SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I don't care if you disagree...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I don't care if you disagree... Login/Join 
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
"I don't care if you disagree..." seems to say it all.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stumbling through where
others have fallen
Picture of REdwin89
posted Hide Post
If it's good enough for the owners, then it's good enough for the guests. Wife and I don't wear outside shoes inside--muddy driveway most of year. Guests/repair persons will do the same. Simple.

"I don't know a lot but I can zero beat the V's on an R390."

Posts: 2322 | Location: No longer new to Central NY | Registered: March 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I don't see an issue. Their house.

I dont have that rule but I can understand it. I don't wear my work boots in the house, chemicals, metal shavings, then you mess up the floors or if there are small kids crawling around a floor they can pick that up.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

available at Amazon

maybe take two pair,

but still high heels could mar a wood floor

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I wear a leg/ankle brace in a shoe. Without it I can't safely walk.
I have had a couple of very uncomfortable times that I was treated disrespectful. Like they were angry at me for not honoring their rules. Acting like I was lying about it.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Shoes are not allowed in my house. The wood floors are 110 year old quarter sawn oak. The rugs are hand tied and old. We get a lot of snow. With that comes ice, slush, sand, salt, and embers. Taking your shoes off is a sign of respect for your host, and a general understanding of how disgusting the bottom of an outdoor shoe can be. To me, not taking your shoes off is akin to pissing all over the toilet seat or women placing their purse on the kitchen counter.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
women placing their purse on the kitchen counter.

Man, you guys are just looking for conflict.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Shoes come off at the door or you can stay out with the dog.
I ALWAYS ask when I enter someone's home if they'd like me to take mine off also.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
Shoes are not allowed in my house. The wood floors are 110 year old quarter sawn oak. The rugs are hand tied and old. We get a lot of snow. With that comes ice, slush, sand, salt, and embers. Taking your shoes off is a sign of respect for your host, and a general understanding of how disgusting the bottom of an outdoor shoe can be. To me, not taking your shoes off is akin to pissing all over the toilet seat or women placing their purse on the kitchen counter.

It depends on the type of floors. IN extreme cases like the guy with 110 year old wood floors and people with light colored carpet I can understand shoes off.

I have 24" ceramic tile in the entire main part of the house and wood laminate flooring in the bedrooms. I don't care if people wear shoes. A few of my customers have $10 million houses with natural stone floors.....they don't care if you wear your shoes and actually prefer it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
women placing their purse on the kitchen counter.

Man, you guys are just looking for conflict.

You ever pay attention to where they put those things?! Floors of bathrooms, floors in the mall, floor of the car. Nasty. I bet the bottom of a purse is dirtier than the underside of a toilet at 7-11.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Coming from an Asian backround, our family always removed shoes when inside. It was natural for us, a reflex. But we never insisted our guests do so. If you want to, fine, but if not, also fine. I usually keep my shoes on when visiting a non-Asian household.

I suppose you could jump around on one foot, at our house, my friend Wink

(i am and always will be your kaishakunin)

We do not wear shoes in our house. My wife does not freak out about this rule, but all our friends abide it and service folks have no problem with putting on shoe covers.

We *always* ask if shoes should come off, when going into someone's home. We respect our hosts and their home's rules.

I am guessing there is a "stanky feets" issue somewhere behind all this Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
(i am and always will be your kaishakunin)

Such dedication is rare these days. I just know I can count on you.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16267 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
You can indeed, friend.

However, let us just not allow things to come to that point Smile

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
My wife is Korean. While she has moved to America and respects our customs, she has always asked that people remove their shoes when coming into our home. While it is dry and mostly clean in Arizona, your shoes step in all the filth and shit you don’t want your feet touching. Now you wish to parade that around my home? I think not.

We do provide indoor slippers for guests, or feel free to bring your own. I also have quality shoe booties (grippers on the inside and outside so the risk of slip and fall is greatly diminished) available for anyone who refuses to remove their shoes. That said, there is no cross contamination of the outside vs the inside.

Our floors are cleaned a couple times a week. It’s a custom that many will not understand, but after living it for so many years, I cannot imagine wearing shoes in my home. I would feel that my floors are being contaminated with filth.

I sent out an invite to a small handful of friends and family for a Christmas celebration. In the invite was a reminder that we are a shoe free household, and slippers are provided or you may bring your own, so please remember this when you rsvp.

As to what Reverend posted, yes, a purse definitely does not belong on a kitchen counter, table, or pretty much anywhere considered to be clean. I wouldn’t put my briefcase or backpack in those places, as it touches the same nasty shit my shoes touch.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Maui has a FaceBook group to catch thieves and people often post security camera video seeking names of those responsible. Burglars recorded not removing their shoes get extra scorn in the comments.

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I would remove my shoes if asked. I am a guest in their home.

It costs nothing to be gracious.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I would remove my shoes if asked. I am a guest in their home.

It costs nothing to be gracious.

Well said.

Posts: 1949 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
When entering somebody's home, it's easy enough to glance at your host's feet to see if s/he is wearing shoes in his / her own home, and be guided by what you see.

As Yogi said, "You can observe a lot by just watching."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shotgun Zeke
posted Hide Post
Is it mainly rural people who were brought up to take their shoes off? I can't imagine disrespecting a host as long as a medical condition didn't exist.

Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Rifle Instructor

Posts: 640 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
My usual entrance to our home is the back door, which leads into the kitchen. Hard wood floor. Beyond that, carpets are white. I am a little less strict about the kitchen, but no shoes on the carpet whatsoever. I rarely entertain at home, but if and when I have, shoes off, please.

I’m the one mopping and vaccuuimg. I wasn’t raised in a barn (Midwesterner here). OTOH, on our boat, where floors are linoleum and wood, I don’t mind - unless you’re tracking in actual mud I can see, or scratching the shit out of the wood. If I had carpet down, though, it’d be back to shoes off.
I can’t tell you how many t8mes at our offices we’ve had carpet freshly cleaned or freshly laid, just to have some jackass track red mud through the entire office. Mind you we have removable industrial carpet rugs at entrances and reception that feet can be wiped on. Unbelievably rude.

Hey, it’s ok, don’t come over if you have a problem with it. And I don’t get people saying they’d never go back..you’ve just been educated on what to plan for on your next visit- stuff some socks in your pockets. I do. And I do take stock of my hosts and the guests to see who’s wearing and who’s not. I follow the guides presented. Not hard, just common courtesy to a host, imho.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post