SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Fidget Spinners
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fidget Spinners Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It's funny, but back when I was 12, we had fad gadget called a "Rubik's Cube". Everyone had one and teachers were taking them away from kids left and right. Fast forward to the present and the math teachers in my kids' school are giving cubes to the kids and trying to teach them how to solve it. I have to wonder if 35 years from now, physics teachers will be passing out fidget spinners as part of their lesson plan.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blueye:
I need to get out more, never heard of it or seen one until now.

I'd heard of them, but not seen one until the video on pg 1.

I still don't get it after seeing it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
Apparently, they have more uses than we realized. Eek

http://www.focustimes.org/bois...r-became-stuck-anus/

Posts: 559 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
I was at a middle school yesterday after school let out (don't ask why), and as I was walking in, I walked past a car with a girl child and her dad waiting. I noticed she was spinning a small propeller. When I came back out 20 minutes later, they were still waiting and she was still spinning the propeller. I made the assumption they were waiting to pick up brother or sister. She was not fidgeting. Anything that keeps their faces out of a phone is ok with me.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
The little Fidget Cube is cool:

The cubes are great. I bought a bunch for the office. We all have varying levels of focus.

The spinners are good and bad. They definitely have some application for kids with focus issues, but they have become a toy fad so they are just as much of a distraction for other kids.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My fidget toy is a balisong Knife. Big Grin

Posts: 1249 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: December 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post

They are quiet and harmless, oh and fun.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
My son has one. It is helping him keep his hands busy so that he won't bite his nails.

When I drive I fidget with a large caliber rifle cartridge. I keep a 375 RUM cartridge on my dashboard and twirl it around trough my fingers. Big rifle cartridges make great fidgets.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mboroman:
Apparently, they have more uses than we realized. Eek

http://www.focustimes.org/bois...r-became-stuck-anus/

Great, can't wait to see the warning labels that come after this incident. Bad enough we need a warning on our coffee that it is hot.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes,
My grandson just showed me his. He just got it and said he was the only one in the school that did not have one.

I asked his if that is the only reason he got it.

No, they are cool, he said.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
Actually, I've seen kids playing with those things and until this thread, I really had no idea what they were called...

At least they are better than those damned "clacking balls" from back in the day Big Grin

Klackers

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bogart had some look here:

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dedguy:
My fidget toy is a balisong Knife. Big Grin

The original, but not classroom and friendly - sadly.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
My granddaughter informed me that these toys were developed for autistic children. Her youngest brother has been diagnosed as such (I don't see it). She and her younger brother were over at my house Saturday spinning away with these things. The youngest grandson (the supposedly autistic one) was busy playing with trucks and riding a bike in our yard. Again, I don't see it.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
We don't have those here

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
We don't have those here
Don't be left out. All the cool kids have them. Get them on WOOT! today.

Here's one.

And more here.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Thirty years from now kids of today will be fondly remembering their childhood fidgets.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a young guy haul one out and play with it during a job interview. We decided he wasn't a good fit.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Actually, I was thinking of getting my girlfriend one. She's super anxious about just about everything, and on the Autism spectrum, so she finds fiddling with stuff very soothing.

They're the New Hottness for whatever reason, but that doesn't mean they're completely stupid and without merit. It just means that if I wait 3 months, I'll be able to get one for 75 cents at a garage sale.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Anchor:
My grandkids have them. Who would think you could take a few race bearings put them together in colored plastic and make a billion dollars. I'm thinking a Pet Rock. Chris

The poor woman that invented it for her son didn't have the money for a patent renewal and doesn't get a penny from profits. She is okay with this as it helps kids out. She wouldn't mind having made money off it but realizes you can't go crazy over what you can't control.

Kinda true, but not really.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/...-20170515-story.html

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post