SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The bigger the bass boat, the bigger the jerk.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The bigger the bass boat, the bigger the jerk. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
I get a kick out of the super-high-end bass boats I see on my lake with enough electronics on them to look like a Circuit City show room. They will hardly get their boats near a tree or a blowdown. I've teeter-tottered my jon boat over logs to get to the other side. I wish I had a boat like theirs. But I catch way more fish in mine because I'm not afraid to take my boat where it will get scratched, dinged, and where I'm fouling my bow mount with weeds.

For some, the boating aspect is as important as the fishing. They enjoy working with the electronics and going fast.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see idiots in all sizes and types of boats as I am out on the water about 4 days a week for work. A large part of it, is they're simply inexperienced and uneducated on everything boating related. I really feel everyone should have to take a safety course in order to operate a boat.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

I see idiots in all sizes and types of boats as I am out on the water about 4 days a week for work. A large part of it, is they're simply inexperienced and uneducated on everything boating related. I really feel everyone should have to take a safety course in order to operate a boat.
Not everybody needs a safety course. For example, many of us are current or ex-military and have had appropriate training. There are a lot of people who grew up with boats.

Instead of a mandatory course, how about testing and licensing? You know, like aircraft, road vehicles, etc. Why should boats be any different?

People can take a course and not learn a thing. Testing, if done correctly, can weed out (most of) the incompetent and unqualified.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Training or testing won’t instill common sense and courtesy. Those are the things missing on most every lake.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

What on earth does ex-military (except USCG) have to do with understand how to properly and safely operate a boat?

Not everybody needs a safety course. For example, many of us are current or ex-military and have had appropriate training. There are a lot of people who grew up with boats.

Instead of a mandatory course, how about testing and licensing? You know, like aircraft, road vehicles, etc. Why should boats be any different?

People can take a course and not learn a thing. Testing, if done correctly, can weed out (most of) the incompetent and unqualified.

It could be testing. However as a USCG 500 GT licensed Captain, that does some owner training for owners moving up where their insurance won't sign off on it. I still see lots of long time boaters, ex military, and pilots (they seem to be the worst, don't take this the wrong way, but they think they can stare into electronics for 5 minutes straight while cruising along the water at 25 knots) that have a lot of bad habits and/or they're simply really missing proper education in some areas as well as situational awareness. Or they might have a lot of experience in small boats, but they don't understand the limitations of larger boats and maneuverability characteristics of them and create unsafe situations without realizing it.

For example. I run a lot of yachts up and down the New River in Fort Lauderdale for one of the top manufacturers of Sportfish and Motoryachts in the world. I run a yacht up or down at least once a week usually. The navigable part of the New River is anywhere from 60'-150' wide with a lot of current, a lot of tight turns, a lot of boat/yacht traffic, and 5 draw bridges you need to wait for to open as well as 2 railroad bridges that go down for 20 minutes at a time, and is slow speed minimum wake. You also incur mega yachts from 100-175' under tow that may be 35' wide. One of the yachts I run for them is a 70' Sportfish with 5200 horsepower. The slowest I can operate this yacht with steerage (and limited steerage at that) is on one engine in forward gear at dead idle is 6.5 knots (without current) and most Sportfish are this way from 45'+. In a lot of the turns I will either have to swap engines for a tighter turning radius or put the opposite engine in reverse and/or use the bow thruster. I'll either get someone in a 20-30' screaming about the 6-8" wake when passing them going the opposite way(which a marine patrol officer wouldn't even look twice at) OR, they'll be in front of me, in the middle of the channel where I cannot go around them, and they'll go up the entire river against the current at 4 knots, in the middle and not allow me to pass. This creates a dangerous situation because I have to clutch it, constantly in and out of gear for several miles, and then current or wind has a lot of effect on the vessel. Or, if they're waiting for the same bridge and behind me, they'll get 10' behind me and stop. If I have to maneuver while waiting to correct for current, I can't or the prop wash will push them into a docked boat on the side because I'm swing such large propellers. Or I have to do it extremely gingerly. This happens often and the people simply don't know any better because they think it's as if they're operating a car and don't understand that a yacht actually turns from the stern (it swings) and not the bow as well as the maneuverability characteristics of a vessel larger than them. Or they don't realize that a yacht needs to be on a certain side for depth.

