SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Used car shopping....GRRRR!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Used car shopping....GRRRR! Login/Join 
posted
Why can't people put a description along with some pictures? Not only private sellers, but dealers too. Find a decent car with nothing listed. Called about one yesterday and was told it looks like it was sideswiped. No pictures. The Carfax was clean, no accidents listed. A simple picture or even a description would have saved us both time. This was at a dealer no less. Then private sales, it looks like a scam. "I have a car for sale." No shit Sherlock! How about a description. Check engine light on? Bald tires? Fender falling off?

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
And IF you find a seller that hasn't done a lazy shitass job of posting the ad, they think their car is more special than Doc Brown's time machine, or people are willing to pay for mods they don't want. "I put like 10K into her and I'm gonna need to get that back!" Yeah good luck with that.

Good luck to you. Buying a car is ALWAYS a royal bitch, but hang in there, don't settle. Be bloody, bold, and resolute!

Posts: 5134 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
LNIB. Never fired. Only dropped once.

Razz

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carmax or rental sales. Nothing else is worth your time.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why can't people put a description along with some pictures?

Because they want to get you in the door.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of good used car websites like autotrader, carguru and a few others. Most have filters so you can narrow your search down to specific vehicles and adds with pictures. Some adds cost money and there's usually a limit to the number of words per add so you might not get the most detailed description

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Carmax or rental sales. Nothing else is worth your time.
I Looking for an Edge, I found a good deal at a large local Ford dealer.

I had the foresight to pay my independent mechanic (known to be A Good Guy, as he favors .357 SIG for his P229s) to do a "pre-marital" inspection. Paid him $95.00 for his time. He found a leak in the power steering fluid cooler, and a cracked transmission mount as well as a couple other things. The Ford dealer agreed to rectify all problems prior to delivery.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnnyD
posted Hide Post
vast.com auto listings has a very good search/sort feature.

-----------------------------------

USAF/ANG Retired

Posts: 782 | Location: Garland, (Zombieland) TX. | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyD:

Is that consumer-facing, or dealers only? I can't find a search tool that I can run.

eta - here it is. Not at Vast.com

http://autos.vast.com/cars

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:

Is that consumer-facing, or dealers only? I can't find a search tool that I can run.

That site is awful.

Do a search and then click on the vehicle you like and it takes you to a completely different car site search and the vehicle is not even listed at that site.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:

That site is awful.

Do a search and then click on the vehicle you like and it takes you to a completely different car site search and the vehicle is not even listed at that site.

Agree - at the risk of hijacking the OP thread, this is most certainly not a well developed tool for buyer search. Sort of a clearing house I guess, but I think there are some dupes as well.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Craigslist and Autotrader. There are some free sites that let you monitor and receive alerts when certain craigslist ad items are posted as well. Popular stuff disappears quickly, so sometimes one needs to call and investigate quickly as well. Still, for used cars it's a game of screening and searching, then still looking at a dozen cars to find one worth buying.

Posts: 2366 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Carfax was clean, no accidents listed.

Carfax only has what is reported. I had a Land Rover that was a piece of junk. New transmission at 40,000 & new engine at 52,000. Carfax reported neither item as the Land Rover Dealer does not report repairs to Carfax.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
quote:

Carfax only has what is reported. I had a Land Rover that was a piece of junk. New transmission at 40,000 & new engine at 52,000. Carfax reported neither item as the Land Rover Dealer does not report repairs to Carfax.

If a Land Rover dealer reported all his repairs to Carfax, he wouldn't have time for anything else .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I bought an 8-year old Honda Odyssey at a Honda dealer, found on cars.com; after looking up the Carfax (probably paid for it myself) and having seen that it was serviced regularly at that dealer. Now, Odysseys are more likely to be babied than hooned, but this one was really nice. Obviously had been garaged its entire (California) life.

So Carfax is a start, but yes can be inaccurate if accidents not reported.

Posts: 18064 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
quote:

If a Land Rover dealer reported all his repairs to Carfax, he wouldn't have time for anything else .

And people might figure out what utter junk they are.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Car forums are just as bad sometimes. Someone asking $43k for a car with no pictures and no contact information with only a few sparse details like color and mileage.

Use the lazy way by saying, "e-mail for pictures" and not even bothering saying whether it's standard or auto trans, trim level, etc...

Then you have those who are "testing the waters..."

So glad that shit isn't allowed here. You selling your shit or not?

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MitchbSC:
LNIB. Never fired. Only dropped once.

Razz

ARVN surplus?

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post