SIGforum
Midway USA... *sigh*... I *Tried* To Give You More Business. Update: And They Disappoint Again

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/8440019654

June 05, 2019, 01:15 PM
bolo4tom
Midway USA... *sigh*... I *Tried* To Give You More Business. Update: And They Disappoint Again
when everyone starts charging tax for online purchases, then I guess im just stuck paying it but for now, way too many retailers out there not doing it...so ill use them.
June 05, 2019, 11:43 PM
konata88
I don’t patronize midway anymore. They’ve proven to be CA unfriendly whereas others like Brownells have gone out of their way to be CA friendly.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
June 06, 2019, 09:00 AM
a1abdj
quote:
it but for now, way too many retailers out there not doing it...so ill use them.

Maybe you aren't aware, but if you do not pay sales tax to a retailer, most states require you to pay use tax yourself.

I know many people don't care about the brick and mortar business that are local to them, and don't appreciate what they provide to their communities, so I propose a two way street.

If I were in charge of government, I would start subpoenaing records of large internet retailers. I would seek those who are spending a fair amount of money online, and compare that to their use tax filings or lack thereof.

Then I would charge them to the fullest extent of the law with tax evasion, and fine them to the greatest extent possible. I would even condone the seizure of their assets to cover any penalties, past due monies, and interest.

www.zykansafe.com
June 07, 2019, 06:24 PM
cas
I spent a couple, to several thousand dollars a year for 25+ years with them. Then they did away with their "dealer" pricing several years ago. I've probably sent them about $60 since then. How's that working out for you? Wink

June 07, 2019, 06:39 PM
ensigmatic
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
If I were in charge of government...

Thank God you're not, and likely never will be.

Wow.

BTW: Internet retailers charging sales tax hasn't altered my buying patterns one iota.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
June 07, 2019, 07:39 PM
a1abdj
quote:
Thank God you're not, and likely never will be.

Wow.

What's the problem? Tax evasion is illegal no? It's a misdemeanor here in Missouri to not file a use tax return if one is due, and the penalty is 25% on top of what is owed. All of those remedies I mentioned are currently how those matters are handled are they not?

Sometimes I notice that those on the right tend to be just as bad as those on the left when it comes to picking and choosing which laws are enforced. If we aren't going to enforce them they shouldn't exist, and if they do exist, they should be enforced.

I'm tired of my taxes being increased to make up for the decrease in revenue collection. And I'm more than happy to start with those who are illegally evading paying them.

www.zykansafe.com
June 08, 2019, 09:45 AM
darkest2000
Ever since I've subscribed to Brownell's Edge, I've not shopped at Midway or most other places (unless it's something they don't carry).

I just love the ability to buy stuff and not have to think about piggyback a bunch of small things to make up for shipping. Forgot a small part after placing a large order? Don't worry about it, just place another.

Price is usually decent and with dealer discount and their frequent promos it winds up being cheaper than most everyone else.
June 08, 2019, 12:00 PM
ensigmatic
quote:
Sometimes I notice that those on the right tend to be just as bad as those on the left when it comes to picking and choosing which laws are enforced.

You know what else people on the right do as badly as those on the left: Make assumptions. You've made two: 1. That I'm a conservative. (I'm not. Not by any stretch of the imagination.) 2. That I don't believe tax laws should be enforced.

I suspect you're making a third assumption: That everybody who shops on-line does so primarily, or at least in part, to avoid taxes. Most people with whom I've discussed it shop on-line for three primary reasons:

1. Selection
  2. Price
  3. Convenience

#1 is my primary reason. #2 is a distant second. In fact I've found my local retailers will usually at least try to be competitive and are at least grateful when I give them an opportunity. I've actually had local retailers tell me "Hell, I'd buy it from them for that price, too. I don't blame you." #3 is a distant third, which I regard as being trumped by being able to touch it before I buy it, take it home immediately, and easily return/replace it if something's not right.

I always try to buy local. I never browse locally, then turn around and buy on-line.

Taxes have never entered into the equation for me. Nor has anybody to whom I've ever talked about it said taxes figured into their buying choices. Personally, I'm glad on-line retailers are collecting sales tax, now. Relieves me of the burden of either paying the use tax or being a scofflaw.

quote:
I'm tired of my taxes being increased to make up for the decrease in revenue collection.

Maybe you should be looking to your state's spending and revenue habits?

I suspect on-line retailers are hurting municipalities more in the loss of property tax revenue and declining retail employment opportunities than sales tax loss. My town, for example, is hurting badly due to the loss of retailers. And it's all due to the loss of property taxes. My municipality responded by cutting-back, then floating millage increase proposals to make up for the more severe impacts. (Most of the reasonable ones of which have passed.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
June 18, 2019, 10:29 PM
NK402
I've always had good luck with them until recently. Their new checkout procedure makes the NRA roundup appear to be mandatory instead of voluntary. It's only when you get to the end of the process, that you have the option to delete it. I therefore tried to place the order by phone only to be told there was currently a seven minute wait time. So I would have to sit on hold for seven minutes for the privilege of having someone take my money. Not !