SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    USPS “Carrier unable to gain access to front door.” UPDATE #2
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USPS “Carrier unable to gain access to front door.” UPDATE #2 Login/Join 
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted
Was expecting a new whetstone to be delivered from Amazon.
Just before dinner I check my mail. There’s a blurb from Amazon, sent at 6:24 PM.

“5:56 PM
USPS wasn't able to enter your building to deliver your package.
Please contact USPS with instructions to help them enter.”

Funny. It’s a flat 50 foot walk with two steps to get to the front door. There’s no “building” to enter.

Now, I know what you’re thinking, and I agree. The guy that was supposed to deliver but decided he’d rather go home. He just “wasn’t able” the rest of his packages. Who’s going to prove otherwise?

Have I told you how much I love my Ring doorbell? Here’s the “There is motion at your door” log.
5:26 car drives by on street.
5:56 car drives by on street.
6:06 car drives by on street.
6:09 ditto.

BTW, we were home and had to porch light on. Did I mention our alarm Corgis?

Tuesday, there will be an accounting.
UPDATE:
Not surprisingly, USP doesn’t make complaining easy. They give you a phone tree that does everything but report a problem. I tried calling the local post office, got another phone tree and then terminal ringing. I made an online complaint to the National USP then went down to physically talk to someone. After a wait, I got a supervisor. Showed him the documents and a photo of the front door. He excused himself as he didn’t work Monday. His explanation was they had called in carriers from some of the small towns and they may not have known the routes. The package,he was sure, had been left on the truck and was now out for delivery.
Last, I watched the counter operation. One bit was interesting. A staff person gave a package totne customer. “This was supposed to be in the yellow box. The guy doesn’t know what he’s doing.” No team loyalty.
update
Package was delivered 11 AM Wednesday. Small red car, and a in casual clothes. OK, I got it.
No surprise my two neighbors were also expecting packages and got the same error message.
Friday I get a reply to my complaint. They have decided that the complaint isn’t their responsibility. They’ll send it to another facility in Federal Way, about 13 miles away. So it’s back to waiting.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Icabod,

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I get this occasionally with my mailman. Usually when it's raining. Rather than getting out and walking the ten steps up to my covered porch, packages get marked "delivery location inaccessible" and held until the next day when the weather's nicer. Roll Eyes

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a great USPS delivery guy. He gets a case of his favorite beer from me at Christmas time.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
It's a contagious affliction, maybe even pandemic status.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to grow up now
Picture of George85019
posted Hide Post
Yep, I've got that from both USPS and UPS before. Either raining, or I guess too tired to walk to the porch. Who knows?
We have invisible fence, if the Golden Retriever is out they won't deliver. Our old UPS guy that retired would, he knew our dog was harmless. The regular USPS lady will deliver, but if she is off and the dog is out they pass us by. I try to keep her in if I'm expecting a delivery in the afternoon, or take her out on the leash for a walk with me.

NO SIGnature

Posts: 2050 | Location: London, OH | Registered: January 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Next thing you know, the mail will be in the closest dumpster.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George85019:
Yep, I've got that from both USPS and UPS before. Either raining, or I guess too tired to walk to the porch. Who knows?
We have invisible fence, if the Golden Retriever is out they won't deliver. Our old UPS guy that retired would, he knew our dog was harmless. The regular USPS lady will deliver, but if she is off and the dog is out they pass us by. I try to keep her in if I'm expecting a delivery in the afternoon, or take her out on the leash for a walk with me.

You can't blame them for that... You see a random dog are you going to get out?especially if it's a substitute mailman. You never know with dogs, especially with dogs you don't know. Too many bad dog owners out there. I have to say if I was a mailman I wouldnt get out either if there was a dog loose

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

So happy early on we caught and "trained" each of our various delivery services to leave packages by the garage door. It's invisible from the lightly travelled street (100 yards away, view blocked by a standby generator), plus we explained we hardly ever egress the front door, just use the garage doors.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
USPS delivery of an Amazon Prime package to me this fall.

I got the "delivered at front door" text around 5 PM.

I looked everywhere for it, it simply wasn't here and I had been home all day. Figured it got delivered to someone else and I'd go talk to them in the morning. This was an expensive package. Eek

~2 hours later the carrier shows up with it... what happened I ask?

The carrier said he had to turn in his scanner by 5PM every day, finished or not, so he just scans everything left not delivered at the time as being delivered. Wow!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4126 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
We rarely have the same mail person week after week.
One week it was a dude blaring Eazy E out of a portable speaker, the next some raggedy old lady, chain smoking. The nest cam picked her up dumping a cup of cigarette butts on our street, but it's not worth the time commitment to file a complaint.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
My complaint to USPS got a reply

“After careful review, we have determined the U.S. Postal Service Consumer and Industry Contact Office is the proper office to handle your concern. We have forwarded this inquiry to your local consumer affairs office for direct response to you.
Please direct all further inquiries to the office noted below. We have no further information to provide now that your concern has been forwarded.”

That was a week ago. Nothing yet.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
Next thing you know, the mail will be in the closest dumpster.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got the same message when USPS failed to deliver my Amazon package. It had been delayed in transit for several days and then they could not gain entrance when someone was there at the door all day.

I was directed to contact the post office about further delivery instructions. It finally showed up several days later.

Meanwhile at the main post office the lines are longer and there are fewer working employees.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One windy day I got tired of looking at a plastic bag caught in a tree in my wooded back yard. I went to take it down and on the way, found a small waterlogged package. With my name on it. In it were two Sig mags I had ordered 6 months earlier. The package had laid in the woods all winter, evidently after being blown from my porch. Could USPS dude have knocked and given me the package? Nah! How about lifting up my heavy rubber doormat and using it anchor the lightweight package on a windy day? Nah!
Bonus: Coming off like a real Jackass when I insisted to the vendor that my order was never sent or delivered. Thanks, USPS!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16066 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Could USPS dude have knocked and given me the package?

