SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Uber Ripoff ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Uber Ripoff ? Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted
I ordered a ride from Uber today.

The driver could not find the address, she claimed her GPS took her a mile away from my location. It was a very simple numbered address and numbered street, not at all hard to find. In fact it's a major street. I gave her directions and then she showed up.

Ok, no problem at all. I understand completely. No issue at all.

However, once she dropped me off at my destination I got the emailed receipt a few minutes later with a higher cost. Further looking revealed a different pick up address (further away) and also what seems to possibly be some sort of waiting time.

It's not a lot of money but it puts a burr under my saddle.

Posts: 11814 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Give her an accurate, truthful review.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
It's not easy to find but I FINALLY found a way to contact and dispute Uber. Having done that I'll wait a while and see how that works out.

posted Hide Post
Seems she was trying to charge you for her not finding your address the first time. And the waiting time for her to call you and correct it. She ether entered it wrong in Goggle or it's Goggle's fault, now she thinks you should pay for her's or Goggle's whops.

Posts: 437 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
That would bug me too but it could have been an honest mistake. Hope they make it right for ya.

Posts: 10828 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
As a former Lyft driver, I can't stand Uber. It's popular because it's the first of its kind and survives off word of mouth from people who have no idea how to differentiate between good service and bad. Uber has never had any type of new driver screening or quality control. It'd be great if the world woke up and realized what a shitty service Uber is.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With Uber the ride doesn't start until you are in the car. You and the driver are in the same place. Sometimes if there's traffic and the ride takes longer it's a little more (just like a taxi, standing time at lights etc.)

I use Uber a lot and have only had an issue with 1 driver.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Don't you have to confirm your pick up location with the Uber app? Then the Uber app should show it on her phone and she doesn't have to use a separate gps unit.

I also believe there's a way to refute the charge with Uber.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dispute and Uber should refund part of the ride.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I ordered a ride from Uber today.

The driver could not find the address, she claimed her GPS took her a mile away from my location. It was a very simple numbered address and numbered street, not at all hard to find. In fact it's a major street. I gave her directions and then she showed up.

Ok, no problem at all. I understand completely. No issue at all.

However, once she dropped me off at my destination I got the emailed receipt a few minutes later with a higher cost. Further looking revealed a different pick up address (further away) and also what seems to possibly be some sort of waiting time.

It's not a lot of money but it puts a burr under my saddle.

My daughter needed to use my Uber account one day to get to school and the driver somehow got really turned around and wound up on a freeway then had to go a few miles to get back on track. He still charged her full price so i contacted Uber and explained the situation, they refunded total ride

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Update: I received an email stating they've credited the overage back to my card, so we're good now.

Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
... I can't stand Uber. It's popular because it's the first of its kind and survives off word of mouth from people who have no idea how to differentiate between good service and bad.

Agreed. The first couple of times I used Uber, it was great: competent drivers, clean cars, on time pick up, etc.

It seems as they got larger, Uber's service quality rapidly diminished. The last time I used them, the guy showed up in a run down beater. Despite having the GPS on his phone providing the route, the driver still managed to miss several turns and I had to constantly watch to make sure we got to my destination.

Notwithstanding the lousy experience, I still gave him a tip -- only to discover that he gave me a negative rider rating.

I'm using Lyft from now on.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sort of on topic, heads up to any Uber drivers out there: saw a story the other day that Uber had ordered/bought 24,000 2019 Volvos and they are suppose to be fully Autonomous. We'll see if they are, but it's a game changer that they even think autonomous cars will be fully ready and deployed in 2019.

Driver free cars in 2 years. https://www.engadget.com/2017/...volvos-self-driving/

Means that @ 2021 we might see them...:-)

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
About a 1.5 years ago, the gal I was seeing had totalled her car (drove over the center median, ripped her oil pan off, and kept driving until the motor seized) and I was home recovering from knee surgery (i.e. I couldn't drive and certainly wasn't loaning her my brand new truck). She wanted to come over so I ordered up an Uber for her, and it should be $11 as we're both close to exits off a toll road. The Uber driver doesn't have a toll tag so proceeds to take a long circuitous route to avoid tolls, gets lost, doesn't understand English worth a shit, and when she finally arrives it's $23. I contacted Uber and they reduced the charge to the $11 direct toll road route.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
As a former Lyft driver, I can't stand Uber. It's popular because it's the first of its kind and survives off word of mouth from people who have no idea how to differentiate between good service and bad. Uber has never had any type of new driver screening or quality control. It'd be great if the world woke up and realized what a shitty service Uber is.
It depends on the city. Around here, I have had nothing but crap experiences with Lyft. Other cities, It's the opposite. I don't know why.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dallas239:
quote:
It depends on the city. Around here, I have had nothing but crap experiences with Lyft. Other cities, It's the opposite. I don't know why.

Because around here, the Lyft drivers know who you are! hheehehehehe

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
My company "encourages" us to use Uber drivers on corporate travel. I'm not happy. Let's think, I land in Detroit, ask a stranger with no credentials to take me to a place I don't know in DETROIT, rather than use a Metro Car or a bonafide airport taxi. Ain't gonna happen.

Uber XL are a joke. No XL size cars have ever shown up. We had to cram six guests into one Uber and the driver was yelling at us to hurry up. Quite the impression for our guests from Japan.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I just use cabs. At least I know they had to get a hack license to drive their cabs.

Posts: 3370 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only used Uber for one chunk of time (December '16-January '17) after my car was totaled and I was waiting for my insurance to pay out so I could replace it.

My experiences were pretty positive, clean cars, decent drivers, etc. One thing I noted while talking to them was that in my case, alot of the local Uber drivers had just moved to the area, and were using the app as a way to learn the area and make a bit of money while doing so.

Not a bad idea IMO...some of the local delivery drivers did the same. One in particular owned a pretty successful business but had just moved here...was pretty funny when this well-dressed, clean-cut 40-something year old man would arrive to deliver pizza or Mexican driving a 2017 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Big Grin

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post