SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I've been going through a LOT of rat poison
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I've been going through a LOT of rat poison Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
So I got curious why I wasn't finding any dead rats around.

Mystery solved:

Mr. Mouse nibbles at it.

King Rat helps himself.

But Mr. Coon is getting the bulk of it.

Can a coon eat enough rat poison to do himself in? I suspect not.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Well, it sure can’t be doing him any favors.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yes it can kill a coon, dogs too. If you want to do him in, put 4-6 of the ‘chunk bait’ type poison out. Of course make sure a pet won’t get into it.

I doubt you need to go to the ‘fly-bait’ level for coon control. That’s a Coke/fly-bait mix deadly to coons.

Posts: 6130 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I'm actually not that concerned about the coon, but the rats have got to go.

I'm aware of the Golden Malrin Solution tho.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hire the coon to kill the rats. They work for garbage.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
There is probably a melted raccoon porta potty somewhere and they are teasing him about what he ate. Smile

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
Cleanup on aisle 1.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1321 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
They say it is poisonous to humans so I'm guessing it will eventually do him in.

I've never had much success with poison but I can tell you I have caught a lot of big ass rats in the barn with a spring trap. I bought this one at our local farm and garden store.

It will also snag that coon...just bring your .22 with you when you go and check it.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get one of the battery operated rat traps at Lowe's. They look like a smaller version of a rat trap, take 6 C batteries, and kill rats that walk into them to eat the peanut butter at the end, deader than dead, then you just tip the mailbox over a trash can and off they go.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Rat poison causes internal hemorrhage.
Slowly killing the coon.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Get one of the battery operated rat traps at Lowe's. They look like a smaller version of a rat trap, take 6 C batteries, and kill rats that walk into them to eat the peanut butter at the end, deader than dead, then you just tip the mailbox over a trash can and off they go.

Yep, have used them with much success. Check it daily, dump the bodies and wipe away any mess from the shock plate.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
The problem often with this type of eradication is you are feeding an unlimited supply, not just one critter but a lot. Think about it.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Rat poison is warfarin- otherwise known as Coumadin. Potent anticoagulant.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
Find another way if possible , these poisons are hell on Raptors and owls.

https://www.audubon.org/magazi...l-rodents-have-safer

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Will glue traps work on rats?
Before kitties entered my domain, they did a great job on mice.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Will glue traps work on rats?
Before kitties entered my domain, they did a great job on mice.

Yes. Get the oversized traps.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thats a great article you linked Liner with one exception: they don't spell out rat poison what to use. They only spew what not to use. I tried the spinning wheel/5 gallon bucket thing and the rats avoid it and my peanut butter. I get a bucket of rat poison at the local farm store, no idea if it's gen 1 or gen 2. It's almost time to buy more, I'll read the ingredients.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Buy This:
Vermin Killer

I did earlier in the year and it has laid waste to all comers.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
Buy This:
Vermin Killer

I did earlier in the year and it has laid waste to all comers.

I don't know what a bucket of bait cost me, and I'd be willing to change so as not to screw up the wildlife. I mean, if owls are dying so I can kill mice, that would be wrong. Haven't seen any other dead animals yet, so hard to say if there is any side effect. But that A24 costs $170 on Amazon, $199 if you get the counter. Not sure what good the counter would do as you can count them yourself - they'll lay right there. Is there a cheaper version?

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
But that A24 costs $170 on Amazon, $199 if you get the counter. Not sure what good the counter would do as you can count them yourself - they'll lay right there. Is there a cheaper version?

No cheaper version. You'll want the counter. I set up my trail cam by the trap because the counter showed strikes, but no bodies. A possum was taking some, and a damn red tail hawk took the rest! The thing truly is awesome.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post