SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    USPS “Carrier unable to gain access to front door.” UPDATE #2
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USPS “Carrier unable to gain access to front door.” UPDATE #2 Login/Join 
Too old to grow up now
Picture of George85019
posted Hide Post
Update: contacted Amazon, all packages will be delivered other than USPS till Prime expires in March. Took down mailbox, it’s in the trash. Opened PO BOX. I guess if I were a drinker I’d be giving myself a case of beer (gift card, but case of beer sounds so much cooler!)every year.
Hey, maybe this will catch on. Won’t need all those carriers, save a ton of $$$$$$!
I feel so much better!
Any other packages being delivered I will request anyone but USPS!
Keep up the good work! I would never have done this without it!

NO SIGnature

Posts: 2050 | Location: London, OH | Registered: January 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Just an FYI, USPS scanners have GPS capability. If you believe your carrier is fraudulently scanning a package, you can find out EXACTLY where it was scanned. As well as who scanned it. And what time it was scanned. I can almost guarantee it is not your carrier doing this.

I've said this before, as a carrier, you do not want to take anything back to the office, the goal throughout the day is to get things off your truck, not haul them around all day. Before you blame the carrier, get the facts. We are now told to scan every package AT THE DOOR, so it shows not only the time of delivery, but the location as well.

I don't ever recall seeing a "carrier unable to gain access to front door" attempt, but it could be a regional thing. But given the OP mentions USPS in one sentence, then UPS in the next, I believe he just might be getting delivery services mixed up. You will not see a USPS carrier just driving around delivering packages, without delivering mail as well, unless it's on a Sunday. They would be in a marked USPS truck. Amazon contractors use their own vehicles, so that might been one of their drivers.

Now throw in the mix about "smart post", as it is now being delivered by Fed Ex, UPS, and USPS. Whoever has the contract for that area.

Happy Holidays, SigForum!

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to grow up now
Picture of George85019
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
Just an FYI, USPS scanners have GPS capability. If you believe your carrier is fraudulently scanning a package, you can find out EXACTLY where it was scanned. As well as who scanned it. And what time it was scanned. I can ALMOST guarantee it is not your carrier doing this.

I've said this before, as a carrier, you do not want to take anything back to the office, the goal throughout the day is to get things off your truck, not haul them around all day. Before you blame the carrier, get the facts. We are now told to scan every package AT THE DOOR, so it shows not only the time of delivery, but the location as well.

I don't ever recall seeing a "carrier unable to gain access to front door" attempt, but it could be a regional thing. But given the OP mentions USPS in one sentence, then UPS in the next, I believe he just might be getting delivery services mixed up. You will not see a USPS carrier just driving around delivering packages, without delivering mail as well, unless it's on a Sunday. They would be in a marked USPS truck. Amazon contractors use their own vehicles, so that might been one of their drivers.

Now throw in the mix about "smart post", as it is now being delivered by Fed Ex, UPS, and USPS. Whoever has the contract for that area.

Happy Holidays, SigForum!

Oh no, in my case our regular carrier is off work, it is the sub that is screwing us over. Is she temp help? I don’t know. I spoke with the supervisors at USPS. She was reprimanded. Lost packages continued same day. Package delivered that wasn’t. Unable to access door exceptions. No sir you are wrong, this person is totally incompetent, a liar, a thief, or someone who tosses mail off the truck. If you go online to my local PO and read the reviews you will see it gets a 1.6 star rating. I tried to resolve this problem and get this person back on track. That had zero effect, things got worse, much worse fast. I’m not the only one. But for the sake of argument, OK, i’ll Be the bad guy here. Ok,it’s my fault. But, I have fixed the problem. I use USPS and UPS online tracking, and have a tracking app that tracks all. You can try to deflect this off onto the Op or myself, or assume as another member who is a carrier did, that we are imbeciles. I’m done here with this post. As for me, USPS is just another mismanaged snafu, and a black hole for tax dollars, as are most gov agencies. I posted here to vent, I did, mission accomplished!
Have a wonderful Christmas!

NO SIGnature

Posts: 2050 | Location: London, OH | Registered: January 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our rural carrier just reached retirement age is is submitting his paperwork. Along with the Post Master and many other's. He said they have all had it with upper management being "corrupt and devoid of any integrity."

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:

You need to read with attention to detail. Go back and find “UPS” anywhere.

The “carrier unable to access the front door” line was given to myself and two neighbors. As for “USPS carrier just driving around...without delivering mail” that not true. We have people driving private cars, without USPS uniforms delivering USPS packages. Yes USPS packages.

In fact, I have a RING doorbell that recorded the long delayed delivery. Red car, blond female with glasses.

Were a “marked USPS truck” have stopped in front of my house to scan the package and code it “unable to access the front door” the camera would have recorded it.

