SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The bigger the bass boat, the bigger the jerk.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The bigger the bass boat, the bigger the jerk. Login/Join 
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted
I had some lines cast out off my dock today when a couple of guys came by. You can see my rods clearly. When one of them inevitably snags my line it is my fault for casting out so far.WTF?

There is 100 miles of shoreline to fish besides right at my puny inkspot. What happened to common courtesy?

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love fishing but growing up on a lake we always had issues with the bass boat crowd snagging lines on our dock and boat covers/lines.

In most cases both sides were courteous and saw each pothers side (their right to fish and our right not to step on or get stuck by fish hooks but there was always one who acted like he owned the lake and the one fish that would make sis career only existed under our dock

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live on a lake and have two boats in the water for most of the year. I let my dogs out to bark at them from the dock when I see them coming. I've seen them miss plenty of casts that end up on or in a boat. There is zero reason to get that close.

Posts: 727 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the stupidest things I ever witnessed was my cop buddies spending huge amounts of $$$ for a balls out bass boat, trailer, all the gear and a truck to pull the thing.
And went fishing twice a year. Maybe.
Usually while drunk.
And then they wondered why their wives divorced them.
Which necessitated selling the boat to pay their lawyer.
Amazing process.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I used to love that surf casting. Miles and miles in every dirrection for them to fish, no, they have to pull the boat up directly in front of me. Yes, that's right, there's a 10x10 fenced off section right in front of me where all the fish are kept. Roll Eyes

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah I agree. My bigger aggravation though is with the oversized "pleasure craft" seeing how big a wake they can make while zipping around the lake. Throw in some drunk jet skiers and the fishing day is shot. Fortunately these folks don't appear until later in the day.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
You know,if I had been in my boat they wouldn't ever come that close and cast over my line. Why shouldn't they afford me the same courtesy because I'm fishing from the dock/bank/shore?

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted March 12, 2019 06:41 PM Hide Post
Yeah I agree. My bigger aggravation though is with the oversized "pleasure craft" seeing how big a wake they can make while zipping around the lake. Throw in some drunk jet skiers and the fishing day is shot. Fortunately these folks don't appear until later in the day.

These are the worst people. Seriously. I like to take my kids out in my little 16' aluminum boat and we try to stick to the no wake zones as far away from everybody else as possible. Yet these assholes will run in circles for hours throwing wake everywhere, blaring crappy music from oversized speakers, and getting as close as humanly possible in an almost overt attempt to swamp small craft. I hope for a sunken log to rip their hull open every time they come out.

I have also seen the fishermen who like to encroach on other guys, and I just don't get it. I have a few favorite spots on the lake that I like to fish. They are all out in an undeveloped section, away from docks and in no wake zones (that may or may not be honored by the ski boat/jet ski assholes). If there's already a guy fishing one of the spots when we get out there, we go to a different spot and leave him to it. But there are some folks that for whatever reason feel the need to troll right up next to you and encroach on your space and spook all the fish.

I think what it comes down to is that it doesn't matter what sport they are involved in...some people are just selfish assholes.

Posts: 8413 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
posted March 12, 2019 06:41 PM Hide Post

I was fortunate that the lake I lived on was made up of 3 sections and separated by tunnels. Only one allowed waterskiing or speeds over 15

These are the worst people. Seriously. I like to take my kids out in my little 16' aluminum boat and we try to stick to the no wake zones as far away from everybody else as possible. Yet these assholes will run in circles for hours throwing wake everywhere, blaring crappy music from oversized speakers, and getting as close as humanly possible in an almost overt attempt to swamp small craft. I hope for a sunken log to rip their hull open every time they come out.

I have also seen the fishermen who like to encroach on other guys, and I just don't get it. I have a few favorite spots on the lake that I like to fish. They are all out in an undeveloped section, away from docks and in no wake zones (that may or may not be honored by the ski boat/jet ski assholes). If there's already a guy fishing one of the spots when we get out there, we go to a different spot and leave him to it. But there are some folks that for whatever reason feel the need to troll right up next to you and encroach on your space and spook all the fish.

I think what it comes down to is that it doesn't matter what sport they are involved in...some people are just selfish assholes.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Oh boy....having grown up at a lake cabin, and still going today, I can help feed this thread for years to come.

The one that burns me to no end right now, and will continued to is this:

Directly off our shore is a tiny bay, and it barely qualifies as ‘bay’ in size. The kids love to swim there on weekends....well it so happens that this ‘bay’ is a sweet Crappie hole. We catch them from shore til we get tired of cleaning them....of course there are no secrets on a lake so I can sit on the dock and watch guys in their 21st century boats coming full speed from across the lake on the weekends...

They see the kids swimming and you can almost hear their F-bombs over their oversized motors...so they troll back-and-forth just outside of the swim area until the kids get uncomfortable because the guys in the boats are obviously waiting for them.

Then in they come, with trolling motors in full force....the big men in their fishing boats.

Dicks.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12304 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dkjbama
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

I use a controlled drift with a trolling motor to fish for trophy Blue catfish on a sizable late on the TN river. I fish deepwater structure away from the banks of the lake. The most common phrase heard on my inexpensive, 3rd hand, rigged myself boat is "you got the whole damn river!"

I wish some of these oblivious jerks would realize i could plug them with a 2 oz sinker and 4 oz of skipjack on a 8/0 circle hook from 60 yards away.

Worst is the morons that think they're doing you a favor by slowing down to half-planing speed, which throws the biggest wake possible. Don't even get me started on teenage wakesurfers in daddy's $100k Malibu or Mastercraft throwing out a 3 foot roller25 yards away.

When fishing from the dock, with a couple rods with clearly visible yellow 65lb braid out, I'll just let the oblivious bass jerks run over the line with their trolling motor. Costs me a little bit of line and a hook and sinker. That braid wrapped around their trolling motor prop will cost them more.

Posts: 775 | Location: NW Alabama | Registered: January 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what about the guys with the $100.000.00
boat,motor, trailer and truck rigs,
that seem me there as they pass by on the road , going fishing by themselves !

they put two seats on them rigs for a reason , A HOLES !

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been boating/fishing a long time. I'll go out of my way to avoid the wake boats, fly-byes at full throttle and the socials wanting to fish all over ya. They always find me too. They just don't get it.

Posts: 281 | Location: Outside St. Louis | Registered: June 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Arrogant rich ppl with their big boats !
I primarily bass fish. I try not to be a jerk. The crappie fishermen will come right in on me. Mostly older follows that don't give a chit.
I guess in a public place where face to face doesn't happen ppl will be asses ....

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I get a kick out of the super-high-end bass boats I see on my lake with enough electronics on them to look like a Circuit City show room. They will hardly get their boats near a tree or a blowdown. I've teeter-tottered my jon boat over logs to get to the other side. I wish I had a boat like theirs. But I catch way more fish in mine because I'm not afraid to take my boat where it will get scratched, dinged, and where I'm fouling my bow mount with weeds.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dkjbama:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

I use a controlled drift with a trolling motor to fish for trophy Blue catfish on a sizable late on the TN river. I fish deepwater structure away from the banks of the lake. The most common phrase heard on my inexpensive, 3rd hand, rigged myself boat is "you got the whole damn river!"

I wish some of these oblivious jerks would realize i could plug them with a 2 oz sinker and 4 oz of skipjack on a 8/0 circle hook from 60 yards away.

Worst is the morons that think they're doing you a favor by slowing down to half-planing speed, which throws the biggest wake possible. Don't even get me started on teenage wakesurfers in daddy's $100k Malibu or Mastercraft throwing out a 3 foot roller25 yards away.

When fishing from the dock, with a couple rods with clearly visible yellow 65lb braid out, I'll just let the oblivious bass jerks run over the line with their trolling motor. Costs me a little bit of line and a hook and sinker. That braid wrapped around their trolling motor prop will cost them more.

I was in a buddies 14" fiberglass boat,
basically just a lil heavy V hull type thing,
we were in the middle of the James, trolling for stripers , and were having to duck to keep from getting hit by the guys on the bank with the surf rods and heavy sinkers,

never got hit, and they were not (all) Trying to hit us, some were just not experienced (and apologized),

got a laugh one day, same buddy and I fishing in a small johnboat,
small lake in a wildlife management area, that is fished heavily,

we were catching some small bream and bass floating along the shoreline when a family came in , walked out on the handicap pier, and started fishing,
you could hear the large sinker going by,
they had 4 surf rods, probably 2-3oz sinkers,
in about a 3 acre overfished lake,,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Hell, my wife and I have had that happen with people in canoes and guys in those floating fishing tubes that you kick around in. All this on a trout lake. The rods are easy to spot, the fact that there is a line out from it is not difficult to imagine.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
How to solve that problem:

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
How to solve that problem:

Thats my idea of fishing!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
When the price comes down on these ThorRobotics Underwater Drone Mini add a (very) little C4 & a remote detonator. Problem solved. Wink

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post