SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Vacation... uggggg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vacation... uggggg Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
Wife and Daughters decided we need a vacation while the local schools are out for the big annual Tennessee Walking Horse Show here. Yea! Roll Eyes

They booked a cabin.
In Gatlinburg.
And invited ~13 family members.
Through Labor Day weekend.
With 4 days of rain predicted.
Traffic will be insane... or worse
Cades cove, which I normally love, will take hours to do the 11 mile loop.
And I will have to foot the entire bill. Bank of Pa-Pa it seems. Lodging, gas, food, entertainment...
And... I am expected to GO!
With two days warning.

Don't get me wrong, I love east Tennessee.... just not under these circumstances.

Pray for me Brothers and Sisters.

On the up side there is Knife Works, and the hot Apple Pie a la mode at the Apple Barn.

I do try to remind myself I'm the only one retired in the bunch... I forget about "needing" a vacation.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Just buy a couple bottles of jack,sit in the front poach and leave the GUEST alone. Wink

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Buds and knife works just keep chanting that. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
You're going to NEED a vacation. Good luck brother.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
HELL no. A vacation is just another form of work since my family expanded. The only difference between that and work is that the net pay is negative.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
Not trying to get your chops but I'm going to play devils advocate. You should be very proud that you have the ability and means to do this for your family, people that care about you. Think of the happiness you're a part of. Yes, it may not be as relaxing as you would like but try to find the positive.

After losing my job last December, my wife and daughter being in an accident in February that totaled our 2nd car (I was still unemployed at the time) and then a cancer scare with my wife recently, I've got a new found appreciation for the little things. I wish I had the ability to take my family on a vacation like we did the previous two years.

Like I said, I'm not trying to give you a hard time and I hope you have a great time.

Posts: 2337 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
They booked a cabin.
In Gatlinburg.
And invited ~13 family members.
Through Labor Day weekend.
With 4 days of rain predicted.
Traffic will be insane... or worse
Cades cove, which I normally love, will take hours to do the 11 mile loop.
And I will have to foot the entire bill. Bank of Pa-Pa it seems. Lodging, gas, food, entertainment...
And... I am expected to GO!
With two days warning.

I did volunteer work for the Park Service while at the University of Tennessee. I went nearly every weekend year round. If you are up to walking some there are some very beautiful trails that will get you away from the crowds. We used to joke that the tourists drove up to Clingman's Dome, took the loop around Cades Cove, asked some dumb questions and then left. Check with the Rangers when you get into the Park. Usually the AT is pretty crowded with serious backpackers, but short hikes have hardly any people on them. Ramsey Springs, Charlie's Bunion and Abrams Falls come to mind. Rain is good because it limits the crowds, just wear a good Poncho. Have fun

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I KNOW your pain. Although I agree with birddog1,
My wife and I booked a family vacation this summer in S. Ohio, near Wayne N.Forest.
We booked a big cabin. Just my brothers and sisters and our best friend and his wife.

Unfortunately they brought their grandkids.

We paid for ourselves and my sister, but we bought about half of the guests meals at a nice restaurant on the way.
It was really tough on me. The grand kids there got two of the beds and 2 adults had to sleep on couches. The grand kids part of the bill was not figured as far as dividing up the cabin cost.
They should not have slept in a bed when paying adults did not.
Then the noise....late late nights and early mornings. As soon as some of the guests got up, it was time, apparently for the rest of us to get up. Banging drawers and talking loudly etc.
I loved the 2 hours we went riding on our ATV and UTV, but other than that...it was tough.
It was a lot better when we went with our kids and their spouses, instead of my brothers and sisters etc.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by birddog1:
You should be very proud that you have the ability and means to do this for your family, people that care about you.

You are indeed correct of course!
I thank the good Lord for giving me parents that instilled a strong work ethic, honesty and self responsibility in me by example. That and the good graces from above have allowed me to retire fairly comfortably at 60.

We have been blessed.

Hopefully this will go better than expected, but I'm keeping my expectations low... so as not to be disappointed! Big Grin

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Buds and knife works just keep chanting that. Smile

LOL! Yea well last year I dropped ~1k with them.

Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bank of Pa-Pa

Big Grin

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Ok. This might work, but for the stupid rules...

silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
Man, that looks great. I think that sign is more of a "suggestion", not really a rule. Besides, it's only a problem if you get caught. Enjoy your vacation my friend.

Posts: 2337 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I don't call being with 13 other people a vacation. hang in there.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post