SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Lawn Mower blades
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lawn Mower blades Login/Join 
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted
This morning I finally got around to changing the blades on my ZTR mower. Did not realize how bad they were. Guess 5yrs is pushing it a little to far. The old blades look like they are beyond repair/resharpening. Had to do the old school method of 4x4 wood block to hold blade while wrenching on shaft nut. Manual wrenching with a big box end wrench and a manual screw jack to try and break loose the shaft nut . Used a motorcycle jack to pick up front end of mower. Took a solid 2hrs to complete job. At one point was wishing that I had taken it to someone to get the job done. But now the finished cut of the yard/grass is worth it. ...P.S. last 4 rs cut the next door neighbors front yard when I cut my yard adds less than 15 minutes and she pays with smoked pork and smoked deer sausage that I use for seasoning. .......................................drill sgt.

Posts: 2002 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Just FYI, a battery impact wrench takes ALL the pain out of that evolution.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I barely get 1/2 a season out of a set. Too much Bahia.
Well, lots of rocks also....

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I have a Kubota Zero Turn. I have 2 sets of mulching blades that I rotate every 8 mows or so. I use a pneumatic impact wrench to remove them. I use an angle grinder to sharpen the takeoffs. Sharp blades make a huge difference in mowing speed and quality.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Impact is your friend.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
Sharp blades make a huge difference in mowing speed and quality.

A lot better for the grass too.
Minus power tools, some anti-seize and tighten away. If you have an angle grinder, use a flap wheel but be careful, they hog metal quick. I use a 120 grit wheel, a couple light passes on a decent blade should do it.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8330 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Same thing here. Since I don't change them much it's like learning to do it all over again every time.
But the outcome is nice.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
We got some pretty thick grass that grew very quick. I used our mower blades for 3 years before finally getting them sharpened. Made a huge difference in efficiency.

Will definitely keep that as something to do regularly.

Posts: 13097 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's something I need to do also. Got a few yard tools that need a little spa time with the belt sander.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There’s a device called Blade Buddy that locks the blade to the deck making loosening blade nut easier .

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
This time of year I’m mowing every 4-5 days due to growth and keeping the grass at about 2”. As a result I swap blades (have two sets) on the Honda about once a month. As others noted a flap disc on an angle grinder makes quick work of sharpening and the resulting cut is noticeable.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have a more traditional Cub Cadet. I take the deck off for Winter storage. It’s easier to get at the spindle grease zerks, fits the shed better.

I check the blades in the Spring, often sharpen, change if required. My mow areas are mostly rock free, keep the blades up a bit. I like the cut of sharp blades.

It seems 3 replacement blades are about $45 online. Taking them off at times ensures one is able to get them off.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

Gospel freakin truth right here.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:

Preach on brother!

That job would have taken all of 10 minutes with 1/2" drive impact. Sharpen your blades at least once per season people. Very easy to identify a lawn that has been cut with dull blades, the tips of the grass are all torn and yellow.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
quote:

Preach on brother!

Sharpen your blades at least once per season people.

I can jack up the front of my ZTR with a high lift floor jack and have the blades off in two minuets with my Milwaukee cordless impact... actually quicker probably.

I once researched how often the pro's put on freshly sharpened blades and lots do it daily... or about every 8 hours.

And I rotate the position of the blades much like tires on a car.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Anyone got an effective blade sharpener for mower blades?

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I once researched how often the pro's put on freshly sharpened blades and lots do it daily... or about every 8 hours.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What is this a Dayton 500 for mowers?

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
We have the blades sharpened when the oil gets changed and air filter blown out, in addition to anything a post-season inspection reveals as warranted. Just another reason why our 25 yo lawn tractor is in such great shape. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16196 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:

As mentioned above, a flap disc on an angle grinder works well.

If you have a belt sander (or better, a belt grinder) you can produce a more consistent edge.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:

As mentioned above, a flap disc on an angle grinder works well.

If you have a belt sander (or better, a belt grinder) you can produce a more consistent edge.

Thanks. Is there such a thing as a guide tool to make sure the angle is consistent or is it just practice? I have trouble maintaining the angle along the whole cutting edge.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post