SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    New buzzword for the "journalists"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New buzzword for the "journalists" Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
"Long gun".

It makes them sound smart. It seems that they know what they are talking about with regard to weapons when they say the words "long gun".

Roll Eyes

I need to blow up my TV and plant a little garden.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Since they've never seen one before, it makes them feel manly when they say it.

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think many believe that a “long gun” must be really big, powerful, etc.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think many believe that a “long gun” must be really big, powerful, etc.

Come on. It is a lot better than ASSAULT RIFLE.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
Has the resident network firearms expert gone on tv to explain exactly what a long gun is yet?
And how it is way worse than anything we could imagine.
Roll Eyes

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Waiting for them to contrast with short guns. And what will they call SBRs?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I first ran across the term “long gun” probably 25 plus years ago from a British source (SAS?). Then it was a clear way of distinguishing a rifle or shotgun, but which type might not be readily identifiable, from a handgun. It was later adopted, I believe, by US police forces for the same reason: a quick way of saying a suspect had a gun that wasn’t a handgun, but without getting wrapped up in distinctions that might not be known based on a quick corner peek.

I don’t pay much attention to what employees of the BS media say these days, but if it’s the term du jour, it could be that they’ve just discovered it and it’s now on the cutting edge of journalistic sophistication.

On the other hand, if I were looking for nefarious motives in every possible word used by those slimesticks, perhaps it occurred to them that now that mass murderers are starting to use shotguns more often it’s a good way of deflecting attention away from the fact that shotguns have long been considered the only “acceptable” guns. If they started directing their propaganda against shotguns by name, it might cause a few of their clueless owners to realize that it’s not just evil weapons of war that the left wants to ban. “Oh, don’t worry, Joe, they’re only going after long guns; my shotguns are safe.”

Also, of course, if they call a shotgun a “long gun,” other clueless individuals will simply assume that they’re referring to an assault rifle.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Maybe they will call for limits on long guns and say; "No one needs a rifle longer than 16 inches!!! Limit all rifles to 16 inches or less!!! For the chirrenz!!!"

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love it on Chicago PD when Hank Voight says, "Get da long guns!"

Fuck the media.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
High power rifle

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
I love it on Chicago PD when Hank Voight says, "Get da long guns!"

Fuck the media.

Hank is the only guy on that show besides the guy they just killed off that shows any semblance to reality when it comes to police shows.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
Hank is the only guy . . . that shows any semblance to reality when it comes to police shows.
Don't forget about Sipowicz!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Waiting for them to contrast with short guns. And what will they call SBRs?

Unfilled potential?

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Hank is the only guy . . . that shows any semblance to reality when it comes to police shows.

Lol!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have mentioned this here before, but during an interview on tv, I heard Dan Rather ask Greg Allmon about the incident where he shot himself in the foot so he would not be drafted during Nam.

He asked Greg if he used a rifle or a shotgun.
How funny and stupid.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
He asked Greg if he used a rifle or a shotgun.
How funny and stupid.

You would think that since Rather is from Texas he would have some idea. He always had that folksy Texas proverb dropped into the national newscast.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
So are black long guns longer than regular long guns, or is that just a myth?

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
So are black long guns longer than regular long guns, or is that just a myth?

Big Grin

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

You are correct and I did. I forgot about Andy. Hank is now number 2

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
"Long gun".

It makes them sound smart. It seems that they know what they are talking about with regard to weapons when they say the words "long gun".

Roll Eyes

I need to blow up my TV and plant a little garden.

Gus, apparently I’m the first to get your reference.

Try to find Jesus
On your own

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post