SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    LED light bars...grrrrr
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LED light bars...grrrrr Login/Join 
in the end karma
always catches up
posted
I was blinded three times in less than 20 minutes today by some twat waffle with a giant LED light bar. It was so bright it blinded me in the middle of a sunny day. Really, whats the point? It is the middle of the day and it's sunny out. If we were on some dark highway or off roading in the desert I would understand, somewhat, but really on regular highways. All three were some old POS lifted truck.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
There's a beat-to-shit Mom Van running around here with what looks like a 3 foot long LED light bar mounted on the roof.

I crack up every time I see that POS drive by. Where the hell is he going to go in that thing were the light bar will be anything but decoration?

I'll have to see if I can't catch a picture of it, it's hilarious.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Valpo Fz:
Really, whats the point?

Just like train horns, loud exhausts, and engines tuned to "roll coal", the point is to deliberately be as obnoxious as possible.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Valpo Fz:
Really, whats the point?
Just like train horns, loud exhausts, and engines tuned to "roll coal", the point is to deliberately be as obnoxious as possible.
Amazing, isn't it, just how successful some of these folks are, in that endeavor.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back when I had my boat I kept a 1 million candlepower 8 inch spot light on board. Since LED's have become so popular recently I have come to regret not keeping that spotlight, because you really could blind someone for a brief interval with it. However since using it in that manner is probably illegal it's probably a good thing I don't have it. Just wish the Police would actually ENFORCE the Law in regards to the use of accessory lights on a motor vehicle.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just another reason to hate china junk. Be it LEDs or HIDs, the cheap china shit makes it easy for your average idiot to slap them on his POS and blind other drivers. At least when that stuff was new you had to pay to play.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I get it if your running the 24 hours of Le Mans or out in nowheres ville and deer are everywhere.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see people on the highway with those on during both daylight and night hours. They are jackasses pure and simple.

Posts: 2017 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Back in the day when cars had two sets of round lights, high- and low-beam, I used to replace the high-beam bulbs with aircraft landing lights.

Boy, could you ever see a good long ways down the road with [i]those[/b] babies.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Back in the day when cars had two sets of round lights, high- and low-beam, I used to replace the high-beam bulbs with aircraft landing lights.

Boy, could you ever see a good long ways down the road with [i]those[/b] babies.
The last car that I had, that used 55W / 45W high / low beam halogen bulbs, I used 100W / 45W bulbs. There was a little tab in the socket that was there to prevent these bulbs from seating. My mechanic friend filed that tab off, took him about 45 seconds per side.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
There's a beat-to-shit Mom Van running around here with what looks like a 3 foot long LED light bar mounted on the roof.

I crack up every time I see that POS drive by. Where the hell is he going to go in that thing were the light bar will be anything but decoration?

I'll have to see if I can't catch a picture of it, it's hilarious.

Sometimes you have to do work out in the field, like on a truck in a lot without lighting or something of that nature and do need that much light for other real reasons.

I don't agree with these other idiots. We have a TON of lifted, hot rodded, diesel trucks here in South Florida where there is no offroading for over an hour and they don't have a single scratch on them and have never seen even a dirt road in their life and I just laugh at them.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This has bothered me for a while. As long as these light bars have been around I am really surprised it took this long for this to show up here as a rant.

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Me too. I wish the DPS and Police would start ticketing these fools. There must be something they could be written up for.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one. When I flick the switch, I want you to be able to cancel your membership at the tanning salon!
But I don't use it in traffic.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I have one. When I flick the switch, I want you to be able to cancel your membership at the tanning salon!
But I don't use it in traffic.

The difference is that you live in the Boonies up in the Yoop, and have an actual need for something like that.

Whereas the majority of the folks with stuff like giant lift kits, oversized mud tires, light bars, and the like, spend their time driving around in the city and never even think about leaving the pavement. It's all for show.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And it has paid for itself a couple times over lighting up some suicidal Yoop deer standing in the ditches.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Me too. I wish the DPS and Police would start ticketing these fools. There must be something they could be written up for.

Sometimes the police are the biggest offenders. So many LEDs and strobes going at once that I am completely blinded as I drive by.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Some asshat had one turned on just above his bumper in the rain last week. I blasted him with my factory bi-xeon hid high beams until he/she turned it off. Makes me want to become a police officer just so I can drive around and ticket the lighting morons... Yes I know I'm not supposed to flash mine but someone's got to do it

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

My dad did the same on his Datsun, it was either a B210 or a 510.
One of his buddies attempted the same.

My dad's car had all metal trim/grille. The buddy's was plastic, it didn't end well. Those bulbs get mighty hot.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15317 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put some bulbs in the headlights of my 1996 Isuzu Rodeo that were something like 135 or 150 watts on High, 90 on Low, but in four years of driving, nobody had a problem with my lowbeams since I kept them aimed properly. The Highs were reserved for lonely country roads or blinding the occasional asshole, and they served very well for both.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post