Toyota styling, again

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/8340047084

March 26, 2021, 09:55 AM
Prefontaine
Toyota styling, again
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I don’t think Toyota is capable of building a good looking, fast and fun car anymore. Their SUV’s and crossovers are ugly sure but the same can be said for 99.9% of all the other crossovers out there.

A car page I used to follow showed the silhouette of every major crossover on the market and from the angles they took the pics they all basically looked the same with only minor styling differences.

Toyota 86 (BRZ, and the new one looks fantastic).

Yaris GR4 (Titties!)

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone
March 26, 2021, 04:06 PM
pedropcola
We obviously have a different definition of titties.

FJ isn’t necessarily ugly but it does have horrific visibility.

As for crossovers I don’t get the angst. It’s a 4 door sedan minus a trunk. Who cares? Clearly the market prefers a hatchback to a sedan. Having owned both I certainly think the hatchback is more versatile. A lot easier to drive my dog around in a crossover. Good enough for me. I think it’s just become common to hate crossovers because they are everywhere. Good news for those guys is that the market is fickle, sedans and mom jeans will always come back. Lol
March 26, 2021, 06:50 PM
NK402
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
If they could just make the back as ugly as a 1972 Buick Riviera . . .

I like that. Wasn't it called a boat tail?
People complained about the 1963 Corvette split window coupe. So they removed the split on the '64 model. Now everyone wants the split window.
March 26, 2021, 08:36 PM
mikeyspizza
quote:
What, you don't like boats? Big Grin
March 27, 2021, 05:17 AM
egregore
I recently learned the term for the phenomenon of seeing patterns (like angry fish and Cylons on the fronts of Toyotas) in inanimate objects: pareidolia.
April 08, 2021, 11:37 PM
Legal Beagle
quote:

Can't tell if the car is the back of something Green Hornet drives or the front of Optimus Prime's disappointed looking grandfather...

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.
April 09, 2021, 02:56 PM
jhe888
quote:

Love it or hate it, the Rivieria is a distinctive look. The CH-R is at least a little unusual-looking, too.

So many cars are all the same. I can't tell one SUV from another.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
April 09, 2021, 03:57 PM
.38supersig
I happened upon a new Range Rover today.

Ugly. As. Fuck.

At first I thought it was a kit that the owner had put together themselves. Maybe a taped over Bronco mule? Nope! Ugly. As. Fuck. Like being under an outhouse after giving out free samples of Turbolax.

I wasn't able to have a conversation with the driver to see if they were under the influence of a Schedule 1 controlled substance.

Maybe they lost a bet???

Confused

April 12, 2021, 07:20 PM
p08
I have a 2021 4Runner and love the looks, visibility is awesome as well.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.
April 13, 2021, 05:33 AM
calugo
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I'm OK with the styling of most Toyota vehicles including the Camry, Corolla and their SUV's. The one thing I don't like about Toyota is all of their vehicles seem to be slightly underpowered compared to the competition. I like the aggressive styling of the CH-R but when I looked at the specs it seems a bit lacking in the HP department and I prefer a car with some get up and go.

The only car I think Toyota really dropped the ball on was the new Supra. Im not sure why Toyota felt the need to collaborate with BMW to build the Supra but it didn't add value to the project. Toyota should have built the car with styling cues from the last generation Supra or borrowed from their Lexus division to help design/ build the car. The LC500 is a incredible looking car while the Supra is an ugly duckling.
April 13, 2021, 08:35 AM
mutedblade
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
The one thing I don't like about Toyota is all of their vehicles seem to be slightly underpowered compared to the competition.

That's the beauty of Toyota engines. They are so reliable because they don't beat themselves up Big Grin

April 13, 2021, 01:44 PM
CoolRich59
quote:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I'm OK with the styling of most Toyota vehicles including the Camry, ...

You are correct. In my case, the front grill of the Camry was such a turn off that I changed my mind and walked out of the dealership.

Everything else about that car was terrific; it had the upgraded engine, loads of features, and I really liked the drive. But, as I was standing in front of the car, talking to the salesguy, I kept looking at that huge grill and said "No thanks".

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant
April 13, 2021, 03:55 PM
calugo
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
quote:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I'm OK with the styling of most Toyota vehicles including the Camry, ...

You are correct. In my case, the front grill of the Camry was such a turn off that I changed my mind and walked out of the dealership.

Everything else about that car was terrific; it had the upgraded engine, loads of features, and I really liked the drive. But, as I was standing in front of the car, talking to the salesguy, I kept looking at that huge grill and said "No thanks".

Initially I didn't like the grill on the Camry but eventually I grew to like it so I ended up with a 2015 XSE.
April 13, 2021, 07:45 PM
1s1k
Well just be glad they have't gone as far as Lexus with the front ends. They are getting close to as ugly but not quite there yet.
April 17, 2021, 08:03 AM
.38supersig
^^^

Yeah, I don't know why someone would want a car with a spittoon on the front.

The J.C. Whitny catalog went in to full effect with this one:

Maybe the designers that did the sides weren't allowed to communicate with the stylist who did the back?

The double sets of tail lights and the white squares on the side are there because ? ??