SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Trite expressions on the forum
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trite expressions on the forum Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
After reading this thread, I'll never be able to post again. Frown

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Lighten up, Francis.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" is over-used.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Boss as fuck. No wait, I like that one, it truly is boss as fuck. Big Grin

To actually add to the original gripe of the thread I will second “who”, not that clever and overused.

Also second “lost in a boating accident” funny in Peter Benchley’s day but pretty lame now.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
After reading this thread, I'll never be able to post again. Frown

Big Grin

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Any reference to the government as the Goobermint or .gov

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
You broke (or won) the internet.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" is over-used.

Perhaps on this forum. I found the few times I've used in person, it tends to catch people off guard and garner a laugh as if it were new to them.

Posts: 17054 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
'P.S.A.'

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Game changer

Posts: 698 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
IANAL

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
^^^This <---- That one, not the one above this post.

Posts: 2640 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rawny:
^^^This <---- That one, not the one above this post.

QFT. QFE. All day, everyday, and twice on Sundays. Someone get this man a prize. I agree with you.

Wait, I know, I just need to link you guys to urbandictionary.com. They’ve already had this conversation, it’ll save you guys some typing. Big Grin Wink

Compared to expressions that have been floating around for thousands of years that are no more complex or deeply thought out, I think some of these examples are hilarious. The first example, “If [I] made the story up, no one would believe it,” is a far more complicated concept than “I am what I am,” and yet both properly convey a message.

That we can communicate is a gift. Learning to do so clearly and carefully is an achievement. And yes, it can even be done by borrowing an arrangement of words when someone has put it better than you feel able or willing to put the energy into at the time. Trite? Perhaps. But if the alternative is “find something new to say in a new way or don’t say it,” then I’m going to continue to blather my unoriginalities.

Posts: 17054 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fitment.

And PSA is good only if you're talking about the online dealer.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 226Reasons
posted Hide Post
If it ain't broke...

Posts: 1327 | Location: TN | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Cool beans.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shottie.

Great thread John!

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8755 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Chack-Chack will send them running...

If I do my part...

Jumped the Shark...

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
"I remember that like it was tomorrow".

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Goobermint, Gubbermint, or the like.

Also any chest thumping regarding making serious change in an implied violent way...when we all know goddamned well you'll never fucking do anything.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post