SIGforum
The nifty names some give their special children are not good ideas.

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/8470007364

November 29, 2019, 01:48 PM
trapper189
The nifty names some give their special children are not good ideas.
I wanted to name my third child Hunter Fischer. My last name is Trapp.
November 29, 2019, 02:40 PM
mcrimm
Heck, I have folks ask how to spell my name.....M...I...K...E
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham
November 29, 2019, 02:46 PM
RAMIUS
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
I wanted to name my third child Hunter Fischer. My last name is Trapp.

Ha, my wife’s last name is fisher, her nephew is named hunter, but unfortunately her sister married a guy with the last name of Gordon.

Technically Hunter Fisher Gordon, even he was a hyphen baby.
November 29, 2019, 03:04 PM
P220 Smudge
quote:
Originally posted by senza nome:
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:
You can have all kind of bizarre letter-combo names and people think it's "cute". Name your daughter "Boadicea" and you'll be asked, "Where'd you get such a weird name?"

uh no! Boadicea

Beat me to it. She was no joke. But shit people literally make up and scatter apostrophes in is considered normal.

November 29, 2019, 05:48 PM
CPD SIG
https://www.litcharts.com/lit/...-name-smell-as-sweet

"Feeakonomics" is a pretty interesting study/book/documentary.
There's a chapter dedicated to just "names". It pretty much sums up what we're all thinking.

Chances are- if you have a "normal" name, you'll do pretty good in life. This is not to say that there aren't "Mikes, Joes, Toms" in prison or the unemployment line. And yes, the more "U-niq" your name is, chances are they're going to be behind the power curve. Again, this is not to say that there isn't some CEO of a Fortune 500 with a "La-Fumunda", but that's usually the outlier.

There's also a small blurb in there about people on the lower rungs of society thinking that having/giving a more "Eu'nique" name will somehow make one stand out for the better and "hopefully" climb up that ladder, but often times not.

For those of you that TL/DR- "U'Nki" often times results in "Eunuch".

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy
November 29, 2019, 06:21 PM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:

Heck, I have folks ask how to spell my name.....M...I...K...E
Mike
And all this time, I thought it was Mi'Que.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
November 29, 2019, 09:29 PM
Ox190
My wife works for a non profit in the Greater Dallas area, the names people give their kids are more ridiculous than I could even try to make up. We named our son Hayes, and have been asked, more times than I can count, H-A-Z-E??
November 30, 2019, 07:27 AM
BigWhup
Spoke with a very helpful customer service rep the other day...Shanqualia.

Had to get her to spell it.
November 30, 2019, 07:33 AM
V-Tail
I had to get a police officer to accompany me to La'Qwanda's house to retrieve one of our carpet cleaners, that had been rented from an Ace Hardware Store for one day, and had not been returned after a week and a half.

It was pretty clear, from the way that they interacted, that this was not, by any means, the first time that the cop had responded to that address to handle a problem.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
November 30, 2019, 07:42 AM
feersum dreadnaught
I was all for naming my first daughter “Siobhan” - got talked out of it by family that pointed out nobody could pronounce it, and if they could pronounce it, they wouldn’t be able to spell it.

Would have been all trendy now.

Second daughter is Wen Xiao - but we call her Wendy. As she is from Hunan, it should be obvious when somebody looks at her...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"
November 30, 2019, 06:34 PM
lyman
when I was in the grocery biz, and was the one that did the hiring,

I would pull apps , and look at names, and email addresses,

a couple Specials,
a couple Sparkles,
some with names with ' and - in various places,

hotsexyone@
beautyqueen@
and a couple not work safe email addresses,,

none got a call,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

November 30, 2019, 06:58 PM
GWbiker
And, then there was Frank Zappa who named his kids:

Dweezil, Moon Unit, Ahmet and Diva.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".
December 01, 2019, 01:46 PM
Micropterus
I've personally seen a kid named: D'L'Qwon (day la kwon)

And a mother named Shanese, and her three daughters Shameka, Shaneka and Schaneekiyah.

