SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Toyota styling, again
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toyota styling, again Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted
About a year and a half ago I posted a thread about Toyota's front end styling, with the scowling eye headlights and gaping mouth grilles that look like giant angry largemouth bass (Yaris) or some kind of space alien. Well, now I give you the CH-R. Bing Images - Toyota CH-R Every overstyling cliche in the book in one car. It looks like it fell out of an ugly tree, hit every branch on the way down and landed in a mudhole. You can't possibly see anything out of it, and in fact, Consumer Reports cites this as one of several reasons why they don't recommend it.

Posts: 27839 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Yup.

Despite however hideous they make these things, somebody will buy it because it is 'the new...'.

Should sell to the crowd that is desperate for attention. It screams 'Look at me! I have purple hair, a nose ring, and a CH-Rappy car!'

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
I had a CH-R as rental a couple of years ago. It was a fun little car. Looks better than a lot of other cars I’ve seen.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I remember renting a Ford Edge a number of years ago and was shocked at the extremely poor visibility it had. The rear window was this ridiculous little slice and the side windows sat so high up. It felt unsafe to drive to me that’s how piss poor the visibility was. Eek

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Visibility is one of my pet peeves in cars. It is one reason I like Subarus so much. They have great visibility.

Besides the poor vis, which Toyota seems to keep making as a mistake, think FJ Cruiser, it is wildly ugly. Maybe it looks better in person but I doubt it.

My first car was an 89 Toyota Corolla with the pop up headlights. It’s still better looking than today’s Corolla. Their stying is just off.

Totally agree with your rant. (They dis nail the new RAV4 styling, now if they actually put a real motor in it lol)

Posts: 7350 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

I remember renting a Ford Edge a number of years ago and was shocked at the extremely poor visibility it had.
I have an Edge and I agree with you. It's the one thing that I really dislike about this car.

The A-pillars are really fat, and just behind them are really big side-view mirrors; this combination makes it almost impossible to see where you're going to wind up when you go around a corner. Even worse at night.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30548 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
It’s a CUV, what do you expect? All most of them are, are raised hatchbacks. They all look like trash to me. To me absolutely pointless vehicles. Give me a true hatchback (handles better, lower COG), a truck, or a proper SUV. They are so many things like this Toyota on the road today from every mfr. imaginable.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I never thought much about Subaru vehicles until I rented and outback while driving through Montana.

That doggone car kept giving me pleasant surprises. The visibility, location of controls, little touches that implied the engineers may have actually seen, driven, and worked on an actual car made me a fan.

I still don't own a subaru, but I'll include them in my next search.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It’s an Aztec on steroids.

Posts: 10828 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
If they could just make the back as ugly as a 1972 Buick Riviera . . .

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30548 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I don’t think Toyota is capable of building a good looking, fast and fun car anymore. Their SUV’s and crossovers are ugly sure but the same can be said for 99.9% of all the other crossovers out there.

A car page I used to follow showed the silhouette of every major crossover on the market and from the angles they took the pics they all basically looked the same with only minor styling differences.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21078 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
It's not quite early KL Cherokee or Aztec ugly, but it gives them a run for their money. Every new BMW also qualifies for the ugly list with the Bucky the Beaver front ends they put on everything this refresh.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Mercedes GL series is starting to have the big mouth too. I saw one yesterday and remarked to my wife how it looks like a Toyota now.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I test drove one back in 2018,

nice ride, tight but comphy inside,

very limited visibility out the back and rear quarters

re the grill or fascia, Lexus looks like a Cylon, and toyota scales that back a bit

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Just wait until BMW ups it's grill game, again.. Big Grin

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
VW's engineers actually recognized that the front ends on new cars are ugly. They just released an all electric that's actually attractive up front. (Not a fan of either VW or electrics).

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
If they could just make the back as ugly as a 1972 Buick Riviera . . .

Beautiful.

Then again people cut the center section out of their split window corvettes because they thought they were ugly and hurt visibility.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
Not the worst I've seen by a mile. Not for me still, and the lack of visibility on it is what I'd be more concerned about. Then again, no plans on buying a cuv or any hatchback for that matter or just anything unibody until body on frame is no longer viable to buy.

But I do agree, toyota has a track record for odd looking front ends or just ugly (fj cruiser for ugly, 4th gen 4runner front bumper looks like it has an underbite).

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a FJ Cruiser and like the look of it !
It is not like most other cookie-cutter vehicles out there and damn sure ain't no JEEP !
The only other Vehicle I might get, is a H1 or early H2.
I like ugly.

Posts: 363 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The FJ isn’t ugly it’s one of the few things Toyota did a decent job on in recent memory. It should have been a drop top like the original FJ but it was still something I consider to be an overall positive effort on Toyota’s part.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21078 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post