This is now considered a "Time wasting practice" and is therefore a fireable offence. I was hit on it during a route inspection a few years ago.
Never would have happened in the '80s. This is the direct result of running the Post Office like a business instead of a service.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to grow up now
Picture of George85019
posted Hide Post
Yep, I had a package I had to sign for, a 1766 Charleville Musket from Jedediah Star. 2 day so called Express Delivery via USPS. We were home all day waiting. Out in the country so you can't drive down our out of the way road that we don't know it. This item had to be signed for of course. Same thing happened on Nov 5th a Monday. Again, we were home and waiting. I didn't bother to file a complaint last time. This time I did, after waiting an hour to speak with a supervisor. I don't expect anything to come of it of course. I'm just out the money for Express shipping and screwed again. I told the guy I try to get things via UPS or FedEx for exactly this reason. Although I was getting UPS packages that were totally destroyed during the contract fiasco.

I told the guy we are out in the sticks and no vehicle can come down the road without us hearing or seeing it. I also told him about the Nov 5th event that I let slide. I said "they have GPS on the trucks don't they?" He told me they do. I said can't they pull the GPS and see that truck never went down my road? He said they can. There is a road about a mile away that parallels us. I don't know how accurate the GPS is, it may show him by us on that road. It is a much busier through road.

Anyway, he gave me a case number. We'll see what happens. It is our regular carriers day off. She is off Thursdays & Fridays. She will deliver it tomorrow I'm sure. I'm not expecting much to come of it. Nothing really.

I suspect many don't file a complaint just because they expect it will only make it worse, since I didn't complain last time and it happened again so soon, hell might at well. Of course there is that thought that these people who are liars, and slackers also know where you live! Neighbors look out for one another here though, so not to worry. We have security and the Golden Retriever, can't come around here without us or our neighbors knowing it.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving, we did, big family get together with all the great grand kids there.

NO SIGnature

Posts: 2050 | Location: London, OH | Registered: January 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to grow up now
Picture of George85019
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
quote:
Originally posted by George85019:

You can't blame them for that... You see a random dog are you going to get out?especially if it's a substitute mailman. You never know with dogs, especially with dogs you don't know. Too many bad dog owners out there. I have to say if I was a mailman I wouldnt get out either if there was a dog loose

I don't blame them for that, that is why I take her out on the leash if we are expecting an important delivery. As I did all day today!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention our USPS regular gal gets a Christmas bonus, as does the regular UPS guy. The one we had with UPS used to be great, he retired. This guy not so much, he still gets a card.

Someone said they give the mail guy a case of beer. How do they do that? Mail it to him? Surely he can't have it in the truck at the station? Do they box it up or wrap it so they can't tell what he's toting?

NO SIGnature

Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
7:50pm? Was it dark? You're in the sticks? You have a dog that roams around? Is your box more than 1/2 mile from the box? It's the day after a holiday, so I'm sure they were swamped with parcels.
If it's an Express you get a refund if it wasn't even attempted by 3pm.
And yes, the GPS can tell almost exactly where you are.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to grow up now
Picture of George85019
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
7:50pm? Was it dark? You're in the sticks? You have a dog that roams around? Is your box more than 1/2 mile from the box? It's the day after a holiday, so I'm sure they were swamped with parcels.
If it's an Express you get a refund if it wasn't even attempted by 3pm.
And yes, the GPS can tell almost exactly where you are.

Yes, it was dark. No the dog does not roam around when I'm expecting an important delivery.
The neighbors have invisible fence as well, the one across the street doesn't have any dogs. If an animal comes on our property our dog knows it. At 7:50 PM there were no animals roaming around. The truck did not come down our road, period.
Yes, they were swamped so they cut the route short and went home, my point exactly. 2nd time this has happened in less than a month. Both times 2 day shipping, and no I did not get a refund on the first one, but I didn't file a complaint either.
Supervisor said nothing about a refund, we will see. There was no excuse for this not being delivered today. Was it dark? Really? We had the house and property lit up like the 4th of July just so this would not happen. I drove a city bus for 25 years, night shift. What? USPS can't drive in the dark? Our drive is about 100 foot from the road, there is plenty of room to turn around or he can back in, it's a double wide drive well lite from our outside lights.
Yes, I know there are great USPS employees, our regular lady is one of them. So was our old retired one. Ditto UPS.
I worked with some great driver's too, but there were too many others that were just plain assholes. They would cut the route short, pass up passengers, and treated the public like crap. It took an act of God to fire them due to the union.
And we heard about it, if we took a vacation when we came back our passengers told us the details. This person is just lazy. Don't you get overtime if you get in late due to the season? We surely did. Yes, I know, it's a long day, it's busy from Black Friday through after the 1st of next year. Been there done that. I'll I'm asking is this person do their job. Our regular lady does.
Thanks for trying to help, and yes I'm hacked off right now, so if I'm I bit snarky I apologize.

NO SIGnature

posted Hide Post
quote:
Someone said they give the mail guy a case of beer. How do they do that? Mail it to him? Surely he can't have it in the truck at the station? Do they box it up or wrap it so they can't tell what he's toting?

Since you asked, here's my little secret. Now, don't tell anyone.....

I go to the Supermarket across the street and purchase a gift card for the amount of the case of beer. Then, follow me now, I give the gift card to the Mailman a few days before Christmas and he goes and buys the Beer with the gift card I paid for to give him.

Isn't that slick!!!

Next week, I'll give you instructions on how to buy USPS stamps.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post