SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    DMV: Got a fuel-efficient vehicle? We'll charge you more!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DMV: Got a fuel-efficient vehicle? We'll charge you more! Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Well, well, well. It's registration renewal time, for the VW diesel I bought last year.

I get on DMV's web site, grind through the process, and get my total. "What the Sam Hill?!?!" It's about $20 more than I expected.

Look more closely and find a $29-ish "Highway Use Fee." What??

"The purpose of the highway use fee is to ensure a more fair contribution to the Commonwealth Transportation Fund from fuel-efficient and electric vehicles using highways in the Commonwealth."

I get it. The state gets a big ol' chunk of revenue from fuel taxes, and my little dino-burner doesn't require as much fuel as my old SUV, so the state wants a bigger chunk of my VW pie. But still, it brings to mind the old "no good deed goes unpunished" thing.

And yes, the extra cost will be recovered over the course of my next 550-mile tank. But I still want to grouch a little about it.

Grr.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
They have been doing that everywhere. They claim that fuel efficient vehicles still tear up the road, but don't pay the motor fuel tax to fix the roads. I bet you still make out better money wise over a full size pickup.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p08:
I bet you still make out better money wise over a full size pickup.

For sure!
After 300k miles, my SUV must feel like it's on vacation, only being driven once a week or so. Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anyone really believe that the federal and state governments will not find a way to continue the revenue stream that they have become accustomed to from fuel taxes. Increased registration fees, license plate fees, taxes on total miles of use (think mandatory on-board transponders and monitoring stations, just like toll roads now use but applied to all public roadways).

In 1917 the Congress voted for a special tax on telephone users in order to fund World War I. That tax still applies to your monthly telephone bills (including cellular accounts).

Taxes never go away.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1091 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoboGunLeather:
In 1917 the Congress voted for a special tax on telephone users in order to fund World War I. That tax still applies to your monthly telephone bills (including cellular accounts).

Taxes never go away.

Except for the one in your example. Wink

https://www.cnet.com/news/tele...n-1898-finally-ends/

quote:
After a long legal battle and strong urging from Congress, the Internal Revenue Service and the Department of the Treasury decided in May to discontinue the federal 3 percent excise tax on long-distance telephone service effective Aug. 1.

It also decided not to apply the tax to wireless, voice over Internet Protocol service, prepaid telephone cards and other bundled services. The IRS also said it would allow taxpayers to claim a refund in 2007 for taxes collected on those services retroactive to February 2003.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:

Taxes never go away.

Except for the one in your example. Wink

https://www.cnet.com/news/tele...n-1898-finally-ends/

quote:
After a long legal battle and strong urging from Congress, the Internal Revenue Service and the Department of the Treasury decided in May to discontinue the federal 3 percent excise tax on long-distance telephone service effective Aug. 1.

It also decided not to apply the tax to wireless, voice over Internet Protocol service, prepaid telephone cards and other bundled services. The IRS also said it would allow taxpayers to claim a refund in 2007 for taxes collected on those services retroactive to February 2003.

Thank you for correcting me. But now one of my favorite examples of government greed is gone and I'll have to look for another one. Shouldn't take very long.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1091 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
now one of my favorite examples of government greed is gone and I'll have to look for another one. Shouldn't take very long.

Big Grin

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
What happened is that they mandated electric vehicles and then later someone told them they are going to miss out on gasoline taxes.

Oh no we can't have that we need to create a new tax to cover the old tax. Usage tax it is. Scumbags.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Never felt so good to get 16.9 mpg. Although this premium gasoline is getting kind of pricey now.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you for correcting me. But now one of my favorite examples of government greed is gone and I'll have to look for another one. Shouldn't take very long.

You could stick with the income tax. It was originally enacted to pay for the Civil War, and became permanent, without regard to apportionment, just before the First World War with the 16th Amendment.

The granddaddy of them all is probably the tax on tobacco, which was originally enacted in 1794 to pay for the Revolutionary War, and became permanent in 1864 to pay for the Civil War, and has never gone away since. If you live in RI, CT, or NY, those states screw you 4x harder than the feds, but it's for your own good. Roll Eyes

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Never felt so good to get 16.9 mpg. Although this premium gasoline is getting kind of pricey now.

Ditto except for some reason my premium fuel car with double the horsepower of my daughter’s regular fuel car gets about 2 mpgs better. We both have 4 cylinders and do mixture of city/freeway. She must let her car idle alot.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Guess they wouldn't consider 11.7 MPG to be 'efficient'?

I'm sure I'll have to pay the tax anyway.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting question.

Is there a way to purchase 87 gasoline for lawn equipment or diesel for farm equipment without having to pay the highway use taxes? (or is this something a tax attorney would recover later)

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As much as I like performance cars, I probably will never pull the trigger on a car that requires premium. I always thought anything with a turbo needed premium until I bought my daughter a VW with a turbo. Hmm.

I’m reading a book, The Power of Zero, about getting your retirement income down to 0% taxation. Taxes are tough to beat.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
As much as I like performance cars, I probably will never pull the trigger on a car that requires premium. I always thought anything with a turbo needed premium until I bought my daughter a VW with a turbo. Hmm.

I’m reading a book, The Power of Zero, about getting your retirement income down to 0% taxation. Taxes are tough to beat.

I've got a turbo on my car and it uses the 87 octane stuff according to the Owners Manual.

Oh, and I also try to keep my income as low as possible to avoid taxes.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
What if you have a f250 Diesel and only use it to tow on weekends meaning mileage is very low per year?

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:

My car doesn't require premium, it's computer will adjust and pull timing if it detects any knocking. I always use premium because I want the most horsepower possible out of my car, and also because it's an direct injection engine so I want to always use top tier and premium so I don't have to worry about walnut blasting in my future.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:

My car doesn't require premium, it's computer will adjust and pull timing if it detects any knocking. I always use premium because I want the most horsepower possible out of my car, and also because it's an direct injection engine so I want to always use top tier and premium so I don't have to worry about walnut blasting in my future.

Run some Techron or sea foam once in a while also. I used to do just at oil changes, but now with Direct Injection only engines, I do it every quarter.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
These additional taxes really nail people still using ICE vehicles. Gas tax, highway use tax, and (if California gets its way) mileage taxes.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I just renewed my 92 Buick Roadmaster and it went from $41.75 to $31.75. Big Grin

Thanks

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post