SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Grammer rant. What is wrong with simple past-tense?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grammer rant. What is wrong with simple past-tense? Login/Join 
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted
Growing up in the south, I used to think it was just a product of "my" people. However, here in the intermountain west, there is a certain demographic that seems unable to use the past-simple tense correctly.

At work, I very rarely hear somebody say "I saw him yesterday." It is always "I seen him yesterday." Why would anybody use the past-participle of "to see" without the helping verb? It is being used as past-simple, so why use "seen"?

There is a difference. The simple-past indicates that a singular event happened in the past. You saw somebody yesterday. One time. "I saw Avengers: End Game yesterday." You use the past participle when you want to indicate past-perfect, or that something happened at an undetermined time in the past. "Have you seen this movie?" "Yes, I have seen it before." Or if you wish to denote something in the past that continues into the present. "Did you see that cool truck?" "Yes, I have seen it around town from time to time."

I can understand people who like to use a subject pronoun instead of an object. "Would you like to go to dinner with Marge and I?" I think people believe this incorrect usage makes them sound sophisticated. But using the past participle instead of the simple past will never make you sound classy.

It's starting to wear on me because I been hearing it all day, everyday. Wink

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Grammear rant. What is wrong with simple past-tense?

Grammar Nazi, meet Spelling Nazi! Razz

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Can you borrow me some money? I seen you had some.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How do you feel about use versus usage? Smile

Seems to be all the rage lately.

Posts: 1121 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Grammear rant. What is wrong with simple past-tense?

Grammar Nazi, meet Spelling Nazi! Razz

What? My spell check is broken?? How did I ever make it through college on a typewriter? Spellcheck makes it difficult to even try sometimes.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
I have seen a lot of things for sell instead of for sale.

I also don't understand why some people stand on line instead of in line. Everybody likes to shop online.

One thing my non southern ears have noticed here in Georgia is there seems to be a disconnect on when to use is instead of are. That said, it seems like that one is spreading to other parts too.

Deteriorating educations?

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
A business traveler arrived at Boston's Logan airport. He had to rush to make his flight, missed lunch, and was hungry. He had heard about a Boston favorite fish meal that he wanted to try, so he got into a taxi to go to a restaurant and said, "Take me to a good place to get scrod."

The cab driver, who was a Harvard student working part time to pick up some extra money, replied, "I have had that request many times, but never in the past pluperfect subjunctive."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
Also the use of "done" instead of "did". "I seen that he done it."

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I think it may be ignorance. Their parents probably never corrected them when they were using word incorrectly. My boys are 7 & 8, so I get plenty of practice in correcting them. My boys will not grow up to sound like neanderthals, but it's a constant struggle.

The current issue is "much" versus "many". For some reason they constantly use much, when they should use many. It does get tiring constantly correcting them.

Posts: 5733 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The current issue is "much" versus "many". For some reason they constantly use much, when they should use many. It does get tiring constantly correcting them.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Believe me it is worth the effort. I mentally subtract twenty IQ points for improper grammar. Speaking clearly and distinctly helps as well.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
At work, I very rarely hear somebody say "I saw him yesterday." It is always "I seen him yesterday."

One of my best friends does this. I once tried to tell him it's incorrect usage. He wouldn't hear it. One of these days I'll marshal my arguments, from authoritative sources, of course, and try again Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

"I seen him yesterday."

That just sounds so lower-class and uneducated to me whenever I hear it.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

"I seen him yesterday."

That just sounds so lower-class and uneducated to me whenever I hear it.

Exactly. I can't stand it. I also hate "I had sent him a text." It's "I sent him a text." Sometimes the had is appropriate but not every time you use a past tense verb.

Posts: 1512 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The one that rustles my jimmies is the use of “bring” where “take” is appropriate.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
smack em in the head, that should learn em.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I work in a mostly blue-collar environment where this is very much the norm. At a certain point I gave up trying to subtly inject correct grammar, it was an effort in futility and only served to garner some strange looks. I mostly just grin and bear it, but yes, I subtract points for it.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guys, grammer is a losing battle. Similar to table manners and basic consideration for others. No one under 50 seems to get it.

Posts: 563 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: February 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
My wife apparently was highly impressed when, on meeting my mother for the first time, I did not correct her when she said "I seen...". Nor did I complain or make excuses later.
Some things are more important than grammar. Wink

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Inusuit:
Guys, grammer is a losing battle. Similar to table manners and basic consideration for others. No one under 50 seems to get it.

Grammer:

Grammar:

Razz

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its worse when people use a double negative. Happens more often around here.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post