SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I don't care if you disagree...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I don't care if you disagree... Login/Join 
posted
...but I am not taking off my shoes when I visit anyone's house. I do not care if they have a sparkling new white rug. Not gonna do it. Ever.

"Dead Midgets Handled With No Questions Asked"

Posts: 687 | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Ha! I think this exact topic was my first post ever in this section of the forum.

I agree with you. I won’t ask my guests to remove their shoes, especially if it’s for a holiday or get together. I invited you, I’m not going to ask you to remove articles of clothing unless we’re planning on having an orgy later.

Normally, we have a loose rule of not wearing shoes in the house, but not super strict...that’s why we clean the floors every week.

But like you, I really don’t like taking my shoes off in other people’s homes as a guest.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Our guests have always asked, and we've always responded it's their choice, but we prefer it. Everybody always has.

We're respectful of our guests' predilections. They, in turn, are respectful of ours.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
People that want you to remove shoes should provide shoe covers for those who do not like to remove them.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ain't wearing any damned shoe covers either.

Too easy to slip and fall due to lack of traction, wrenching up something that shouldn't be wrenched.

Posts: 465 | Location: Pell City, AL. U.S. | Registered: December 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Asking me to remove my shoes is a guarantee that this visit is my last to your house. I would never ask anyone to take off their shoes in my house, in fact please keep your shoes on for the entirety of your visit in my home unless you are spending the night.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
The Christmas hosting inlaws are farmers and it's hard to keep things clean on the farm so I see their point. Still, I show up with clean shoes and keep them on as do some others. I've never seen anyone track up the house and don't expect anyone to. You can be respectful on your terms.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8328 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Your thread title should be more complete, but you can leave it as it is, 'cause you'se connected- I mean, 'cause you're a friend of ours. fuggedaboutit

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I gladly remove my shoes when asked. Respecting other's property when invited in is important to me. Be a gracious guest and remove your shoes.

I don't ask people to remove their shoes, but I have hardwood floors that are easily cleaned. Carpet is different.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12423 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
I gladly remove my shoes when asked. Respecting other's property when invited in is important to me. Be a gracious guest and remove your shoes.

Exactly. I have no problem taking off my boots when asked if I go to someone's house.
I don't mind if people wear shoes or boots in my house because the whole downstairs is linoleum. Upstairs is carpeted. If someone goes upstairs, shoes off. My bedroom and bathroom are upstairs and I don't want to step in wet.
Only time I ask is if it's snowy outside. Floors downstairs get a bit slippery with water on them.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Coming from an Asian backround, our family always removed shoes when inside. It was natural for us, a reflex. But we never insisted our guests do so. If you want to, fine, but if not, also fine. I usually keep my shoes on when visiting a non-Asian household.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:

I don't ask people to remove their shoes, but I have hardwood floors that are easily cleaned. Carpet is different.

Agreed. I don’t have a problem with it at all. It’s called respect for someone’s property.

Maybe some of you have funky feet? Smile

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Careful What You Wish For...
Picture of Monk
posted Hide Post
I don't walk around in socks. Which means if the shoes are coming off, so are the socks.

Georgeair: "...looking around my house this morning, it's not easily defended for long by two people in the event of real anarchy. The entryways might be slick for the latecomers though...."

Posts: 11865 | Location: Hoisting the colors in a strange land | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So stay home already. You sound cranky and mean tempered.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dont ask or expect it. I keep my little front porch area very clean, so that helps keep things clean indoors.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I don't care if you do or don't but when you walk in my front door there is a row of Shoes flip flops there because we live in Florida.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I'm generally pretty amenable to requests like this, but there's one couple that solved that problem for me. One of them is extremely proud of being part Japanese, to the point where they insist all guests remove their shoes at the door. I get the reasons that this practice developed in Japan in feudal society. It's an entirely different situation and set of factors in society today... and I discovered when we were leaving their house after their last social gathering that some asshole had stepped on and smooshed one of my shoes.

We don't go over there anymore. If I gotta take my shoes off, I can kindly excuse myself at the door, or even at the curb, and ask what time my wife and son would like to be picked up.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Many years ago, my first wife and I had just bought a newly built house right before Thanksgiving. She cooked a big dinner for her family, and her dad shows up right out of the deer blind with red mud all over his boots.

He got pissed and left when I asked him to leave his boots in the mudroom. Granted, I didn't ask anyone else to remove their shoes, but no one else had red mud caked on them.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Huffman:
He got pissed and left when I asked him to leave his boots in the mudroom. Granted, I didn't ask anyone else to remove their shoes, but no one else had red mud caked on them.

See, but that's a mud room, and that's what it's for. That's a whole other set of circumstances. When I lived in snow country, it was understood that you ditch your icy, slushy outerwear in the mudroom. That means boots, too. Doing so in that scenario never has, never would bother me much.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I grew up with a house in the Upper Midwest that was carpeted in every room except the kitchen and entrance. Therefore, I was raised to take off my shoes. It was year around too because we were backed up to a state game forest so our shoes were dirty in the summer and we played outdoors in the winter.

When I lived in houses with carpet (e.g. Alaska), I asked people to take their shoes off in the winter. Even in Calgary with all hard woods on the main level I asked people to take their shoes off because I didn't want to step in a wet spot, but I did have clean pairs of traction socks to give people.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post