SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Idiot Home Buyer
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Idiot Home Buyer Login/Join 
posted
I have a contract on my house. It was inspected by a man known locally as the Deal Killer. The wife of the buyer is the daughter of a building contractor, so she “knows stuff.” The inspector hit me with about 500 bucks worth of petty crap. The buyer, however, demanded mold remediation. I pointed out that there was no mold discovered, so it could not be fixed. She insists it be treated for mold. In this state, if it wasn’t defective on the inspection the buyer cannot make it a condition of sale. We shall see. This is one evil, nasty, millennial bitch.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Next buyer!

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
You probably already know this, but, mold remediation is expensive.

Sounds to me like she is trying to get out of the deal.

Posts: 3718 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I’d tell her to go fuck off and find another buyer.

This sounds like nothing but trouble.

Oh and keep any earnest money she gave you if you can.

Posts: 33776 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Can you just write up a legally binding agreement that the purchaser will be responsible for any mitigation work that proves to be unnecessary?

Posts: 13240 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Make a formal counteroffer without any mold remediation. If they don't accept it's on to the next buyer.

When I sold my house in Alaska, the buyer tried all kinds of bullshit (e.g. painting outdoor trim in mid-November in Alaska) after I accepted their offer (i.e. kept sending in all kinds of addendums). Unfortunately, he forgot that he made buying my house contingent on selling his house and I required a copy of his home sale so I knew his closing date. I let 'em stack up and the MF'er learned what hardball truly was the day after the closing of the house he was selling. I sent back every addendum as rejected and got my realtor to commit to passing along "as is and no more bullshit or I'll sell it to my relocation company and you'll be celebrating Christmas in a hotel." The sale went through as is and through the realtors the buyer passed along an apology for his behavior.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She continues to insist on mold remediation in a house with NO MOLD. I sent her down the road. I don't need that shit. Her pajama boy husband was embarrassed but kept quiet she barked at him. Must be hard, having no balls.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Must be hard, having no balls.

What's the point in getting hard if there are no balls? Big Grin

Posts: 13097 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Must be hard, having no balls.

What's the point in getting hard if there are no balls? Big Grin

His balls were in her purse.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
A third party home inspector finds no mold, and the buyer demands mold remediation?

Uh, this person is not the buyer.... because fuck that.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
In writing, tell your realtor to stop acknowledging that buyer as it relates to your property.

Or, counter her EVERY demand by raising the price by $10K per demand item. Everything negotiable and raising the cost by $10K to remediate something not required and which costs $5K may be with the time. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Do you think she may have been trying to scam you?

Maybe she thought you’d cave and agree to giving her say $5,000 at closing for “mold” and she walks away laughing and pockets the cash?

Posts: 33776 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Next buyer!

This! I had a buyer once who wanted me to pump the septic tank even though there were NEVER any problems with the septic system. Told them they could either buy it as is or I was letting another person buy it. They bought it with no pumping. Smile

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Next buyer!

This! I had a buyer once who wanted me to pump the septic tank even though there were NEVER any problems with the septic system. Told them they could either buy it as is or I was letting another person buy it. They bought it with no pumping. Smile

It’s a game though. Buyers will try to push for as much as they think they can get away with and sellers can comply, meet halfway or tell them to pound sand.

Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Make sure you drain and refill the non-existent pool, too.

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used the pool comment before sending her packing. Less than 24 hours later, I had competing offers. I accepted one for 8k OVER asking price. We shall see. At least my current realtor is actually working hard to sell my house. She has folks back to back walking through.

Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
In writing, tell your realtor to stop acknowledging that buyer as it relates to your property.

Or, counter her EVERY demand by raising the price by $10K per demand item. Everything negotiable and raising the cost by $10K to remediate something not required and which costs $5K may be with the time. Wink

Exactly what I did.
Their VA inspector nickel and dimed me to death so I raised the price $5,000-$10,000 every "reinspection".
I TRIED to make them go away.
I ended up $25,000 over my asking.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
You probably already know this, but, mold remediation is expensive.

Sounds to me like she is trying to get out of the deal.

I agree.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:

Their VA inspector nickel and dimed me to death

VA inspectors are the worst. ever. They have to justify their existence by pulling this crap.

I ended up spending round $1,500 out of my own pocket to make a VA inspector happy so we could get the house we got in a private, as-is, sale.

Just lots of stupid, nit-picky crap. The bathrooms were built in the 1950's so no receptacle there. he tried to tell me "I needed to add a GFCI receptacle to every bathroom."

Sorry, but until we get around to renovating them in the future, I ain't adding shit, pal.

I did get him to back down on that one, but not any of the others.

To the OP: I still think she was trying to scam you, not get out of the deal.

posted Hide Post
I would have gave her mold remediation. Just spray some diluted bleach water around.

I learned a lesson on the last house we purchased. Its all in the details. I asked for the interior garage man door to be replaced as it violated code by having a cat door installed. I assumed I would get a new prehung door. They just took the door off the hinge and installed a solid door.

I also asked for the property to be treated for mice since droppings were found. I assumed a professional exterminator would be used. The realtor just put the little mice bait packets in the basement corners.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post