Picture of dwd1985
posted
Null

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dwd1985,

Posts: 4449 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Plus sometimes the shipping companies just make a mistake.
Last month I bought some brake parts (rotors and pads) for my wife's car.
Said was delivered.
I have cameras and saw the truck but it did not stop.
Luckily, it was accidently (or negligently depending on how you look at it) was delivered to a neighbor > who graciously brought them to me a few days later. Smile

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I started having things shipped to my office around 2001.

I have never had a package "stolen".

At worst has been a package "re-addressed" and delivered to an incorrect place, but given the anecdotes of other people having packages lost or stolen, this works for me.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I have had an account at the local UPS Store (originally called Mail Boxes Etc.) for more than twenty years.

I never need to worry about porch pirates, never get the "sorry we missed you" slip, never have to go to the UPS or FedEx hub.

The UPS Store folks sign for the package, send me a text or email to let me know that it has arrived, and keep it safe and secure until I can get there to pick it up.

If I am expecting something perishable, I just let the store manager know and she will make room for it in the refrigerator where the employees keep their lunch.

Cost is nominal and well worth it for the security and convenience. Additional benefit is an address that is not your residence. This is good for personal security.

Check it out if there is a location near you.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
That does suck, sorry he didn't take care of you.

I've found it very helpful to have an online account with Fedex, UPS and USPS. If I'm going to be out of town I can put a hold on all three. There's a nominal charge for UPS per item delayed, but nothing if there are not planned deliveries.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

We are fortunate to live in a place where our house is 100 yards from the street (house faces north/south, street runs east/west). Anything left up against our little used garage door (which is where we've trained our regular delivery people to leave things). We go in and out of the garage much more often than the front door. The garage faces east, so anything left there is invisible to the street, due to various natural obstacles, plus the genset blocks the view. Getting close to our house sounds several dog alarms. Friendly dogs, but that is not obvious to a stranger, with the Wolfhound's big deep bark and his size. The dogs are fenced in, but the fencing extends down both sides of the driveway so anyone is met as soon as they turn in. It's not immediately apparent that they cannot get out, even up by the house. We haven't had a stolen package since we moved here in 2002.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I started having things shipped to my office around 2001.

I have never had a package "stolen".

At worst has been a package "re-addressed" and delivered to an incorrect place, but given the anecdotes of other people having packages lost or stolen, this works for me.

I did this as well when I lived in an apartment in Chicago and worked downtown. At least I did until I got called into my boss's boss's office. When I walked in, there was a 35lb Delta anchor with a shipping label slapped on the shank and a 500ft spool of 5/8" inch 3-strand nylon rope sitting next to his desk again with a label slapped on top.

He wasn't amused when he looked at me, asked what's this, and I replied an anchor. He says he knows that, what's it doing on my desk? Apperently, the mailroom people weren't thrilled and had delivered the items to him.

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I'm an owner. Big Grin

And with computer systems and various hardware that comes in, all "my stuff", is
"just more boxes".

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
We get a lot delivered for my wife's business, things like this are why we got a ring doorbell.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post