SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Separation of work and play
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Separation of work and play Login/Join 
posted
The question occasionally posed is should I make friends at work. While I had work friends, I never interacted with them off the clock. Perhaps my loss.
But today, there is this

The Airtasker survey then narrowed down politics specifically to being pro-Trump, and found that:

3-of-10 (29%) of hiring managers said they would not hire a job candidate who supports President Trump. Of these hiring managers:
20% of managers who identify as “left” said they wouldn’t hire a person who supports Trump.
9% of managers who identify as “right” said they wouldn’t hire a person who supports Trump.
Even if they were hired, pro-Trump employees experienced the following from their co-workers:
28% experienced “joking about them”.
23% felt their co-workers are “overly critical of them”.
23% said their co-workers “make assumptions about their character”.
21% said their co-workers are “dismissive of them”.
14% said their co-workers gossip/spread rumors about them.
13% said they are socially ostracized — “excluding them from social situations”.
11% said they experienced “name-calling”.

https://fellowshipoftheminds.c...re-pro-trump-workers

Posts: 1401 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Betcha their co-workers get all their info about President Trump from the News media democrat propaganda machine, too.

Posts: 26894 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Why on God's green earth would presidential support come up during tbe hiring process?

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Something something about not discussing politics, sex, or religion. You’re at work to do work not run your mouth. Just because coworkers might doesn’t mean you have to join in. Ain’t nobody convincing anyone that’s triggered by bad orange man to change their mind. Same rules can apply to off hours interaction with coworkers. It ain’t hard.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never brought up politics in a job interview, never hired anyone who did. Never hired anyone talking politics while waiting for the interview, either. I considered it as "off limits" a subject as sexual preference, etc. Why stir the pot or allowed it to be stirred? I did fire a guy for kinda being political. Showing up for work in full Klan regalia is frowned upon.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Claim "Hostile work environment" after you're hired.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Just think of the good ole capitalistic days when you just hired a person (or took a position) to do a job for a sum of money (and perhaps other monetary benefits). Frown

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And believed in quaint things like merit

Posts: 1401 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amen to the 2 posts above me. Times have changed and doing a good job is 3rd or 4th on the list now.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:
should I make friends at work.

I never let the worlds collide.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16677 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Why on God's green earth would presidential support come up during tbe hiring process?

Exactly.

That 29% of managers that wouldn't hire a Trump supporter? They are 100% percent discriminatory and open to getting their ass and the company sued. I am a hiring manager, there are are questions that one does not ask during the process. If one asks those questions, and gets an answer, that opens up possible claims of discrimination.

IANAL but have interviewed and hired many.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
NO way in hell do I discuss politics in the office or at after hours work social functions....

Bad it has gotten bad ....Hell I do not even make them turn on the video when I interview someone...I don't want to see them ...so if I am sued I can honestly say I did not know their race.

A buddy of mine went through 2 years of depositions and such because he released a black woman who was not good at her job.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post