SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    White Coat Syndrome
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

White Coat Syndrome Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Huh? I've never had my blood pressure taken at a dentist's office...

I think it's a fairly new thing, or possibly age-related. Don't recall it previously, but at my new dentist, they do it even before a cleaning.

Thinking about it, they also review my routine meds at every visit and the fact that I'm on BP meds may have something to do with it.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
Whenever I went to the dentist my hygienest would take my BP

quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
I hate dentists and my BP shoots up while I’m in the office. Each time I get a new hygienist I warn them that it’ll be high. Each time I get lectured about my BP.

Huh? I've never had my blood pressure taken at a dentist's office..

My last dentist was a sedation dentist and took BP before the IV was inserted. I chose that route to get the maximum amount of stuff done in one visit just to get it over with. Very peaceful I might add Big Grin

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Huh? I've never had my blood pressure taken at a dentist's office...

I just had a couple of teeth pulled in preparation for getting two implants installed. They took my blood pressure for that. But I've never had it taken for a normal appointment.

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
My last dentist was a sedation dentist and took BP before the IV was inserted.

That one makes sense, but why would they do it during a routine cleaning/dental checkup?

Mission creep?

Are they going to start doing hernia checks at the optometrist's office? ("Please try reading the bottom line there, and then turn your head and cough...")

Is my podiatrist going to be handing out toothpaste and reminding me to floss?

Big Grin

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
^
Still a few years away from that, but she has small hands.

So she will need veterinarian gloves when the time comes? Smile

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
White coat syndrome is actually named "essential hypertension," formerly called "idiopathic hypertension." It is all forms of an elevated or low blood pressure not related to a definite cause.

One other factor people overlook is that the whole "120/80" is a statistical mean of a large population of healthy people. What that means is about 95% of the population is within plus/minus two standard deviations of that value.

What medical professionals forget, however, is that means there are 2.5% of the population whose correct, healthy, and entirely natural blood pressure is below 90/60 or above 150/100.

There are a few ways to discover if you are one of that 2.5%, for example, change some aspect of your diet (e.g., restrict sodium intake) or lifestyle to see if there is an effect on resting blood pressure.

I know. At my fittest at 28, eating a low salt, low fat diet my blood pressure was no different than it was in my teens or my 40s.

Having had an informed discussion with my primary care we agreed to worry only if it got above 180/110 for no apparent reason.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31376 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I am one of those afflicted with that symptom. My dr. had me get it taken once a week for 2 months and record it just to make sure. My bp was never over 125/85 the whole time and was usually lower. It was about 150/95 and rising in his office. The hot physical therapist that took it looks like Kate Hudson so if that didn't get my blood pressure up I knew it was white coat. When I told my dr. about it he agreed with me. *s* He was a dirty old man too.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1856 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. My recently retired primary car physician, whom I know well from our synagogue, would always chat with me a while and re-take my BP and enter that reading. Now I need to break in a new doctor. Dang.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
My recently retired primary car physician would always chat with me a while and re-take my BP

See? Mission creep. Now we even have mechanics taking BP readings! Big Grin

(Would that be Blue Shirt Syndrome?)

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
quote:

My last dentist was a sedation dentist and took BP before the IV was inserted. I chose that route to get the maximum amount of stuff done in one visit just to get it over with. Very peaceful I might add Big Grin

Who is yours? Cuz mine isnt a fan of it, and I like dude, I just wanna forget the damn pain. I'll pay you for it.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:
quote:

Who is yours? Cuz mine isnt a fan of it, and I like dude, I just wanna forget the damn pain. I'll pay you for it.

They're are several in this office located in Coral Gables, just off of US-1 near South Miami Hospital. It was about 15yrs ago so I don't even know if their offices still exist. They advertised quite a bit back then on TV so I thought I'd look them up and meet with them to get an idea of their procedures and costs. Not cheap by any means because they use an anesthesiologist who stays present during the whole visit and recovery. Dental insurance only covered standard procedures so the IV sedation came out of pocket and was $$. Worth it to me because of how much they could accomplish during one visit which lasted almost the whole day because somebody has to drive you there and pick you up to drive you home. And you're certainly not in much shape to do anything the rest of the day except snooze. Even though they prescribe pain meds for the next few days, you may be pretty sore depending what type of work they did. I'd certainly not recommend having this type of sedation for just cavities or minor stuff, but the great feature for me was they could accomplish a lot of work in one sitting.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post