SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Trite expressions on the forum
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trite expressions on the forum Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
"I don't wish this on my worst enemy (or on anyone)."
For example, some well known public figure (e.g., RBG) has a malignancy. Someone will invariably come on and blurt that shit out. What's really the point?

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
"He was trying to turn his life around..."

(sorry if this is a duplicate)

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Back up for “comedy gold.”

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
And up again for, “Xyz much?” as in “Delusional much?” “biased much?” “Kool-Aid much?”

Where did that inane agrammatical expression come from, and why is it so popular?
If you want to criticize someone’s position or thinking, why is it so hard to spell it out? “You’re delusional.” “You’ve been drinking too much Kool-Aid” (it was actually Flavor Aid). I’m not sure exactly why that expression annoys me, but I am reminded of an observation by Arthur Schopenhauer: “He who writes carelessly confesses thereby at the very outset that he does not attach much importance to his own thoughts.”

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
On the internet, no one works for a police department or a sheriffs department.

"Agency"

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
And up again for, “Xyz much?” as in “Delusional much?” “biased much?” “Kool-Aid much?”

Where did that inane agrammatical expression come from, and why is it so popular?
If you want to criticize someone’s position or thinking, why is it so hard to spell it out? “You’re delusional.” “You’ve been drinking too much Kool-Aid” (it was actually Flavor Aid). I’m not sure exactly why that expression annoys me, but I am reminded of an observation by Arthur Schopenhauer: “He who writes carelessly confesses thereby at the very outset that he does not attach much importance to his own thoughts.”

In answer to your question, “kool aid” was the expression used by Reverend Jim Jones at Jonestown, Guyana. Jones poisoned 800 or so of his followers with his “kool aid” while mixed with cyanide. They drank the concoction voluntarily at the urging of Jones.

“Flavor aid” might have been the proper name for the powdered kids drink but the concoction drank by his followers was referred to as “kool aid” despite being laced with cyanide. Reports vary to the actual brand of powdered drink, but there isn’t any controversy to which brand of cyanide either. Therefore, when true believers drink the parties drink, often against their own self interests, (IE union members that vote for a political candidate who has promised to cut thousands of union jobs if elected) it is referred to as “drinking the kool aid”.

If you were seriously wondering the origins of the term.

https://www.koolaid.com/

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Pulled the trigger"
Going to pull the trigger

Before I pull the trigger

Should I pull the trigger ?

Followed me home,
Following me home,
Will follow me home,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
My question was in the first sentence: where did the inane “… much?” come from? I wasn’t asking about Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, which I’m quite familiar with.

Although I cannot recall which book I read about Jonestown because it was some years ago, it covered the entire background and the incident itself in great detail, to include the type of drink flavoring that was laced with cyanide (for some reason trivial facts like that tend to stick with me). I mention the fact that it was Flavor Aid, not Kool-Aid as an example of how people who pick up a catchy phrase and start larding their conversations and discussions with it, frequently have no idea where it came from. I would bet a nickel that most people today who refer to “drinking the kool-aid” have no idea where it originated. I doubt they so much as heard of Jim Jones or the Peoples Temple, and I doubt they would be able to find Guyana on a map even if they knew what it had to do with the poisonous drink those deluded people killed themselves with.

I could cite many other examples of people using expressions or words that they don’t truly understand, but if I did, they would be challenged with, “But, … but …,” so I won’t.

In any event, this is just some venting about something that isn’t very important even by the importance standards here, but which manages to get under my skin in discussions. There is nothing about that “… much?” expression that contributes to meaningful dialogues.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
I doubt they would be able to find Guyana on a map
I don't have a map or globe handy, but if my antique memory is not failing too badly, I think it's just east of Venezuela.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
On the internet, no one works for a police department or a sheriffs department.

"Agency"

In Colorado they are Sheriff’s Offices, not departments. Wink
I often use “agency” to make it clear that I’m referring to the … ahem … department, and not the building where the people work.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
I've been living under a rock for the past 12 years -- why are the prices for ammo / ammo components / firearms so high?

When will it end?

I only jump on firearms websites a couple times a day. Why didn't somebody warn me that this might happen?

Why didn't the news media state there were issues?

Why can't I get what I want, when I want, at the price I want?

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
(for some reason trivial facts like that tend to stick with me)

Oh yeah? Well how about despite the fact that I too have read books on this, my mind has spent the day trying to remember who played Jim Jones in the “Sunday Night at the movies” on Network TV when I was a kid. All I can remember is Lavare Burton.

Try rolling around with the trivial fact that there WAS a made for TV movie on NBC that long ago. Given the fact that just about every network TV “made for TV” movie was horrible in those days.

Smile

(Ok, I finally googled it. Powers Booth, CBS 1980)

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
Referring to scopes as “glass” and bullets as “pills”.

“I’m running my AR with Lapua .223 shells, Hornady XYZ powder, and 55 gr. pills. The glass is a Leupold MXR with 4-666 magnification, and that alone cost me more than what your great-grandpa made on the Klondike Gold Rush.”

Heck, that’s annoying.

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post