SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Gullible people
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gullible people Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Wife watched a TV program on "Mystery Hill" in Blowing Rock NC.

"There's something weird in this mountain. Objects roll up hill. Water flows uphill."

Bull.

Shit.

Tourist trap with some clever optical illusions.

But noooooooo, science/physics be damned, it was on TV and she saw it with her own eyes so it must be true.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
? I've seen it. The car rolled one way and the water flowed the other....

It's close by- Take the wife it'll be a hoot.

Magnetic Hill (Moncton)

The Magnetic Hill is an example of a gravity hill, a type of optical illusion created by rising and descending terrain. It is located at the northwestern edge (In the Magnetic Hill Area) of the city of Moncton in the Canadian province of New Brunswick.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_Hill_(Moncton)

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
That is one word which is not in the dictionary. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
There's one here in Florida, too. Somewhere near Winterhaven.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
There isn't one in Kansas...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
There is also one near Burkittsville, MD aptly named "Spook Hill" where "ghosts of Civil War soldiers" push cars up the hill. Burkittsville was the supposed setting of the fictional "Blair Witch Project". There are a few shots from the town in the film.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
But just think, if it weren't for gullible people you wouldn't get all those bullshit calls and emails.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
My wife is very gullible even being highly educated but I love her dearly. Her problem is she trusts pretty much everyone. I am the opposite.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have one in the upper peninsula, the Mystery Spot, I believe it's called.

I expected the thread to be some kind of "The fact that all of you are reading this just proves my point" sort of content, but risked being grouped with the gullible to check it out anyway.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
My wife is very gullible even being highly educated but I love her dearly. Her problem is she trusts pretty much everyone. I am the opposite.

Would that be the edumacated part or the trusting part. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
There’s one (gravity hill) off Hwy 21 in western NC before the mountain to Sparta.

I’ve done it half a dozen times.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
We did a gravity hill somewhere in PA last year. It was fun.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The "Mystery Spot" in Santa Cruz is a good one. You're not really a cool cat unless your car has a Mystery Spot bumper sticker.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16267 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
Pennsylvania has Gravity Hill
http://www.gravityhill.com/

My wife and I toured Bedford County covered bridges and came across Gravity Hill. Basically a country road, no cost, no sales pitch, just a few lines and instructions painted on the road.
Clearly an optical illusion but it's fun and it does appear that the car is moving uphill.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 715 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post