SIGforum
Whatever Happened to "Neither Rain nor Sleet nor Snow"

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/8420097534

January 08, 2018, 04:44 PM
ewills
Whatever Happened to "Neither Rain nor Sleet nor Snow"
We haven't had any real snow here in a couple of years. But, in the past after a couple feet of snow, and making sure i cleared near my mailbox, we received our mail promptly. It is very rare not to see my usual postman whatever the weather. I have seen USPS trucks most Sundays delivering packages. Amazon, I guess?
January 08, 2018, 05:03 PM
rscalzo
Amazon drivers are trying to outrun ICE.

Amazon delivery truck overturns in Danbury; ICE holding driver in custody

http://www.unionleader.com/Ama...ng-driver-in-custody

Never missed a day of mail here...even after Bombzillia or whatever the media was calling the last average snow storm.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net
January 08, 2018, 05:39 PM
ASKSmith
I'll chime in.

I hate taking mail back. I even do several attempts on packages that require a signature, just so I don't have to take it back.

I haven't seen anyone else define a "pivot", which is what we get daily. Our mail volumes are calculated with an estimated time, and their calculations never suggest 8 hour routes, according to their "guestimation". So you are given more time on another route. Never mind that you aren't able to leave at your scheduled time on your own route due to mail volume, and your "pivot" might add 30 minutes of travel time, with the additional "pivot". This time of year, it's getting dark at 5:00, and carrying a route you don't know in the dark is a bad idea. People have been shot because of this. Dog attacks. I even knew 2 carriers that fell into fish ponds in February temps.

Yes, you can exit your truck to deliver mail. (I walk 90% of the day). I honestly don't know why a carrier wouldn't do this, I hate taking stuff back. Backing up in a Postal Vehicle is a big NO-NO. People have been killed because of this, as well as vehicle accidents.

I have a "3 day" rule of thumb. In bad weather, I will deliver the first 2 days. If your walkway isn't cleared by the 3rd day. I don't deliver. I'm not talking about additional snow, but there are people who have no inclination about cleaning off snow. They just drive/walk on it, and that's when it gets ugly. 2-3" of compacted uneven ice on steps/slopes???

I have 4 different sets of ice cleats I carry in my truck. I use what I think will work the best in the current situation. Today I used my bad-ass MoFo's. It's a toss up between your feet staying dry, or not busting your ass when the weather gets ugly. Today I chose not to bust my ass, but my feet were wet all day.

-----------------
I apologize now...
January 08, 2018, 07:58 PM
Audioholic
Another day passes, still no mail since Wed. 1/3. Neighbors verify that they haven't seen any mail either. I have three packages (one an iPhone for my wife) showing "Out for delivery" as of 9:50 this morning so the truck was loaded? Apparently our carrier couldn't be bothered to get any further than that. And do you think the tracking has been updated to show a delay? Oh hell no.

Main roads are all cleared and temps were in the 40s today. Most people went to work today. Most people. Tomorrow I'll just go to the P.O. and get the damn mail myself.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard
January 08, 2018, 08:32 PM
95flhr
All I can say is I have no complaint against the folks that deliver the mail out of our rural VA post office.

Saturday after delivering the mail, our delivery person saw a package came in for us during the day while she was on her route. She picked it up and stopped on her way home to drop it off.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart
January 09, 2018, 04:16 AM
ASKSmith
Our job is all about time management. And now we have GPS equipped scanners, which I believe is a good thing. The last blizzard we had, we were told to work until 4pm (9hr day), then return to the office. The next day, start where you left off.

Our day is divided into 2 categories, office time and street time. These are set in stone, down to the minute. Our time clocks are in 1/100th of an hour, not minutes. So our time is scrutinized more than every minute. My first route, I had 3 hours office time, 5 hours street. My current route I have 70 minutes to sort my mail, load my truck, and get to my first house. I've been on this route for over 2 years, and I have only done that maybe a dozen times.

I drive a large Dodge 1 ton van. I've had it for over a year now. I honestly don't know how carriers can use the smaller mail trucks, since there are days I can barely fit my mail in my truck. My route is mostly walking, but I do have some businesses and apartments. It's left hand drive, so it won't work for some routes. But front wheel drive, A/C, and a radio is a beautiful thing.

