SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Rental car additional fees
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rental car additional fees Login/Join 
posted
Especially at airports. Picked up a mid-size at SYR today,
four day total charge will be $266. Basic amount is $186,
concession fee recovery (11%) is $21, customer facility
charge $15, and 20% tax was $44.

I was aware of this when I made the reservation on the Hertz
www site, but it still annoys me.

A few years ago I complained about similar fees at DEN,
they ignored me since I live in another state.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's all the taxes the government, state, and local put on rental cars...…….want a real pissed off surprise, look at the taxes on airline tickets.....I've flown on a bunch of flights where the fees/taxes are over 2x the amount of the cost of the flight itself. Unfortunately the rental car companies and airline companies have nothing to do with them.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
You can frequently eliminate many of these fees by renting a car from an off-airport facility.

The trade-off is typically additional fees for convenience.

Here in Orlando, for example, there are many car rental facilities near the airport, but not on airport property. They provide shuttle service from the airport to the car rental place.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30640 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Anchorage a 80 dollar rental has $120 fees& taxes...

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Hawaii fleeces its tourists with car rental and hotel taxes. They pay it happily.

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hawaii fleeces its tourists with car rental and hotel taxes. They pay it happily.

^^^^^^^
I did not pay it happily. I had paid in advance to have a rental waiting when we arrived in Maui. None available when we landed and had to take a long shuttle ride to the hotel and wait for several days before a rental was available. When we ready to leave, the rental company refused to give us credit for the missed days. After I produced a note from the counter guy who said we would get a cash refund and raised my voice appropriately, he counted out the cash. I absolutely hated the ripoffs in Wakiki and the general ambience of Oahu. The Big Island was nice. I do not plan to EVER visit again.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:

Big difference in the happy equation depends on if your are paying it in Maui and Syracuse LOL

Posts: 23381 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
Who is going to complain, a bunch of tourists or people passing through? No one cares about their complaints. You generally have little choice and they(Taxing Authority)know it.

Posts: 1358 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
I hear ya! I rented a car for a week at SYR about 3 weeks ago. It cost more than my round trip airfare from ATL.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3813 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Out of towners don’t usually vote locally.

If I don’t need a vehicle right away, I look into a shuttle to a hotel then get a car away from the airport. Depending on specifics, one may or may not come out ahead.

On a longer trip you can shave a day off each end of rental time.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cut and plug
posted Hide Post
I’ve had very good luck renting from Costco travel. All the fees are included in the listed price and generally the total is cheaper than the price without fees on other websites.

Posts: 1145 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few years ago when my wife and went back to Oahu, we had a very good experience with the off air port car rental company. I had reserved a compact which was waiting when we arrived. Picked it up with no hitches. The next day we were driving around the island when it started to rain. I turned on the wipers and nothing happened. I tried again nothing...great I thought. I tried the washer...the wipers worked. So for the rest of the day I would press the washer whenever we needed the wipers. We finished our loop of the island and went back to rental location. The manager could not apologize enough. He asked one of his guys if the Caddy was still there and was told No so he upgraded us to a Lincoln (at no additional cost) for rest of the week.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 726 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hbabler:
I’ve had very good luck renting from Costco travel. All the fees are included in the listed price and generally the total is cheaper than the price without fees on other websites.

Another vote for Costco. The price they show is the price you pay.

With Costco, you also get an additional driver for no extra fee. You also get unlimited mileage.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6394 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
AVIS added a toll charge of $15/day in case you used a toll road. ???

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sigmund: Thanks for this post!

Planning a trip to Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur, Mexico soon. Fishing charter with a couple of old friends. Great deal on a 2BR condo, good deal on airline tickets, good connection with a licensed charter captain with a good boat, and looking forward to a great week.

Pleasantly surprised to find that I could rent a mid-size car for under $10 per day! Your post had me looking through the "fine print", and I found that the additional charges levied would turn $10 per day into $66 per day!

Corresponding now with a retired ex-pat American living in Cabo who has offered to drive us anywhere we want to go in his late-model van for $80 per day (US). Pick us up at the airport, take us to our condo, be there every morning to get us to the charter boat, pick us up every afternoon, run us around to restaurants and bars. Says his Mexican girlfriend is an excellent cook and has offered to prepare our fish for dinner every night.

I'm thinking "tip time" for someone, and the heck with the rental car.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoboGunLeather:
Sigmund: Thanks for this post!

Planning a trip to Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur, Mexico soon. Fishing charter with a couple of old friends. Great deal on a 2BR condo, good deal on airline tickets, good connection with a licensed charter captain with a good boat, and looking forward to a great week.

Pleasantly surprised to find that I could rent a mid-size car for under $10 per day! Your post had me looking through the "fine print", and I found that the additional charges levied would turn $10 per day into $66 per day!

Corresponding now with a retired ex-pat American living in Cabo who has offered to drive us anywhere we want to go in his late-model van for $80 per day (US). Pick us up at the airport, take us to our condo, be there every morning to get us to the charter boat, pick us up every afternoon, run us around to restaurants and bars. Says his Mexican girlfriend is an excellent cook and has offered to prepare our fish for dinner every night.

I'm thinking "tip time" for someone, and the heck with the rental car.

YUP, use the local who will also save you money in other ways by telling you the ins and outs of places and what to tip and what other things should cost.

Taxi's are usually pretty cheap in Mexico also, but always ask the price before getting into the taxi.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I like that driver plan too, better to blend in around Cabo anyway.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post