SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Kyle Rittenhouse's Team Succeeds In Alienating Me
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kyle Rittenhouse's Team Succeeds In Alienating Me Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Yesterday I receive two emails, in sequence, one right after the other, giving a status update. An hour later I get two more, claiming a funding emergency. Despite being mildly annoyed, I considered donating again, then I get Yet Another Email about the same "funding emergency," followed by a text message.

I never gave them my phone number, so that last was definitely text message spamming.

Two more emailed pleas today. Again identical.

That does it! The tagged email address I gave them and their sender address have now been blacklisted on my email server and they won't be seeing another red cent from me.

I detest spammers

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen emails from Kyle, but I've gotten plenty from Sarah Huckabee, Judicial Watch, Tea Party PAC, Rand Paul, etc. I instantly hit the delete key.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
I got the same thing yesterday. When the text message hit I thought "Who signed off on this? All you are doing is pissing people off now."

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Well, Donald Trump Jr. is a good friend of mine, apparently. We're only acquainted through text messages, of course, but the fact that he reached out to me personally says a lot.

If I can help him with a few dollars...

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I detest spammers

Likewise. While I was still working and managing a mail server, I blocked all of the Chinese IP blocks, among others. You can download a list, but I notice lately the list has become quite lengthy.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
I detest spammers

Likewise. While I was still working and managing a mail server, I blocked all of the Chinese IP blocks, among others.

Oh, I've crapton of Chinese IP addresses blackholed entirely, for everything, due to repeated, egregious network abuse.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The amount of spam that I receive, requesting money for various causes, has increased quite a bit recently.

My standard reply to most of them is, "I would love to help you with your worthy cause, but I just have a little money and you have a lot. Can you send some to me?"

I'll report back if any of them sends me some money. Don't hold your breath. You might turn blue.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's pretty simple to set your phone up only to accept stuff from numbers in your address book, I think.

Posts: 17141 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:

It's pretty simple to set your phone up only to accept stuff from numbers in your address book, I think.
True about the phone, not so true about email.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Apparently the tactic works. The left uses the same tactics.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yesterday I receive two emails, in sequence, one right after the other, giving a status update. An hour later I get two more, claiming a funding emergency. Despite being mildly annoyed, I considered donating again, then I get Yet Another Email about the same "funding emergency," followed by a text message.

I never gave them my phone number, so that last was definitely text message spamming.

Two more emailed pleas today. Again identical.

That does it! The tagged email address I gave them and their sender address have now been blacklisted on my email server and they won't be seeing another red cent from me.

I detest spammers

I got the same string of requests.
The sheer magnitude of it is a bit infurating.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1541 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Today every communication includes a request for a donation. I often wonder if the survey, information, birthday greeting, or whatever is just a pretense for asking for a donation.

Just like advertising, I can block, delete, or ignore most of it, but the sheer amount of it and the effort to deal with it are a pain.

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Today every communication includes a request for a donation.
Tell them, "You have a lot of money and I just have a little. Can you send some to me?"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eponym:
Today every communication includes a request for a donation.

I get no more communications from them. After they pulled the text message spamming stunt, following several emails over that day and the day previous, I unsubscribed from their mailing list and blackholed it.

They must have figured out the text message spamming was a bad idea, because they haven't pulled that stunt again. At least not on me.

Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I think Rittenhouse got put under the wing of a bunch of grifters when he was first charged. As I understand it, the money Lin Wood help raise for Kyle may not have gone to him, or at least a good chunk of it. I can put myself in Kyle's and his family's frame of mind. You're charged with murder and it seems like the world is against you and here shows up people that say they will help.

Recently Robert Barnes has gotten involved with his case and hope he can help "right the ship" so to speak.

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I think he'll eventually walk, as long as he keeps out of trouble, but he's reminding me of George Zimmerman in many ways.
He's young and making lots of poor decisions. Hopefully he will learn and improve as he ages and goes through this experience. So far he's not showing that. Hopefully the adults in his team will get some control so he doesn't self-destruct.
Like George, the shooting itself was legitimate self defense. In fact he showed amazing control and skill once he was in that situation.
But also like George, he seems to be a s*it magnet for getting himself into situations that require a lot of luck along with those skills. Keep doing that long enough and your luck will meet the law of averages.

Posts: 9501 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everyone at my work gets daily phone spam bot calls for Hyatt hotels. I'm pretty sure it's not Hyatt making these annoying robocalls.

Could be the same thing here. Hopefully you don't take it out on Kyle.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post