SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    White Coat Syndrome
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

White Coat Syndrome Login/Join 
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted
I loathe going to the Doctor's office. To appease my wife, I went today for a physical and blood work.

I see a female doctor. She had a student with her. They tried to take my pulse and blood pressure. I told them I don't like being in a doctor's office, and it will be sky high. It was. I joked about it. The doctor asked if she thought she was going to hurt me. I replied back, "No, but now I know how my dog feels when I take her to the vet". The student was quick and said, "Next time we'll take your temperature rectally".

I had to get some blood work done, and they tried to get my BP again. It was the same. They recommended I get a home BP monitor, which I just ordered. She asked I take a few readings when I'm more relaxed, and let them know.

Took my wife out to breakfast, and explained why I hate going to the doctors office. Last few times I went to the doctor, something is always wrong. My ACL was torn, concussion, broken ribs, wrist, cavity, and I had a vasectomy with quite possibly the cutest nurse ever in a cold room. The doctor even complemented me on my "shave job".

My wife seemed jealous when I told her I was asked to drop my pants in front of two strange women.

Looking forward to my next visit!!!

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Did they read your BP with a machine, or manually?

I kept having high readings at the doc's office. After a few rounds of going back for rechecks over subsequent weeks to get a wider data set, and still getting high readings, they tried reading it manually. That got more normal readings.

A few months later, I went back again, and they had gotten rid of all their automatic BP machines in the office. Said they had too many issues with inaccurate readings, and were going to stick with manual from here on out.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
White Coat Syndrome.

I have that. More so, if doctor is a smoking hot Asian female. They cannot take my BP or pulse readings.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
They checked it manually. They have to use a large cuff, and my doctor commented on me working out. LOL. She jokes with me, but I am very uncomfortable when the door closes...

I will say my doctor is older, yet still very attractive.

I had to get blood drawn, they were worried about that. I'm fine with needles.

They rechecked my BP after the blood draw. Still sky high. I just wanted to get the hell out of there.

-----------------
I apologize now...

posted Hide Post
I once asked an eye doctor to put on a lab coat. She was, hmm, full-figured and had on a low cut top. She kept telling me to look at her ear. Fat chance.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Usually my BP drops back to normal after I've been in the office for a while, so they take readings twice at least.

One Doctor said I had "Clinic Anxiety", a good play-on-words.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I've been that guy for 4 years, since I started attending a doctor more regularly. My BP in office will run like 140/95+, but two or three times a day at home 115/80ish. I've taken it in morning, walked into office and was elevated. Also had home monitor, it was elevated to same level so monitor is accurate.

Like your doc they had me keep a regular log at home for a couple weeks and now work off that.

The funny thing is I work with docs every single day, and view them as peers more than superiors in most every way. That I somehow have a reaction in the office is beyond me, but now I attribute it to performance anxiety. Eek

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So which one did the prostate exam?

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
^
Still a few years away from that, but she has small hands.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I used to get white coat and I have since lost weight and seem to have good BP even with white coat now. However, my solution back then was to get a good home BP tester and chart my BP a couple times a day the week before and bring that data at my visit. That would be better data and for some reason calmed me down for the dr visit knowing I hade good data to work from. If you consistently get high readings, don’t fight the pill. They were not a big deal and are much healthier than having high blood presssure.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
she has small hands.

If she's going to use her whole hand, you're in for a treat! Wink

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15693 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
My wife has a MAJOR case of WCS. She knows it's psychosomatic and tries to suppress it, which makes it even worse. It's gotten so she just refuses to let them take her BP.

We both monitor ours at home so we know it's not a health problem. (I'm on meds).

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Same here with the WCS. I just tell them in the office that it does no good to take an initial BP reading because it will show higher than normal, but they will take it anyway. I will have them do another before I exit the office and it will be down to normal. Though they know this about me, they still take it firstly and just kinda ignore my comments. Always been like that with the doctor or dentist.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was expecting comments about why everyone believes whatever a Dr tells them is gospel, simply because they associate the coat with being more intelligent. Or some such... Never heard it called that before.
Either way, yes and yes. I'm 33 and my last visit the BP (manually taken) was high enough to elicit comments about stroke or heart attack. I truly do hate those visits. I think I would rather see a vet. And neither my Doc or the nurse were hot.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Yep, another member of the club too.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
^
Still a few years away from that, but she has small hands.

Reminds me of the time I was in the doc's office for prostate exam, preparing for treatment of cancer.

She was the doc that was in charge of the actual treatment. She said she needed to do the finger whirl thingee.

I told her she might as well as she was probably the only one in the 2 counties who had not done it yet. She smiled and said, "Yes, but I have such small hands!" She and my wife thought that was funny. Not so much for me.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Same here. Had an anxiety attack on the table last spring when the doc cored a deep piece of glass out of my foot. Had another in the dentist's chair about a month ago while getting a rather deep filling replaced. Damn near ripped the arms off the chair.

Needles didn't used to bother me, but then a few bright-shining star medical technicians fixed that for me. The good one was when I found that one of our Pyrex baking pans got broken the last time we moved, by shoving the nice, pointy edge that I couldn't see through the wrapping paper deep into the tip of my middle finger. They didn't want to give me any local before "cleaning it." The guy in the ER with the big "irrigation" syringe who put the blunt end into my fingertip and jammed down on the plunger almost caught my free hand in the face.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Whenever I went to the dentist my hygienest would take my BP and knew it was high because I loved to see her.

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I hate dentists and my BP shoots up while I’m in the office. Each time I get a new hygienist I warn them that it’ll be high. Each time I get lectured about my BP. But why trust some knuckle dragging idiot that knows what happens based on years of history? Roll Eyes

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
Whenever I went to the dentist my hygienest would take my BP

quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
I hate dentists and my BP shoots up while I’m in the office. Each time I get a new hygienist I warn them that it’ll be high. Each time I get lectured about my BP.

Huh? I've never had my blood pressure taken at a dentist's office...

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post