SIGforum
People who lollygag at traffic lights

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/8370050344

June 13, 2018, 07:53 PM
arfmel
People who lollygag at traffic lights
What is it with people who shilly-shally around when there’s a long line of vehicles behind them at a traffic signal? I’m not talking about looking both ways before proceeding when the light turns green. I’m talking about the woolgathering asswipe who is number two or three in line and just can’t be bothered to step the hell on the gas and move out so a few other unfortunate commuters can also get through the light before it turns red again. I hope those clueless, self centered, inconsiderate jackasses step in used chewing gum on their way into the Kwik-Gyp. And I mean it.
June 13, 2018, 08:03 PM
ArtieS
People who do not get up on it and execute at traffic lights, particularly left turns at traffic lights, deserve to have starving weasels stuffed down their pants.

[Peter Ustinov]Sudden, instant and even immediate death![/Peter Ustinov]

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.
June 13, 2018, 08:15 PM
Palm
Most of the time it's people who are on their phone waiting for the light to change, but don't actually pay attention to when the light changes.
June 13, 2018, 08:46 PM
Pale Horse
If I am more than 3 or 4 cars back from the light I honk my horn as soon as the light turns green. Just a gentle tap, nothing too obnoxious, but it seems to do the trick. I am sure somebody in line is all pissed off about it but I am just trying to alert anyone with their head stuck in a phone that it is time to start paying attention.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014
June 13, 2018, 09:36 PM
Orguss
I have a bad habit of letting off the brake at the same time as the vehicle in front of the one directly ahead of me. A few times, I have had to hit the brakes from simply coasting too close to a lagger.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
June 13, 2018, 09:39 PM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
If I am more than 3 or 4 cars back from the light I honk my horn as soon as the light turns green. Just a gentle tap, nothing too obnoxious, but it seems to do the trick. I am sure somebody in line is all pissed off about it but I am just trying to alert anyone with their head stuck in a phone that it is time to start paying attention.
If I can actually see that the non-mover is busy with a phone, there is noting subtle or polite about the way I use my horn.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
June 13, 2018, 10:39 PM
rburg
If its proper to use your horn, its also proper to keep it blowing until the jerk moves. No toot, toot, but a loud and constant blaring. They have offended and need to be embarrassed over their conduct. Yes, anyone held up by them sleeping, yacking or whatever is the proper person to call them out.

Unhappy ammo seeker
June 14, 2018, 01:36 AM
Sgt Neutron
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
If its proper to use your horn, its also proper to keep it blowing until the jerk moves. No toot, toot, but a loud and constant blaring. They have offended and need to be embarrassed over their conduct. Yes, anyone held up by them sleeping, yacking or whatever is the proper person to call them out.

http://realtrainhorns.net/shop...oduct&product_id=164

Pricey, but WILL get peoples attention. You may need to put on some haring protection before hitting the button.
June 14, 2018, 06:34 AM
trapper189
I'll see arfmel's point about not getting started and raise it those people that hit the brakes mid-turn. It never fails, the person in front of me finally decides to go; I'm making a nice, smooth turn while accelerating; and right at mid-turn the person in front of me hits the brakes. What are they thinking? Is it, "Oh no, oh no, OH NO, I'm going a whole 10-15 mph and turning, IT'S TOO FAST, I MUST HIT THE BRAKES!"?
June 14, 2018, 06:34 AM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:

http://realtrainhorns.net/shop...oduct&product_id=164

Pricey, but WILL get peoples attention. You may need to put on some haring protection before hitting the button.
Costs more than my car, but worth it!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
June 14, 2018, 07:17 AM
bobandmikako
I'm pretty patient nowadays but will lay on the horn if there's someone holding up traffic because they're babbling on their phone or texting.

十人十色
June 14, 2018, 07:27 AM
parabellum
They're looking at a whole bunch of nothing on their precious little phone.

In the Spring and Fall, when people's car windows are open, I sometimes ask people if they want a nipple to put on their phone.

They act like a baby with their bottle, so all they're missing is the nipple for it.

I have no tolerance for this shit and I will lay down on my horn when they pull this rude, stupid shit. I have no patience with dullards. These idiots, incessantly staring at their phones in a trance-like gaze are everywhere and I have no tolerance for them.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023
June 14, 2018, 07:50 AM
V-Tail
My Garmin GPS emits an annoying little chirp when traffic in front of me starts moving after the light turns green.

Of course if I'm the first in line at a traffic light, that doesn't happen.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
June 14, 2018, 09:38 PM
Prefontaine
Swap out factory horns with Hellas.

https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-0...keywords=hella+horns

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone
June 14, 2018, 09:41 PM
Pale Horse
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
If I can actually see that the non-mover is busy with a phone, there is noting subtle or polite about the way I use my horn.

Same here if I see it.

But I don't wait to see anyone looking down or not moving. I launch a preemptive strike before it becomes an issue.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014
June 15, 2018, 07:58 AM
Shaql
I got 2:

First is the guy in front of you that requires about 20 car lengths before they'll actually turn causing you to get stuck at the light.

Second is the guy who'll approach the light at 10 miles an hour under the limit and then gun it through a yellow, leaving you stranded yet again.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.
June 15, 2018, 02:58 PM
BrianC
I hate the ones who approach traffic lights with the mortal dread that they stay green.

"Television is called a medium because nothing on it is well done." -- Fred Allen
June 15, 2018, 03:15 PM
RHINOWSO
I add more Horn, because they are all making love to their phones and acting like the next Facebook / Instagram / whatever post is going to complete their lives.
June 15, 2018, 04:48 PM
PHPaul
quote:
Originally posted by OMCHamlin:
Fundamentally, it's because people are just STUPID, and Darwin is too damn backed up to get to them...

That may be the most succinct explanation of the problem that I've ever seen. Bravo.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
June 16, 2018, 02:51 PM
kz1000
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:

Exactamundo.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris