with that name for the next 70 years??? Named my son John, after his mom's dad. I had to remind people that his name was JOHN, not Jon, not Johhney, not Jack. Not sure why people have to get cute with names. I also believe strongly that a name should have some significance, such as a family name or named after a close friend. Not a celebrity or taken from the book at the check out line. Long after mommy and daddy are croaked, the kid will be saddled with a goofy name that belongs on the top of a booking card.

Posts: 652 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Knew a guy whose last name was DICK.

Of course his Naval Aviator Callsign was "Cravin" Dick.

Their first child was known to be a daughter so they legally changed their last name before she was born.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MMSIG229:
I really dislike stripper names for girls, or cute names for boys. Do these moronic parents really understand the kid has to live with that name for the next 70 years??? Named my son John, after his mom's dad. I had to remind people that his name was JOHN, not Jon, not Johhney, not Jack. Not sure why people have to get cute with names. I also believe strongly that a name should have some significance, such as a family name or named after a close friend. Not a celebrity or taken from the book at the check out line. Long after mommy and daddy are croaked, the kid will be saddled with a goofy name that belongs on the top of a booking card.

My son's name is Thomas. Not Tommy (though Tom its acceptable).

My dad's name is Bobby (as is my nephew). Not Robert.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

Is that Bobby or does he spell it Bobbie? Roll Eyes

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
quote:

It was spelled Bobby

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:

It was spelled Bobby

I'm sure he has heard that one a bazillion times.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Back when I worked at Safeway, I impressed a customer with my ability to prounounce his name. He purchased alcohol, which required I asked for his ID. His last name was Roy. When I noticed he was from Canada, I figured I'd try pronouncing it like another Canadian with the last name, Patrick Roy. His face lit up and he said I was the first to say it correctly.

A friend of mine has the first name, William. For some reason, he hates it when people call him Will. He insists people call him Bill. I rarely ever get it right, but he gave up trying to correct me because so many people also make the same mistake.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
golfed with a guy named Richard Head.

I worked with a guy named Richard Hair.

Posts: 1053 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Knew a guy whose last name was DICK.

Of course his Naval Aviator Callsign was "Cravin" Dick.

We had a Doc on my last ship whose last name was Dick. I had to get a prostate exam and it was not pleasant. Dr. Dick stood about 6'3" and had these big fat sausage fingers.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxdog:
In the 1950s I went to elementary school with a kid who’s father had named his 4 children Alpha, Beta, Chi etc. in that order. Not sure how many kids in total. “Delta” might be awlward for a boy although I suppose “Del” would work.

Must be real awkward for Chi to be totally out of order. Or else they have 22 kids and that one is the last. Wink

If nothing else, it could be mildly clever, since the Greeks used the letters of the alphabet interchangeably with "first" (alpha), "second" (beta), etc.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Knew a guy in NJ whose last name was Joseph, Joseph Joseph! He went by Joe Joseph.

Working the Reservation folks here in MT brings up some good ones too; Bertha Big Beaver, Joe Kills On Top, Henry Skunkcap, Alger Steals The Horse, all real names.

But NONE can hold a candle to the ghetto/Stripper names. Always astounds me some poor kid saddled with a ridiculous name for the rest of his life. Shows the irresponsibility of the Parent.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Back when I worked at Safeway, I impressed a customer with my ability to prounounce his name. He purchased alcohol, which required I asked for his ID. His last name was Roy. When I noticed he was from Canada, I figured I'd try pronouncing it like another Canadian with the last name, Patrick Roy. His face lit up and he said I was the first to say it correctly.

I’m guessing at the proper pronunciation, but I’m think maybe it sounds like “rye” than “Roy?”

I had that same experience with a customer named Stamatios Hadoulias (stuh-mah-tee-ose huh-doo-lias). I guessed and nailed it on the first try. His eyes bugged. There’s a sizable Greek immigrant population in Florida and nobody ever got either of his names right so he went by Tom. Good guy.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:

I’m guessing at the proper pronunciation, but I’m think maybe it sounds like “rye” than “Roy?”
It's "rwahh". Patrick Roy, Hall of Fame NHL goaltender, played for the Montreal Canadiens and the Colorado Avalanche.

Posts: 10186 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Ahhh, thanks for that. Smile

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in my working days we had a warehouse manager named Rusty Locke. Another case of parents who thought it was cute.

Posts: 57 | Location: Southwest Florida  | Registered: September 16, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post