December 01, 2019, 08:55 PM
Killer
When I worked in the radiology department of our local hospital I once saw a boy named Kegger.
December 01, 2019, 09:40 PM
vthoky
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
I was all for naming my first daughter “Siobhan” - got talked out of it by family that pointed out nobody could pronounce it, and if they could pronounce it, they wouldn’t be able to spell it.

That's an interesting name to me... I had not seen/heard it until recently.
At the risk of drifting the thread, can you tell me a bit more about the name? Irish?

God bless America.
December 02, 2019, 07:21 AM
feersum dreadnaught
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:

At the risk of drifting the thread, can you tell me a bit more about the name? Irish?

Irish origin. Pronounced “shi-vawn”. Diminutive is Sinead (I’m missing the accents the go on both “a”s). Male form is “Sean”. I have Irish ancestors, and liked the name.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"
December 02, 2019, 07:25 AM
NK402
How about Bill Lear inventor of the LearJet. He reportedly named a daughter, Shanda. During my training as an OB-GYN, we worked in the clinic and delivered many babies there. Every week or so, one of the nurses would plop a stack of birth certificates in front of you and say, "Here. Sign these." I always regretted not keeping a list of some of the names I signed off on.
December 02, 2019, 05:13 PM
vthoky
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:

Irish origin. Pronounced “shi-vawn”. Diminutive is Sinead (I’m missing the accents the go on both “a”s). Male form is “Sean”. I have Irish ancestors, and liked the name.

Thank you. There was recently a local news person with that first name, so your mention of it got my attention.

God bless America.
December 03, 2019, 09:05 AM
GisTexan
When I hear this name, I think to myself, "Oh, you're special aren't you."

Caitlin,Catelin,Caytlin,Caytelin,Catlin,Caetlin,Caitelin,Cayetlin
Caitlan,Catelan,Caytlan,Caytelan,Catlan,Caetlan,Caitelan,Cayetlan
Caitlyn,Catelyn,Caytlyn,Caytelyn,Catlyn,Caetlyn,Caitelyn,Cayetlyn
Caitlynn,Catelynn,Caytlynn,Caytelynn,Catlynn,Caetlynn,Caitelynn,Cayetlynn
Caitlynne,Catelynne,Caytlynne,Caytelynne,Catlynne,Caetlynne,Caitelynne,Cayetlynne
Caitlind,Catelind,Caytlind,Caytelind,Catlind,Caetlind,Caitelind,Cayetlind
Caitland,Cateland,Caytland,Cayteland,Catland,Caetland,Caiteland,Cayetland
Caitlinn,Catelinn,Caytlinn,Caytelinn,Catlinn,Caetlinn,Caitelinn,Cayetlinn
Caitlinne,Catelinne,Caytlinne,Caytelinne,Catlinne,Caetlinne,Caitelinne,Cayetlinne
Kaitlin,Katelin,Kaytlin,Kaytelin,Katlin,Kaetlin,Keightlin,Kaitelin
Kaitlan,Katelan,Kaytlan,Kaytelan,Katlan,Kaetlan,Keightlan,Kaitelan
Kaitlyn,Katelyn,Kaytlyn,Kaytelyn,Katlyn,Kaetlyn,Keightlyn,Kaitelyn
Kaitlynn,Katelynn,Kaytlynn,Kaytelynn,Katlynn,Kaetlynn,Keightlynn,Kaitelynn
Kaitlynne,Katelynne,Kaytlynne,Kaytelynne,Katlynne,Kaetlynne,Keightlynne,Kaitelynne
Kaitlind,Katelind,Kaytlind,Kaytelind,Katlind,Kaetlind,Keightlind,Kaitelind
Kaitland,Kateland,Kaytland,Kayteland,Katland,Kaetland,Keightland,Kaiteland
Kaitlinn,Katelinn,Kaytlinn,Kaytelinn,Katlinn,Kaetlinn,Keightlinn,Kaitelinn
Kaitlinne,Katelinne,Kaytlinne,Kaytelinne,Katlinne,Kaetlinne,Keightlinne,Kaitelinne

Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger

~Herman Goering

December 03, 2019, 09:08 AM
egregore
I have an unusual surname, but my parents were smart enough to give us sensible first names, not puns or double entendres.