SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Grammer rant. What is wrong with simple past-tense?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grammer rant. What is wrong with simple past-tense? Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
Its worse when people use a double negative. Happens more often around here.
Nope, that don’t bother me none.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's starting to wear on me because I ('ve or have) been hearing it all day, everyday.

Wink

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
It amazes me how so many of you are able to properly (as far as I can tell) label the grammar items that are being discussed.

Do you mentally draw out the lines going from the words in your sentences and then label them to make the diagrams like I saw in grade school? Seems like it would be exhausting.

Maybe I should be able to as well, but I've forgotten all about what to call most grammar items as they appear.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
quote:
It's starting to wear on me because I ('ve or have) been hearing it all day, everyday.

Wink

You did notice that I had already included the winky, indicating the irony of my final sentence, right? I now have a double winky, and a huge grin. Big Grin

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Oops, posting before coffee.

Aye scene watt ewe did their. Big Grin

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:

It can't be not as bad as when people forget not to use the triple negative. That almost never fails not to amuse.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
It's the darned misuse of hyphens that gets me.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
My favorite grammar joke:

A kid from Montana gets accepted to Harvard. His first week out there, he's looking around the campus trying to find places and he walks up to what appears to be an upperclassman and asks, "Excuse me, could you tell me where the library is at?"

The upperclassman looks down his nose at the freshman and says, "Here at Harvard, we don't end our sentences in a preposition."

The Montana kid thinks for a second and says, "OK then, can you tell me where the library is at, asshole?"

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harvard student:

"Here at Harvard, we don't end our sentences in a preposition."

Isn't that a prepositional phrase?

Yankees... sheesh. Razz

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Nope, that don’t bother me none.

Don't make me no never mind.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What bugs me recently is the confusion about, “Me, myself, and I.”

“Myself and Joe went to the scene.”

No. “Joe and I.”

“She said she saw him and I.”

No. “Him and me.”

I hear and read the “myself” one a lot. I don’t know why. It’s reflexive...something does to oneself. “I scratched myself on the arm,” not, “She and myself drove to the store.”

Oy.

Posts: 385 | Registered: November 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Guy:
“myself”

Person1: "Hey, how are you today?"

Person2: "Fine, and yourself?"

Grrrrr....

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post