SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The nifty names some give their special children are not good ideas.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The nifty names some give their special children are not good ideas. Login/Join 
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted
Okay, So I was reading the weekly arrest reports and most of the alleged perpetrators have had a lifetime of 'How do you spell that?'

It would be incredibly frustrating and demoralizing to have to go through this BS every day. Why would anyone do that to burden their own child?

Years ago a friend of mine had started giving out an alias of Sam because he thinks that people are too stupid to spell Gerald.
Figuring that the dumbest of the dumb can spell S-A-M, he says he has been proven wrong more than once.
Seemingly, 10% of the school aged kids names rhyme with Jayden.

I'm not trying to make humor from someones undeserved misery. Guess I'm just too old to keep up. Does anyone understand this line of thought?

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I'm with you 100%.

True story: My dad took a spill one night and was taken to the emergency room. While there, I was chatting with a nurse who told me some of her stories of patient visits. Writing them down ruins the gales of laughter shared between us, but here are a few, nonetheless:

A very expectant woman was rushed into the delivery room where she promptly gave birth to a baby boy. She was overcome with joy, and the nurses had to spend a fair amount of time talking her out of the child's proposed name: Shi'thead (pronounced SHI-THEY-AD).

Another woman proposed naming her darling little one Fallopian. Duh.

And I'm sure everyone has heard of the twins Lemonjello and Oranjello? Mom just loved to eat lemon and orange Jell-o...

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My last name has 4 letters. You would be amazed at the variations of spelling I get.
And it seems that the first step into a jail cell begins with your stupid parents giving you an equally stupid name.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
My sister worked with someone named Listerene. I remember reading in the court reporter section of the newspaper once the name AntJuan, I had to think about it for a bit before I figured out to pronounce it Antoine. And I knew someone who talked a couple out of naming their new daughter Vagina. Even after explaining to them what the word meant they still thought it sounded pretty and, after all they already had a daughter named Fallopia. Roll Eyes

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
In my line of work I see a number of employee enrollment forms to their health plans.

Years ago I saw one that:

Last Name: Lear
Middle Name: Chande
First Name: Crystal

So they named their daughter Crystal Chande Lear
Eek

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Lexington newspaper used to run special needs adoption ads on Thursdays, complete with photos of the featured child. One week they ran a set of twins, Virginia and Vagina. I kid you not.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
True story. Back in my Public Defender days I was assigned to an old time Florida Judge's division. This guy was right out of central casting for "country judge" (I was moved to that division because the last PD could not get along with him)

Any way, every arraignment and calendar call day he would break court and go into the jury room and hold a plea conference for all the attorneys (no way that would happen today). So this one day he is reading the docket and one of these names comes up and he stops, shakes his head and says (and I quote) "Why cant these people name their kids Billy or Sam?".

Enjoyed my year in that division, he and I got along great, we each respected the other with those areas we held dear.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
Then there is the apocryphal story of a young girl named "Semena Receptacala".

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I gotta lotta laughs from comments on Net about Miss Cletorious.

https://www.cbs17.com/news/sou...s-her-internet-fame/

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I had one rule when deciding names for our children. You have to be able to find it on one of those little license plates at the souvenir shop.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Okay, So I was reading the weekly arrest reports and most of the alleged perpetrators have had a lifetime of 'How do you spell that?'

It would be incredibly frustrating and demoralizing to have to go through this BS every day. Why would anyone do that to burden their own child?

Years ago a friend of mine had started giving out an alias of Sam because he thinks that people are too stupid to spell Gerald.
Figuring that the dumbest of the dumb can spell S-A-M, he says he has been proven wrong more than once.
Seemingly, 10% of the school aged kids names rhyme with Jayden.

I'm not trying to make humor from someones undeserved misery. Guess I'm just too old to keep up. Does anyone understand this line of thought?

Let’s see if we can get them all...

Jayden
Aiden
Caiden
Hayden
Shayden
Kaiden
Layden

Don’t forget these new classics:

Madison
Addison
Radisson
Cadison
Etc.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tinyman
posted Hide Post
In high school I knew a guy from Lebanon. When his family and him arrived, nobody could spell his name. His Dad opened the phone book and pointed at a name -- that was his last name. Dad then flipped to another page and pointed -- his first name. The poor guy had to have a notorized letter on him at all times. Seems that Dad had "given" his son the name John Doe.

Tinyman

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
DELICIOUS PETERS... Kid you not...name in the phone book.. constant phone call from the local teenagers.......................drill sgt.

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
DELICIOUS PETERS... Kid you not...name in the phone book.. constant phone call from the local teenagers.......................drill sgt.

Wasn't that Mitt Romney's Twitter "pseudonym?" In French: Pierre Delecto.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can have all kind of bizarre letter-combo names and people think it's "cute". Name your daughter "Boadicea" and you'll be asked, "Where'd you get such a weird name?"

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:
Name your daughter "Boadicea" and you'll be asked, "Where'd you get such a weird name?"

Well, those who don't know their ancient British/Roman history would ask that, anyway. Wink

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:
You can have all kind of bizarre letter-combo names and people think it's "cute". Name your daughter "Boadicea" and you'll be asked, "Where'd you get such a weird name?"

uh no! Boadicea

Posts: 2538 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
I just finished an online support chat with Jillie-Ann.

I suddenly want a salad with portions of meat, cheese, and veggies cut into short, thin strips.

It seems her parents couldn't agree on name. Jill? Too common. How about Julie? No, I don't think so. Maybe Julianne? No. Let's agree to disagree and name her Jillie-Ann.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recall there was a hooker or stripper with a great name. We used to run her tag whenever we had a dispatcher trainee. We enjoyed hearing her read back the name: Magnolia Thunderpussy.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I like Shaliqua and all the unique names some give their kids, spelling it awful in the process.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post