BTW no contact from the Federal Way station that supposedly was to contact me.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
Not surprisingly, USP doesn’t make complaining easy. They give you a phone tree that does everything but report a problem. I tried calling the local post office, got another phone tree and then terminal ringing. I made an online complaint to the National USP then went down to physically talk to someone. After a wait, I got a supervisor.

Icabod, my apologies, you did say USP, not UPS. I'm just trying to provide insight from what I see dealing with this on a daily basis. I get packages at addresses all the time with notes that they don't belong there, and they aren't USPS packages. I know in several areas the "smart post" packages are being delivered by other services, even though it has a "USPS Delivery Confirmation" barcode. Around here it is FedEx delivering. I know SigForum members love "Smart Post". Big Grin Nobody goes to brick and mortar stores anymore, so all delivery services are getting a lot of business, especially during the Christmas season.

To even make matters worse, the interface between Amazon and USPS is questionable. When a USPS carrier scans a packaged "delivered to/at mailbox", Amazon sends a message to the recipient that the package was "delivered to the recipient". All this happens in real time, so when a customer gets a text they were just handed a package and aren't home, they get on the phone and complain almost immediately. We are told to carry our scanners with us at all times (it tracks us), and to scan every package at the recipient's address, not in your truck a few houses away. So maybe that is why your text from Amazon mentioned "unable to gain access". I honestly can't answer that, this is kind of a new situation with Amazon.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but carriers leaving a notice, instead of delivering a package doesn't make sense. It takes longer to write up the notice, then it does to just deliver it, unless they are nowhere close to your address and the notice is delivered the next day. It's like taking your trash out on trash day, and right before the garbage truck pulls up, you bring your trash back to your house to deal with for the next week.

As I've mentioned before, if anyone feels a carrier is intentionally discarding packages, call the USPS Postal Inspectors, don't even waste your time with the local Postmaster. Or if you feel a package was fraudulently scanned, you can call your postmaster, and they can pull up the scan and the GPS location. It will have a User ID assigned to who scanned it.

Merry Christmas,
Smith

-----------------
I apologize now...

Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
USPS and FEDEX suck where I live in the Rocky Mountains. My mailbox is 1/2 mile from my house and the package box is very small. Packages are not delivered to my house at all and if they have any size at all I have to drive 15 miles to the post office to receive a package.

In fact, I am headed out the door right now to pick up a new electric blanket which I ordered from Walmart. FedEx delivered it to my post office 15 miles away instead of dropping it at my door.

FedEx is the most lame delivery here in the mountains. They will not deliver most of the time and beg off using weather as an excuse. The roads will be totally dry and good but the driver will say that the roads were treacherous. I have had many irate rants with FedEx over this issue.

But, back on topic, USPS sucks where I live.

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
My mailbox is 1/2 mile from my house

I'm not a rural carrier, but I used to work in an office that was mostly rural carriers. I'm pretty sure that 1/2 mile is the threshold for parcels for them.

In fact, most of the rants on here seem to be about rural carriers.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Seven,

Most of the rants seem to be about temp, substitute, or carriers unfamiliar with routes.

I can look at a last name on a package, know exactly where they live, the cars they drive, when/if they are home, and if their dog is an asshole. I don't even need to see the address, and I can find it in the dark if needed. Which has been pretty frequent lately.

I've been saying this forever, the USPS needs to put the "Service" back in United States Postal Service. Instead they are expecting 3 people to do the work of 4, trying to meet impossible arbitrary numbers because of impossible demands or expectations. I even told my wife I would take a pay cut, if I only had to work 8 hours a day. Do my job, and go home. Nope, I get forced overtime on routes I don't know, and I go well past their projected arbitrary numbers.

We start at 7:30, and there is no reason why we can't start at 7:00. It takes 30 minutes just to load our trucks this time of year, and it's just waiting there for us. We got issued headlamps last year. How come when the power goes out at any/every USPS facility, they shut down. Yet they expect carriers to work in the dark. And get shot. Or get in accidents. Or get hurt falling down steps.

Still love my job, but I'm over the hump...

-----------------
I apologize now...

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I have a USPS priority package that departed Hays, Kansas, on 12/3 and just arrived at North Houston distribution center today. WTF were they doing while it was marked "In transit to Next Facility" for 13 days?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23242 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
On the nextdoor app in our area, people complain regularly about how bad postal delivery has gotten, or claim their packages have been stolen.
It’s rampant and it annoys me because we live in a decent area with relatively low crime, but so many want to say it’s stealing, then a few days later “it turns up”, either at a neighbors, or it’s finally delivered.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5317 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mailed a Priority package to a friend who is in the service. Went 2,000 miles in two days for delivery. Excellent. Ordered stuff from a business 200 miles away, Priority Mail. On day 3 waiting on delivery.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post