Dogs. When I first started my current route, I asked the carrier before me if there were any senior citizens I need to help out, and where are the bad dogs. The carrier told me about a dog at "123 Main". So the first time I saw this customer, I told him I'm not playing games, if his dog is out, he's not getting his mail. And since the chain is long enough for the dog to get in his neighbor's yard, his neighbor won't get his mail either. At lease twice a month, I can't deliver to either of these houses. The customer has a fenced in back yard, and I've asked him why can't he put his dog in the backyard. About a month ago, the dog was out. I walk past this house on the opposite side of the street, before I turn around, so the dog is barking for at least 5 minutes before I get to the house. I walk about 2 houses past, and the customer comes out screaming (obscenities) at me for not delivering the neighbors mail. I didn't say anything, just kept walking. As soon as I got to my truck, I called my supervisor to let him know of this situation. Since I don't like to take things back, I drove my truck and dropped off the neighbors mail. Customer came out, still swearing, and I politely and professionally told him if he ever talks to me like that again, he can pick up his mail at the post office. I didn't deliver his mail for a few days, and by Post Office regulations, I don't have to deliver it at all, ever again. But it's easier for me to just deliver his mail. About 2 weeks ago, it happened again. He came out swearing. I asked politely, and said if you can see my truck (and pointed to it about 100yds up the road), can you please put your dog inside. His response was, "I fucking do that, Asshole". So I didn't deliver his mail for about 2 weeks. I forgot to mention on this last episode, the guy had another dog, off a leash, which was running at me as I was on the opposite side of the street. It's an older dog, so I wasn't too concerned, but even then, I'm walking on ice carrying 30lbs in a bag on my shoulder, and don't want to deal with a loose dog. Again, I don't have to ever deliver this guys mail, but it is just easier for me to deliver it, since I only have to deal with once in the day. I really don't understand the notion of people thinking carriers just take things back to the post office, it just creates more work at the end of the day, or next day.

I'm "over the hump" towards retiring. I enjoy my job, I basically get paid to walk around and listen to the radio. But I feel for the younger carriers. My route is about 12 miles walking, and relatively flat. Some of them are over 15 with hills, steps, and more dogs.

-----------------
I apologize now...
January 09, 2018, 09:09 AM
Edmond
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
Some of them are over 15 with hills, steps, and more dogs.

That's not a mail route, that's going on patrol. Big Grin

January 09, 2018, 02:00 PM
ASKSmith
^
In USMC jargon, we called it a "hump". But we aren't allowed to carry firearms.

I joke that if mailmen were allowed to carry firearms, there would be no such thing as a stray dog.

-----------------
I apologize now...
January 09, 2018, 04:56 PM
Orguss
Yesterday, it was pouring rain and a new CCA was assigned to carrying a route that’s mostly walking. When I did the route, I could do the walking part in about four hours. I’m not sure when the new guy left, but he still had t gotten halfway through the route by 7PM and he brought the rest back and hid it. Needless to say, the regular carrier wasn’t too happy when I spoke to her today.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
January 09, 2018, 05:12 PM
GWbiker
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Yesterday, it was pouring rain and a new CCA was assigned to carrying a route that’s mostly walking. When I did the route, I could do the walking part in about four hours. I’m not sure when the new guy left, but he still had t gotten halfway through the route by 7PM and he brought the rest back and hid it. Needless to say, the regular carrier wasn’t too happy when I spoke to her today.

Subs delivering mail in my complex do same thing. Questionable address or name? Take it back. Never mind the complex main office is 20 yards away and the gals there will be happy to correct the name/address. Nope, take it back for the regular route man to deal with.

Who then comes into the PO next day, see's the return mail and ask's: "What the hell is this stuff doing here"?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".
January 10, 2018, 08:30 PM
ASKSmith
PTF's, CCA's, I don't even know what they call them now.

This is not an easy job. You either adapt to it or you quit. Or go into management. Postal Management.

CCA's are on a probationary status. 90 days. It's like a carrot hanging above their face. If they don't perform, they get fired. They get put on new routes daily, and have no clue where they are going. We actually had a stand up talk telling them to not leave piss bottles in trucks.

So I'll extend on that. A female coworker went out to check on a new female coworker. She found her sitting on a curb, saying she had to piss so bad, she was about to piss her pants. My coworker gave her a Gatorade bottle, and tried to explain to her how to piss in a bottle.

-----------------
I apologize now...