SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Joe Pesci Was Correct About The Drive-Through.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Joe Pesci Was Correct About The Drive-Through. Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Rogue's Rule # 1 is usually a good one. However, when my wife and I have both worked a long day, sometimes it's just easier to grab something on the way home, rather than preparing a meal.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but in my area there are a number of options for quick and easy food that aren't chain fast food restaurants, for days I don't feel like preparing something. And it's better, healthier, and even generally cheaper than fast food.

Food trucks, delis, smaller local restaurants that offer takeout, grocery stores with premade food items, etc.

And I live in a city of only ~80,000, in a metro area of only ~500,000. Those in larger cities would have even more options.

I guess I could see the struggle for folks living in tiny towns in the boonies, whose only options are either McDonalds, a lukewarm hot dog from the town gas station, or cooking it yourself at home. However, surely the Orlando Metro Area (population 2.3 million, nearly 5x my area) has plenty of other options besides fast food...

Sounds like you might need to broaden your horizons and/or explore your city a bit more. Be a little more adventurous. Skip the fast food and chain restaurants. Find and try those smaller local businesses, with higher quality takeout options and more competent staff.

Or just keep going back to the safe and familiar fast food places and accept that the food is going to suck and your order is going to get screwed up. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I haven't gotten fast food (or eaten out at all)for well over two years. I see nothing has changed.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe I'm just lucky, but in my area there are a number of options for quick and easy food that aren't chain fast food restaurants, for days I don't feel like preparing something. And it's better, healthier, and even generally cheaper than fast food.

Good point. I lived in a rural area of Wisconsin, think 75 miles to the nearest mall and there were quite a few Mom and Pop restaurants as well as taverns that served good food. There was not a fast food place for over 30 miles. Those places are sadly being invaded by the chain restaurants.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
How about all the lecturers in this thread mind their own fucking business whether the OP chooses to eat fast food or not. You don't like it, fine. Don't lecture others on what they should or shouldn't be doing with their food choices.
Roll Eyes

Posts: 33602 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
How about all the lecturers in this thread mind their own fucking business whether the OP chooses to eat fast food or not. You don't like it, fine. Don't lecture others on what they should or shouldn't be doing with their food choices. Roll Eyes
Thank you. I was thinking along those lines, but did not say it. Sure, there are a lot of choices in the metro area here, but not that many on my way home from work. If I have been working a long day, and my wife has had a long day at her office, neither one of us is in the mood to drive around looking for alternatives. We may not choose to eat fast food, but when we get home from work at 8:30 pm and are looking at an early start the next morning, we will make do with something that is on the way home. At the same time, it should not be unreasonable to expect that simple instructions, like "NO LETTUCE," should be followed.

On days that timing is not a problem, we do not do fast food. Today, for example, I got everything dealt with at a reasonable time, and have time to prepare an actual meal: fresh Dover sole, fresh asparagus, and baked sweet potatoes. I even think that there's a bottle of Chardonnay in the refrigerator. I would love to do something like this every day, but our schedules just do not permit it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Update: Damn, that was good!
quote:
On days that timing is not a problem, we do not do fast food. Today, for example, I got everything dealt with at a reasonable time, and have time to prepare an actual meal: fresh Dover sole, fresh asparagus, and baked sweet potatoes. I even think that there's a bottle of Chardonnay in the refrigerator.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
I had an order at Wendy's a short while back. Ordered a couple of items (I can't remember what) and a diet Coke. Total was almost $8, I thought that sounded right. $5 sandwich, $1 value menu item, $2 for a drink.

Get to the window, pay, then get my feed bag and there's only one item. No drink, no second item, nothing. Look at my receipt and the one item was correctly priced. I think it was a chicken sandwich.

So not only did I not get everything I wanted, I paid restaurant prices for a shit sandwich. I was hungry and if I started getting into it I knew I was going to get loud and angry. It wasn't worth it.

Yes, please, let's increase minimum wage to $15, I'd so very much love to input my order into a robot that will do exactly what I tell it to instead of a person who puts about as much effort into their job as I put into their job.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
I eat by myself, a lot. So I love drive throughs, they get my orders right MOST of the time.

I'll take that risk over having to interact with even more people.

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Pesci was talking about bank drive-thru's shorting you on check cashings, which brings me to my rant of the evening, which has to do with bank closures. Everytime I turn around, another BB&T has a For Lease sign on it. I don't mind them closing the buildings, if they'd leave the damned ATM behind. I was on the way to a gun show, this past weekend and usually stop at this bank for some cash. CLOSED. Tired of having to find a convenience store and cough up a fee for getting cash.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Rogue's Rule # 1 is usually a good one. However, when my wife and I have both worked a long day, sometimes it's just easier to grab something on the way home, rather than preparing a meal.

Rule # 2, yeah, but my wife does not tolerate onion on her burger, and both of us have had bad reactions to lettuce.

Rule # 3, hmmm . . . They accept my money and they claim that they prepare everything to order.

For the price of fast food these days (I went to Wendy's today and for lunch for both me and the girlfriend, it cost around 20 bucks) I'm pretty much of the idea that I will do the "order ahead" at a sit down restaurant like Applebees, Chili's or the like. It isn't THAT Much more expensive, and with curb side pickup, I can go in, pick it up myself, inspect it, and bitch if it isn't right. And then I'm still on scene to put my foot in an ass if it isn't right.

Fast food places are getting closer and closer to putting themselves out of business.

I almost posted it here, but let me friggin tell you about an experience I had at a McDonalds WITH the kiosk where you order your food yourself. Normally that is the best option but this time it royally screwed me, and almost poetically, made me even later by having to get the screw up dealt with by the even more incompetent clerk i attempted to avoid with the kiosk.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Had a guy working for me and we would go to a fast food restaurant and he always has to special order... then we would sit there at the table and he would unwrap his sandwich and sloooooowly examine it... and at least 50% of the time it would be done wrong. The dumbest thing fast food did was get into the 'have it your way mode'... it's supposed to be fast and that is because they make it one way.... I have never ever ordered a special burger at McDonalds, Burger King, Hardees, Windys or where ever because of one reason... I hate to be disappointed.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I try to avoid fast food. However, there are times when it's the only practical option because of where I happen to be, and the fact that I have time constraints that preclude traveling out of the way for a better choice.

As far as "have it your way," there are some things that I just do NOT want on a burger. I do not want lettuce. I do not want mustard. I do not want "special sauce." My wife does not want lettuce, nor onions. I can see the possibility of a problem with adding items that are not normally part of the package, but there should NOT be a major problem with deleting things.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
The new McDonalds "made fresh" policy has done nothing, other than to slow service. The food tastes the same. My son and I went to one a month ago. There was one other couple in the store and they were eating. It took them 15-20 minutes to prepare our order and when it finally came, it was wrong. My quarter pounter ordered as "no pickles, no onions", came with plenty of both but no cheese. It took another 10 minutes to get a replacement and again, we were the only people there. Their excuse was that they were all now made to order.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
Say you have an allergy to what you dont want. I had to order happen wrong once. She lost her job because i pointed out you were told and ignored, so it looks like attempted murder

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:
Say you have an allergy to what you dont want. I had to order happen wrong once. She lost her job because i pointed out you were told and ignored, so it looks like attempted murder

Lets not get carried away here.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post