I see the same on no-wake zones on the intra-coastal. Now, in regards to yachts, no-wake does not mean absolutely no-wake as most yachts cannot go forward without creating a wake. It means idle speed and a wake 6-8" or less. Most yachts, even slower motor yachts at idle speed using one engine (instead of both) still do 5.5-6.5 knots because you're swinging larger propellors. They simply cannot do 3-4 knots like you can in a 20-25' at idle engine speed in gear. Everyone else on the water understands this, but many small boaters, even ones with lots of small boat experience do not.

But, there are many other situations and examples of where a simple USCG auxillary free class (or similar), would make the waterways a lot safer. I've also seen a lot of long term boaters get complacent as the years go on.

Training does help in the common sense and courtesy department as well, as they're surrounded by others taking the class.

Perhaps an option of testing out of having to take the class would be ok too.

Here's an overview of the New River with charts and aerial photos if you're curious

https://nauticnomad.com/blog/newrivernavigation/

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Bass boats can apparently be driven only at full throttle.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I was pretty good fisherman and a very good boat handler. At least twice in my years on the water a head boat tried to squeeze me off a spot. The first time I was in our 17 ft Whaler and the boat ran right up on me and hit the horn to tell the customers "lines over". I was pissed, told my friend "hold on", took out a gaff, pulled away, circled and went right down the side of the boat, snagging lines. Talk about an angry captain.

Second time was a Fall trip, we had a set routine for when the stripers would surface at dawn. We were on them and here comes a head boat right up on me. I held my ground and then motored up through the fish, to put them down. The boat was literally inches from me when he stopped, I had a 29 ft Aquasport with a tower, not like I was invisible.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
what about the guys with the $100.000.00
boat,motor, trailer and truck rigs,
that seem me there as they pass by on the road , going fishing by themselves !

they put two seats on them rigs for a reason , A HOLES !

Many here are judging a book by its cover, not all bass boat owners are assholes. I am one of those with a 20 ft bass boat with a 225 Merc, I live on a large lake and fish at least 100 days a year which includes about 20 tournaments and have since 1985.
Its kind of like assuming all gun owners are irresponsible and I know that's not true but their are a few, just like their are a few irresponsible boat owners of all types.

Posts: 1955 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSgt USMC/Vet:
quote:
what about the guys with the $100.000.00
boat,motor, trailer and truck rigs,
that seem me there as they pass by on the road , going fishing by themselves !

they put two seats on them rigs for a reason , A HOLES !

Many here are judging a book by its cover, not all bass boat owners are assholes. I am one of those with a 20 ft bass boat with a 225 Merc, I live on a large lake and fish at least 100 days a year which includes about 20 tournaments and have since 1985.
Its kind of like assuming all gun owners are irresponsible and I know that's not true but their are a few, just like their are a few irresponsible boat owners of all types.

So, when are you taking Bendable fishing then? After all, I think that's what he's implying when he said there's two seats for a reason.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Not just Bendable but any member here on this forum is more than welcome. I will make myself available any weekend and or afternoon or weekday if prior arrangements are made and I will provide all rods and reels and tackle.

About the two seats, depending what format tournament team or draw, your partner for the day maybe meeting the boat owner at the ramp this is maybe why the boat owner is by him or herself on the way to the river or lake. I have driven hundreds of miles by myself to a tournament.

So anyone who would like to spend the day or weekend fishing Kerr Reservoir on the Va. / NC border just let me know.

Posts: 1955 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
That's an awesome offer. Cool

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have three things ahead of your offer on my bucket list,
thanks for the offer , but time remaining may be an issue.

but I have you on the list

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have three things ahead of your offer on my bucket list,
thanks for the offer , but time remaining may be an issue.

but I have you on the list

Sometimes you just have to make hay while the sun shines. It sounds like SSGT is an excellent fisherman and I'd jump at the chance to go fishing with him...….

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
The primary topic at hand would apply to jet boats as well. Along with "the LOUDER the jet boat, the bigger the jerk".

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna need to get a through hull exhaust for the 496 in my boat so my boat can match my jerkiness.

"Hey, you scratched my anchor!"

posted Hide Post
i was pretty much making light of the people piling on w/ the o.p.

we don't like it when people say the all inclusive " Gun Owners".

it's the same way with boat owners.

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
That's an awesome offer. Cool

Yes, it is!

God bless America.

Posts: 13495 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
This is buoy 10 on the columbia river here in Oregon on a slow day, fishing for salmon. for the most part they are all trolling in the same direction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaN6xTUOwdU

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J9fSI5m8S8