SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Need new water heater and unknown to me law changes in 2015!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need new water heater and unknown to me law changes in 2015! Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
Still not clear on this "federal" law...........

Grainger has 2 Rheem >50gal models:

https://www.grainger.com/categ...ect%3Dwater%2Bheater

Rheem's website lists them as commercial and not residential.

Ummmm there is no law stating you can't install a commercial water heater in a residential house.....technically.......

I manage some big houses and even those don't have an 85 gallon water heater....the one has a 65 gallon hybrid and is 8,000 sq feet and 7 bedroom/7bath house built in 2009.

I'm not spending $2,000 on a commercial water heater. Home Depot lists a 55 gallon, 12 year tank warranty Rheem for $680 that has the same 71 gallon FHR that our old one has. They just can't get for over two weeks. This was supposed to be a nice easy 1 hour project. Maybe only one trip to the hardware store.

Posts: 10899 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
Still not clear on this "federal" law...........

Grainger has 2 Rheem >50gal models:

https://www.grainger.com/categ...ect%3Dwater%2Bheater

Rheem's website lists them as commercial and not residential.

Ummmm there is no law stating you can't install a commercial water heater in a residential house.....technically.......

I manage some big houses and even those don't have an 85 gallon water heater....the one has a 65 gallon hybrid and is 8,000 sq feet and 7 bedroom/7bath house built in 2009.

I'm not spending $2,000 on a commercial water heater. Home Depot lists a 55 gallon, 12 year tank warranty Rheem for $680 that has the same 71 gallon FHR that our old one has. They just can't get for over two weeks. This was supposed to be a nice easy 1 hour project. Maybe only one trip to the hardware store.

I hate plumbing......famous last words.....every plumbing job I do that I expect to be a 1 hour 1 trip job turns into 5 trips and all day!!!!

Try some local plumbing supply houses in your area on Monday, someone is bound to have one.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
https://gemaire.com/rheem-6551...wire-proe55t2-655154

Seven of these in stock in Fort Myers.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
https://gemaire.com/rheem-6551...wire-proe55t2-655154

Seven of these in stock in Fort Myers.

Thank you. I will call them tomorrow. When I tried to register on their website it said it takes 2 days for them to approve it. Looks like they are wholesalers.

Posts: 10899 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I manage two wholesale plumbing supply houses and am familiar with the rule you're discussing.

The federal rule you are referring to is called "NECA" and it specifies minimum efficiencies for the heaters. The 80 gallon heaters have been discontinued because they cannot fit the heater technology and insulation into the required footprint.

I would suggest a 50 gal heater and a booster. The booster effectively gives you the yield of an 80 gal heater with a 50. If your plumber doesn't know about the booster, I'll get you part #'s.

Posts: 102 | Location: Southwest Fl | Registered: January 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Well, fuck me. Next the Feds will be telling us what kind of light bulbs we can buy. Wink

Sorry for your troubles, but blame the EPA and Congress.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20317 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Well, fuck me.
How about a photo, if it's not too much trouble?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30633 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Well, fuck me.

Ew.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Well, fuck me.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10924 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vulrath:
Your image is not showing. Just a "place holder" icon.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30633 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Here yo go. Saving people money since 1987. Of course, they don’t mention the unintended consequences of increased equipment pricing due to the BS regulations.

National Appliance Energy Conservation Act
The National Appliance Energy Conservation Act of 1987 (NAjECA; Pub.L. 100–12, 101 Stat. 103, enacted March 17, 1987) is a United States Act of Congress that regulates energy consumption of specific household appliances. Though minimum Energy Efficiency Standards were first established by the United States Congress in Part B of Title III of the Energy Policy and Conservation Act (EPCA), those standards were then amended by the National Appliance Energy Conservation Act of 1987, the Energy Policy Act of 1992 and the Energy Policy Act of 2005.[1]

All of these laws and regulations have to do with creating mandatory standards that deal with the energy efficiency of certain household appliances. These standards were put in place to ensure that manufacturers were building products that are at the maximum energy efficiency levels are that are technically feasible and economically justified.[2]

Since these standards have gone into effect they have positively affected both the American economy and the environment. Americans who have purchased these appliances have been saving money on their electricity bills every year. It is estimated that these savings have been greater than $300 billion over time. This money is then reinvested into the economy where is estimated to support over 300,000 American jobs. The majority of American electricity production is from fossil fuels, so by reducing electricity loads less fossil fuels have to be burned. This results in fewer pollutants from being emitted in the process, such as carbon dioxide.[3]

History

The National Appliance Energy Conservation Act of 1975 (NAECA) was enacted to help create uniform appliance efficiency standards at a time when individual states were creating their own standards.[4] The NAECA established a conservation program for major household appliances, however no real standards came into existence until the 1980s when appliance manufacturers realized it was easier to conform to a uniform federal standard then individual state standards.[4]

The National Appliance Energy Conservation Act of 1987 amended the Energy Policy and Conservation Act and was introduced and supported by democratic Senator Bennett Johnston, Jr. from Louisiana in January 1987.[5] The new amendments to the act established minimum efficiency standards for many household appliances, including:[4]

Refrigerators
Refrigerator-Freezers
Freezers
Room Air Conditioner
Fluorescent Lamp Ballasts
Incandescent Reflector Lamps
Clothes Dryers
Clothes Washers
Dishwashers
Kitchen Ranges and Ovens
Pool Heaters
Television Sets (withdrawn in 1995)
Water Heaters
Congress set the initial efficiency standards at the start of the act then set a schedule for the United States Department of Energy to review them.[4] The act also put into place laws prohibiting manufacturers from making any representations about the energy efficiency of any product on this list without first being tested by Federal testing procedure, and disclosing the results of such tests.[5] Lastly the new act set new rules for when state regulations will be superseded by federal regulations in regard to testing and labeling requirements, and energy conservation standards.[5]

Link

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
quote:
quote:
Well, fuck me.

That's photoshopped!!! I don't have any tattoos.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20317 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Imgur (my hosting site) is apparently down for maintenance.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

based on the last picture in this thread, that's probably a good thing.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Alright, let's try this again.

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
When I go I vacation, I turn my water heater off at the breaker.

My energy consumption in the house goes down from $8 a day to $1.50 a day. A large portion of that is the water heater. Those things are energy hogs.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post