SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I don't care if you disagree...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I don't care if you disagree... Login/Join 
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
if i go to someones home and they ask me to remove my shoes i have no problem doing so. in fact i usually ask them if they would like me to. i don't see the problem with this.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
TO the OP:

Why not? I take good care of my home and don't want shoes you just wore at the urinal of the most recent restaurant you dined at, contaminating my floors.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12315 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Do you not realize all the nasty shit that is on your shoes or do you just not care?

I'm not a nazi about people taking their shoes off but damn, if you're gonna track crap all over someones house that would prefer you not, just stay home and be a stubborn bastard there.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Andyb,

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3596 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
I gladly remove my shoes when asked. Respecting other's property when invited in is important to me. Be a gracious guest and remove your shoes.

I don't ask people to remove their shoes, but I have hardwood floors that are easily cleaned. Carpet is different.

I would respect my hosts' wishes. Of course.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I don't get all the "if I have to take my shoes off I'm leaving" stuff. What's the big deal, forget to put on clean socks? Stanky feets?

I don't bother at my house (tho Mrs. PHPaul thinks I should...) but I'd certainly go with my host's wishes at other people's house.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15203 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I don't get all the "if I have to take my shoes off I'm leaving" stuff. What's the big deal, forget to put on clean socks? Stanky feets?

I don't bother at my house (tho Mrs. PHPaul thinks I should...) but I'd certainly go with my host's wishes at other people's house.

Nah man, like gun control, it’s a slippery slope. What’s next? Pants removal?

(I actually don’t think I’d mind that really.)

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
As long as they don't have unruly dogs in need of a kick, sure I'll take them off.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I'm attending a person's event, that person means enough to me that I have zero issue removing shoes.

Then again, this is Michigan, and it's kind of a dick move to track wet, salty crud through somebody's home,and I appreciate when people respect me enough that they know to do this without being asked.

I can kinda see if you need orthotic insoles or something, but even that can be dealt with.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
...but I am not taking off my shoes when I visit anyone's house. I do not care if they have a sparkling new white rug. Not gonna do it. Ever.

Some people/cultures want you to leave your shoes outside or in a designated place inside their homes. Don't visit such people's homes if you feel this way.

Posts: 27922 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I grew up in Europe. Over there, everybody takes their shoes off when they go inside. Even the schools have "shoe rooms" where the kids change their shoes (they have slippers) and hang their coats when they come inside. It makes sense, because the streets over there are covered with all kinds of nasty stuff (dog crap, drunk guy piss, etc), so you don't need people tracking that stuff inside.

My parents both grew up on Dairy farms. My grandpa would go in the basement, shower, and change everything before he came inside. Even after he retired, shoes always got left in the garage.

We remove our shoes in our house, too. There's no point in tracking all the mud, crap, and slush from outside all over the inside of the house. I don't ask guests to do it, but I appreciate it when they do.

Posts: 8532 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
A hundred or more years ago, there was horse shit in the street.

Posts: 107472 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Depends on the weather conditions and type shoe.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14033 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackAgnes:
...but I am not taking off my shoes when I visit anyone's house. I do not care if they have a sparkling new white rug. Not gonna do it. Ever.

Ever? Even if the host asks that their guests do so, because of their tradition/culture?

Q

Posts: 26324 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Surprised so many have no problems with this.
I mentioned my in-laws going shoeless but they don't ask guests to remove theirs. Still, the implication is there. Many, maybe most will remove their shoes but not all.

If you're willing to honor such requests, shouldn't the homeowner offer alternatives as well? Or bring your own. I know in winter, not wearing shoes can make for a pretty unpleasant experience if the temps are kept low.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8327 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
Surprised so many have no problems with this.
I mentioned my in-laws going shoeless but they don't ask guests to remove theirs. Still, the implication is there.

Why are you surprised so many of us respect other people’s property? Shoes are nasty. Like what was stated earlier, your shoes walk all over piss and shit covered floors in restaurants, etc. Your socks don’t.

I don’t see removing ones shoes in a mud room, etc. an unreasonable request.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3960 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, I have hardwood floors on the first floor and carpet on the second. You can wear your shoes on the first floor, but if you want to go upstairs, you are asked to remove your shoes. I think that everyone understands this and I do not think that it's in any way unreasonable.

Posts: 107472 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
We also have hardwood floors and grouted tile. People wearing tennis shoes or lugged sole boots may not realize that their shoes have debris (stones, hard thorns, etc) in them which may damage hardwood or even tile grout.

We have a sign at the door that visitors should feel free to remove their shoes or at least show the courtesy of inspecting their soles. Visitors have found construction staples, thumb tacks and dog crap embedded in their soles. It's a simple request which has never caused a complaint.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
In my first house, a college buddy of mine came over for dinner and instantly tracks dog shit into my entry way carpet, my wife screaming at him to stop in his tracks. Seems he picked it up walking on some grass next door near the sidewalk. My wife spent some time cleaning it up. In my next house, my brother-in-law and his family came over and he accidentally scratched up our stone floor and a bit of the hardwood; he had several small rocks embedded in the soles of his shoes. Since then, my wife and I frowned on wearing outdoor shoes in the house. We only wear indoor slippers/shoes that do not see the outside. All of our friends and family know to take their shoes off, even though we do not strictly enforce anything. But in the last 2 years here in TX, even the plumbers, electricians, HVAC contractors do not enter our home without wearing their own provided disposable booties, and we did not ask them to either. Real professionals.

I don't see taking shoes off as a big deal. And as others have pointed out, your shoes are the only contact of what is on the ground and floors where the masses walk on. After each business trip to San Francisco, my shoes are removed outside the front door and washed before I use them again.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16662 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
Or bring your own. I know in winter, not wearing shoes can make for a pretty unpleasant experience if the temps are kept low.

Mom does this... when she comes to my house, she takes off her shoes and puts on a pair of slippers she has brought with her. I think that's great -- no tracking in of the outside stuff, no getting her socks/feet dirty from whatever my other inconsiderate guests might have tracked in. Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13483 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I don't know, this is a tough one. I can see both sides here.

If asked to remove my shoes before entering someone's house, I would do so. But I am not sure I would be going back there.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5034 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post