SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Chintzy pants pockets and zippers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chintzy pants pockets and zippers Login/Join 
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted
Shallow pants pockets that won’t reliably contain my pocketknife, keys, and small change really chap my ass. Nearly every pair of short pants I have purchased recently suffers this fault. A couple times a week I have a panic attack because I can’t find my damn pocketknife. It’s usually in my recliner or between the edge of the car seat and the transmission hump.

And zippers that are so short I can’t easily fish my doodle out to take a quick whiz are equally unsatisfactory.

Garment makers, go ahead on and spend the extra buck to put worthwhile pockets and a man-sized zipper in your products.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Duluth cargo pants fit the bill. They are expensive but worth the extra.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Agreed,
That and zippers with a tiny zipper 'handle'

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I pretty much only wear 5.11 Taclite pants at this point. They cover all your bases. Now you've got me wondering if they have a shorts version of the pants.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And I firmly believe that there is a special spot in Hell for the man who screwed up the common zipper with the "two way" zipper.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Half of my jeans have a change pocket that'll fit my truck and house key. The other newer half have a uselessly small change pocket. Same brand and I thought same model.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Yep... ~50 years employed in construction, electrician, plumber, and lastly factory work plus two different side businesses... tree and firewood business and a sign making shop I ran for 10 years... all wearing good ol rustlers and wranglers and I never lost a single knife.

But the last five years I have lost three knives (one expensive) on account of the newer style pants pockets. Bless her heart, but I'm gonna have to stop my wife from buying pants for me and my daughters buying pants for me for Christmas I guess.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
And give me 7 belt loops... damit!

Don't even think about a weak arse 5 or 6...

SEVEN

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
You won't have those issues with Carhartt jeans. Their zippers are rock solid, long and reinforced backing. The pockets are deep. Pretty much all I wear nowadays.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want zippered pockets in my tactical shorts. I wear shorts cause I'm active, zippers are often the only thing keeping shit in my pockets. I found ONE company selling these in the last two years, and they're imported from England. WTF? As the OP says, the rest dump your pockets at their convenience.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

I wear their Fire Hose cargo pants, and like their quality except for one thing. The dang zipper is too short, 1" shorter than other name brand cargo pants, like 5.11. One of their best features, IMO, is the cargo pocket flap. It is cut back so it fits down inside the pocket without wrinkling or forcing it. There are also velcro pieces inside the pocket to hold the flap there.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vertx

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

I wear their Fire Hose cargo pants, and like their quality except for one thing. The dang zipper is too short, 1" shorter than other name brand cargo pants, like 5.11. One of their best features, IMO, is the cargo pocket flap. It is cut back so it fits down inside the pocket without wrinkling or forcing it. There are also velcro pieces inside the pocket to hold the flap there.

Yeah that's why I stopped wearing Duluth jeans.

Now, I have a couple pair of Orvis shorts that have great pocket depth, and my standard jeans are LL Bean which also have good length pockets compared to a lot of others I've had.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post