SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    POTUS's travel expenses
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

POTUS's travel expenses Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
According to Judicial Watch, The Verdict, December 2018, Volume 24/issue 12, pp. 15-17,

President Trump has spent $17,224,938.46 on travel from December 22, 2017-
April 28, 2018.

JW sets President & Michelle Obama's total travel expenses at $114,691,322.17.

Tom Fitton, JW President comments, "Presidential travel is too expensive, and in particular, taxpayers subsidize too much of the bill for presidential campaign travel."

Posts: 15842 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would be interesting to see how the expenses are allocated. What is an hour of one SS Agent's time billed at? Do they get special hotel rates - or pay the premium?

I am sure a half-competent auditor could reduce those incurred costs significantly if given the opportunity.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I doubt those figures take into account the OT required by whatever local jurisdictions he's visiting. Those figures also seem low to me given what Presidential travel entails.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Hmmm..... Why does it cost so much in the first place?

Here are a few crazy folks that might have shared a clue.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
You know what? I’m ok with it. The way this president has been attacked in every conceivable way, and even as a candidate on the campaign, had a British national with a Glock in the crowd not far from the dais he was speaking from. Bet your ass there’s some black hats out there planning or thinking about taking a poke at this POTUS. I say protect him, and yeah, it’s going to be expensive. The best security in the world doesn’t come cheap.

Posts: 17057 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2018 Budget- $4,094,000,000,000

Presidential Travel Costs= $17,224,938

That's a lot of math but the cost of Presidential Travel is what .0005% of the budget?

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Do we want the President protected or not? If so, it’s not gonna be cheap. I couldn’t care less about the price.

If you want an omelet you gotta crack some eggs.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
That's a whole whole lot less then the jet load of several pallets cash the obama quietly sent to the terrorists in Iran.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Do we want the President protected or not? If so, it’s not gonna be cheap. I couldn’t care less about the price.

If you want an omelet you gotta crack some eggs.

Yep. Even as much as I disliked BHO I still want the holder of the office of POTUS to be protected no matter who it is or how much it costs.

Guess what, due to this weird little thing called inflation, it costs more every single day to protect the office.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
What is the hourly/mileage cost of flying the presidential jet? Those jumbo jets are not cheap to operate.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Air Force 1 hourly cost estimated at $143K - $206K.

https://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik....force-one-1794933207

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Is it just my aging memory, or did the obummers spend a lot of time flying separately? As in 2 aircraft from DC to Hawaii, for example.

I seem to recall that she flew to Hawaii on a separate aircraft with some of her friends, etc etc.

And as already posted, what about those pallet loads of US dollars to our avowed enemies.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
JW sets President & Michelle Obama's total travel expenses at $114,691,322.17.

That was at least 50% wasted - the return half. Wink

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I agree the president must be protected regardless of cost.... But the point is valid. For campaign trips? Maybe those need to be kept to a minimum knowing the cost to taxpayers and you are not on official business?

Not to mention the cost and burden on the local area he is going. All that extra police resources, traffic, tying up the airport, etc.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

For campaign trips? Maybe those need to be kept to a minimum knowing the cost to taxpayers and you are not on official business?
Should be paid for by the political party.

Of course there would be claims of "official business," so this would be difficult to administer.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
I doubt those figures take into account the OT required by whatever local jurisdictions he's visiting.

Doesn't matter. they are never reimbursed to those departments. Most times my people were used for road blockages when the motorcade traveled from Newark Airport to NYC. Every overpass and intersection was controlled. Takes a lot of people The times they hold events in the town or nearby people are also assigned. It's on the city and state to cover.

I doub5t if many realize how much is involved in moving the President. For years we were the staging point for their communications people. The ultra high tech van and their people stayed in our town. That travelled on a C130 to the site.

As far as I know any trips involving campaigning are covered by the party itself. at least some of it as they always try to make it seem there is some official business conducted.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Hmmm..... Why does it cost so much in the first place?

Here are a few crazy folks that might have shared a clue.

Squeaky! What a babe.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High standards,
low expectations
Picture of Surefire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
That's a whole whole lot less then the jet load of several pallets cash the obama quietly sent to the terrorists in Iran.

As ridiculous as the Iran deal was, that was technically their money from an arms deal pre-Iranian revolution. But you knew that....

The reward for hard work, is more hard work arcwelder76, 2013

Posts: 5252 | Location: Edmonton AB, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post